Announcement

Collapse

If you feel a post is inappropriate

Hi folks,

Just a quick note in regards to the moderation of the group. Sometimes if I am a bit short on time or if we get a lot of posts at once I may have to just skim the overall gist of the posts rather than reading them word for word before I approve them, also we all have a different perspective as to what is acceptable and thus there may sometimes be the odd post that gets through that you may feel is inappropriate. And while this doesn’t seem to happen very often if there is anything that anybody reads and feels is inappropriate then please feel free to either shoot me a PM or use the contact form to let me know and I will always be happy to take another look at it.

Please keep in mind however that a post does have to be quite bad or harmful to the group as a whole for us to delete it, I don’t like to be too heavy handed with that kind of moderation and try to reserve it for only when it is absolutely necessarily as generally I like people to be able to have their say and most things can be ironed out with dialogue and often we can all learn from it, that said if you feel something is inappropriate like I say please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to take another look.

All the best,

Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!
See more
See less

day #2 quitting marijuana

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice
    replied
    Hey 'Day 2 and anger' (betterlife),

You might find this book very helpful to deal with the chronic pain and the anger: https://www.actmindfully.com.au/book...d=855&catid=61

My psychologist has told me about people with chronic pain who find that they are able to get on with living with the help from ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. It is helpful for addictions too.

I know what you mean about the anger and aggravation. I know those feelings well from my own experiences quitting other, more psychological addictions. I think the trick is to let your emotions float past you like a leaf on a river. You can't control those emotions. To be honest, in my experience the best thing is not to 'hook up on them', because they are just a symptom of your withdrawal and they will pass.

You are doing great! I agree with what Aussiegirl52 says too. You can do anything you set out to achieve.

Let us know how you are going.

Alice

Leave a comment:

• aussiegirl52
    replied
    Hi betterlife,
    I can relate to what you have written and what you are going through.
    I'm on my fourth day of not smoking, it helped me to keep myself distracted, also to write down all of the reasons i want to quit even when my brain is telling me not to. It helped me to make a list of reasons to quit and then another list of reasons to keep smoking. It is easy for us to let our minds convince us that all of this is impossible, but in reality, even on the our worst days, we are always capable of doing the things we put our minds to. We just have to ride out the crappy feelings for awhile, our minds are used to smoking, so it will take a little time for us to get back into normal frames of mind. I wish you all the best luck, I believe in you, if I can do it, you can too. If you happen to give in, that is okay, try again the next day, if you don't give in, even better, pat on the back for you. We can help each other through this if you like I also could use some support and motivation.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Day 2 and anger

I'm on day two as well. I'm quitting for myself and for my fiancé. I have a incurable chronic pain condition which I've been using weed as an aid to help with the pain for the last two years. I don't want to take the hard pain drugs the docs want to hand out. But unfortunately I'm unproductive and always tired and my fiancé "misses me". I hate the way it makes my lungs feel, but obviously love the way it takes away the pain. I decided to quit and now I have all this anger directed towards my fiancé. It's only day two, but what should I do about my anger? I know I'm doing this for myself, but in the back of my head, I think..."she's doing this to me".

Leave a comment:

• Alice
    replied
    Hi there,

It is good to read your process here. I think that quitting weed is a journey, and the more you learn about yourself and what you want, the closer you get to being free.

I was the same. I started the process thinking that I was pretty functional, and through cycles of abstinence and falling off the wagon, I got closer and closer to the mindset that helped me to quit for good. When I did that, I realised finally just how different my level of function could be. I was amazed at how my brain power increased significantly at work and school.

One thing that I would say to you, for you to keep in mind is the basic facts of the neurochemistry. After we become addicted, we have opened up a whole heap of dopamine receptors in our brain. The process of quitting (and the reason why withdrawal is so crap), is the closing or dying off of these receptors. However, if we slip, then those receptors all open up again, and as many as were there on the day you quit - so even if you can hold it at a level for a few weeks or a month or so, eventually most people find that they will smoke the same amount as when they quit.

I guess I am telling you this because I think it is good to be aware of on your journey. You might think that your slip has opened your eyes, and I would say that it definitely has. It is probably worth it, to come closer in touch with your motivation to quit. However, I just wanted you to be aware that every time you slip, you reopen the receptors and so therefore you go back to square one, in a way.

Nonethelesss, you are one step closer to being free. It is really great to hear!

