Announcement

Collapse

If you feel a post is inappropriate

Hi folks,

Just a quick note in regards to the moderation of the group. Sometimes if I am a bit short on time or if we get a lot of posts at once I may have to just skim the overall gist of the posts rather than reading them word for word before I approve them, also we all have a different perspective as to what is acceptable and thus there may sometimes be the odd post that gets through that you may feel is inappropriate. And while this doesn’t seem to happen very often if there is anything that anybody reads and feels is inappropriate then please feel free to either shoot me a PM or use the contact form to let me know and I will always be happy to take another look at it.

Please keep in mind however that a post does have to be quite bad or harmful to the group as a whole for us to delete it, I don’t like to be too heavy handed with that kind of moderation and try to reserve it for only when it is absolutely necessarily as generally I like people to be able to have their say and most things can be ironed out with dialogue and often we can all learn from it, that said if you feel something is inappropriate like I say please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to take another look.

All the best,

Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!
See more
See less

Anxiety, and Depression after Marijuana (2 months), need advice please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety, and Depression after Marijuana (2 months), need advice please.

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
    I know this is a common topic on these forums which is why I came here. I've smoked the drug on and off before with long breaks without problems. Up until 2 months ago I had smoked chronic amounts of the drug for about 4 months. I would smoke very potent the drug from the club, and about 8-10 grams a day. Upon quitting I went through the usual withdrawal symptoms including the physical ones. For the first few weeks I felt totally disconnected, and panic attacks everyday. I have had anxiety and depression disorders before, it was first brought about after an ecstasy overdose 4-5 years ago.

For the first time since then it is back, and worse. These are the symptoms I am having.

- Anxiety, feels constant, but worse at times.
    - Depression
    - Hopelessness (Because I Feel like I am stuck this way)
    - Fear of losing control, going insane.
    - Intrusive thoughts, and racing thoughts
    - Numb (I cant remember happiness, even if I think of happy thoughts)
    - Inability to think or focus (I can't focus no matter how hard i try)
    - Disconnected from reality, perspective on life has become more cynical, and I feel like I am not in my head at all, or not part of reality anymore

I am not sure if I am experiencing depersonalization or derealization, but all these issues appear to stem from my anxiety, and worsen as my anxiety worsens. When busy with my friends they subside, but the numbness and depression is still very real.

My questions are

- I know everyone's brain is different, but on average how many more months should I take to feel like I am back in reality, and depression improving. (I am 2 months in)

- Will Anti-Depressants speed up the process of healing (Reason being, I know my neurological receptors are shutdown for the time being so do anti-depressants speed up the rewiring, and turning on of these receptors?)

- Is there anything else that can speed up the healing?

I am very thankful for your help, let me assure you I am more than in need of help, and happy that theres people on CannabisRehab.org like all of you.

Anxi3ty:

It's as if your story is mine. I am not a profesional in the field. I will only give advice based on my personal story. Your symptons shout that you need Pschiatric help. Yeah it feels really bad to hear that, but if the instrusive thoughts and the anxiety are overwelming you probably need help. I quit cold turkey but my anxeity and depression were terrible. So I started going to the psychologist... that didnt help much the problems were probably more profound.. after A couple of months I was practically forced to go to the pschyatrist.. he diagnosed OCD and gave me Lexapro, and since then everything got better. Of course I hate depending on a drug to feel ok, But if I just stop taking it the symptons come back in two days. Maybe not as bad but they come back. Its been 14 months since I quit but If I had gone before to the pschyatrist I would probably be better by now.

Anything else ? Yeah excercise! A lot of excercise helps with anxeity and depression, I really think it does.

also I would recomend spiritual growth.. be it a religion meditation or whatever you like.. the method of meditation and thinking in something beyond your actual problems helps.

So If you really intend to stay sober you got to heal yourself of all the abuse you did to yourself, so do it we will be sending good vibes!

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice, however, I am not sure if I want to be anti-depressants. Fourteen months seems like a really long time. How long ago did you get on meds? If i were to go on them I wouldn't like to stay on for more than 3-4 months.

Comment

I hve been taking antidepressants for about 5 months.Of course you dont want to be on antidepressants, its humiliating, expensive and kind of ironic to detox on drug to take another but if your doctor says you need them its cause you need them ...right?. So I take them and it helped alot.

Smile your on your way back

Comment

Hi Anxi3ty and welcome to the forum.

WOW 8-10 grams a day that is a lot even I didn’t smoke that much, the most I ever did was about an half ounce in two days but that was an exception, usually it was about an eighth a day and I thought that was a lot, now wonder you are feeling a withdrawal.

To be honest I can’t really say how long it will be but many people feel better after a couple of months so there is a good chance it won’t be that much longer.

In terms of whether you should take medication while I do think that there may be people who do need that kind of medication, mainly those who are not neuro typical to begin with, personally I would probably try to manage without it if you can, like I say it’s not that I don’t think it has its place but I would probably try to do without it if you can, your brain will probably readjust naturally in time, hopefully it shouldn’t be too much longer.

Hang in there, thanks for posting and please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best
          Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

Comment

Anxi3ty:
            How are you feeling now? I'm 4 months into quitting the drug & never felt anxious or had