Keep us posted! Keep going!! Great work
    Alice

PS. When you do make the jump, I would agree that the withdrawal effects don't necessarily last that long. For some people it can be longer, but it sounds like your experience is quite hopeful.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Didn't slip until the weekend

I appreciate the reply, here's an update to how it's been. The first two days were the worst, by day 3 I was starting to feel better. Day 4 i was beginning to realize I completely forgot how it felt to be not high, and by day 5 I was feeling like I could really do this. Then day 6 happened.

Day 6 was a Saturday and at work everyone starts talking about weed. Then my best friend wants to come over with pizza, wings, and 2 blunts with enough for 3 good bong bowls. With the wife out of town and apartment to myself, I just couldn't resist.

Thing is though, even though I slipped tonight I understand why I slipped. I was able to go 6 days before I smoked and I realized that I could be happy being sober too. Tonight for the first time I saw more of the cons of weed. Like coughing up black tar after feeling pretty good for a bit, and having to get rid of all evidence before my wife comes back because I don't want to admit I slipped.

Unlike when I originally quit, this time I threw out my bong and I really didn't like the harshness of the blunts nor this shit I'm coughing up now. They didn't even make me that high. It's kind of like how it was when I once smoked cigarettes for 5 years. Once I quit and eventually tried one again, it grossed me out more and more each time I went back to it. Smoking a cigarette makes me sick now, and honestly the bong water smell and blunt smoke makes me wonder how my non smoking wife tolerated my smoking all this time.

Another thing, I lost about 7 pounds this week by simply not eating entire Doritos bags and spending a lot of time on an elliptical strider working through the detoxing process. The substance itself isn't addictive and has medicinal benefit, but it got to the point where I was abusing it. Over the years I became fully functional and if I didn't tell you I smoked you'd never know because I've been able to keep my shit together. But it's been a serious psychological bandaid and crutch for nearly 12 years. It really does get better once you get past a few days and commit to it.

Leave a comment:

• Alice
    replied
    Hi there,

Hang in there, it will get easier. I understand that you feel grouchy, irritable and aggravated, because that can be the nature of addiction. Your neural network is not getting the dopamine that it is used to, and it is making you grumpy!

It is good to hear that you enjoy exercising and that you have your dogs. I think anything that can help you to feel even a little bit good in the first stages will really help. Dogs are the best people!

I would suggest not holding on too tightly to the fact that 'the people in your life suck'. You might change your mind when you balance out. Saying that, do try to give yourself some credit. You are doing a great thing, and nothing good comes easily. Your withdrawal symptoms are only temporary.

It sounds like you have a lot of good reasons for quitting. This will help you to find the right mindset to give you the capacity for success.

I found that writing here and reading as much as I could about cannabis addiction helped me to kill time, distract myself and reinforce my mindset.

Good luck! Let us know how you are going

Cheers,
    Alice

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    End of Day 2

I began in 2006, trying to stop in 2017. It's a combo of fearing drug tests, really needing a better job, and the very same people that hit me up for weed in my family all the time don't respect me. Two days ago I quit cold turkey and it's been hell since.

I'm fighting with my entire family, things with my wife are stained because I've gone from fairly happy to completely insane mood swings, and I have huge gaps of time where I'm totally listless and depressed. I can't workout 24/7 and already spent 45 minutes aggressively exercising.

It's been lots of cold sweats, horrible anger, coughing up some nasty black tar, pounding headaches, losing weight because I can't eat even when hungry, and absolutely no one is supporting me. All my contacts are smokers. Only person that isn't a smoker is my wife, and she's keeping far away from me because I'm wildly unpredictable right now. She's in bed now, I'm sleeping on the couch with my dogs. I feel like my two dogs are all I have and won't judge me.

The future scares me, because being sober is making me realize all the people in my life suck. Even my wife whom I thought would've been proud of me for trying to make our lives better. I'm trying to write memos and notes for myself so I can basically be my own coach and provide the support no one in my life will.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Happy

Im glad this post is still lit, im on day 2 and this ad has helped me alot thanks guys

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Reading these posts have been so uplifting!!! i am 27 and I have been smoking for 9 years every single day. The last few years I have thought about quitting more times that I can count. As we all know it's not always that easy. The easy thing is to light up another when life gets you down.

I started to reflect and I there has not been a time that I have not been smoking my entire adulthood, and I really want to experience what that feels like. I have become stuck in this life that I have made for myself and I'm not really happy with it. I feel that smoking marijuana somewhat enables me to stay put exactly where I am, in life so to speak.

I am closing up day 2 of no smoking and It's not an easy task. I crave so bad. I stopped smoking cigarettes, 59 days ago. This is a lot more difficult. I believe in myself that I can do it. I believe in you guys that you can do it. If we set our minds to something, anything is possible.

Reading this thread has been an inspiration to me. I am not alone. Just knowing that makes this goal I have all the more obtainable.

Leave a comment:

• Alice
    replied
    Thanks for your vote of confidence. I think that you can do this too. Just take one day at a time and know that things will get so much better if you persist. Your mind power will come back and you will feel productive again. It is happening to me, and although I know how hard it is to get out of the loop, I also know that once you do manage to get out of the loop, life is so much better.

Do I have any tips for those early days when you are struggling with physical cravings as well as the fact that your mind is at it's most weak? One thing that really worked for me was to reward myself often, with nice things, like a lovely shower, or a take away meal, or a nice night out at the movies. I think that our brains need to learn to feel pleasure again and because weed affects our dopamine systems which is the pleasure creating neurotransmitter, the more quickly you can learn to find pleasure in other activities or treats the better you will feel.

Drink lots of water, try to get some exercise, eat as healthy as you can! If you are really determined and I think that you are, you can definitely achieve this and turn your life around.

Posting here about your experiences and supporting other people can definitely help, because it helps to reinforce a positive mindset about your desire to quit.

Good luck!! I wish you all the best and hope to hear from you again soon :-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Day 2 is the worst

I moved to a state that has legal marijuana so that I wouldn't have any legal issues. Unfortunately, I learned that I can't handle it the same way others do. It became my drug of choice and has inhibited me from doing my job and developing relationships here. As much as I didn't want to listen, my world started to close in. Drugs and alcohol aren't meant for me, natural or not. I love marijuana, but I can't handle it if I want to be productive.

It all started so subtle, "Oh, my ADD meds aren't working anymore", "I can't remember what basic steps to my job that I've been doing for 3 years", etc.Depression from quitting my ADD medication has only been amplified by continued use of marijuana and now that I've quit marijuana I've been on a roller coaster.

I've been here almost 5 months and feel like I'm failing at life. I went from getting by at work, which isn't typical, to struggling to complete assignments to off work until I figure out what's going on.

And here we are day two, it's tough and beating me down. I have to go back to work tomorrow because I told them I'd be ready. I'm in an unfamiliar city and far from home. I have no choice but to quit or become homeless. I can do this and so can you. Stay strong!

Leave a comment:

• lolita
    replied
    Day 1

I'm a 26 year old female and have been smoking for about 8 years, with a break of about 1 year and a half when I was pregnant and sometime after giving birth.

It wasn't until maybe 6 months ago that I began to feel like it was an addiction. I've tried to quit many times, but haven't been successful. Usually lasting only about a day or 2 sober. Well this time I really want to detox. Smoking pot has began to affect my personal life. I've been smoking in the morning before work, during lunch, after work, and then a couple more times after work.

I have a 4 year old and she is the sweetest. Every time I want to stop smoking I get so irritable that I snap at her. I feel horrible about it so immediately go buy some weed. Which is why my detox has only lasted a couple days.

It's day 1 and I feel good psychologically, but not physically. Already started with the anxiety, irritability, chills, and loss of appetite. I really am looking forward to quitting for a while. I love weed and I don't want to stop forever. I just want to go back to not being so dependent on it like I used to be. I would only smoke before bed and on the weekends. An eight would last me a whole month. Lately I was down to half an ounce in a month. It has also been affecting my bank account.

I found this forum and I think this will really help me get over this addiction.

Leave a comment:

• Artist girl
    replied
    You are obviously bright! Keep going!

Leave a comment:

• Cannabis Rehab Admin
    replied
    Traffic to our site does fluctuate but the stats show plenty of people still read the posts even if there are times when there are not as many posts, also I think due to the nature of the subject often more people will read than post but rest assured people are still listening.

You are going to feel very pissed off and probably for a good while and unfortunately I don't think there is an awful lot you can do to avoid it, it's just one of those having to let your system readjust type things, just make sure you get as much exercise as you can force yourself to get if possible as this will often help to make you feel better and heal faster. Also eat right as much as you can and drink plenty of water. Try and keep busy to prevent boredom and feel free to share here whenever you feel the need. Good luck with your rehab!

All the best,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Day 2

I'm on day 2 after 15years of smoking. I must admit I am wondering if I can do this. I don't know whether anyone still reads these posts but what I can say is that reading your stories makes me feel stronger and more positive and hopeful about staying clean. I am doing this for a drug test in a couple months.....but I too want to see what life is like without it. Everything seems to piss me off right now and I sweat myself to sleep last night. Cheers to all of you fighting the same fight I am and thank you for sharing and making me feel as if I am not alone.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
Working...
X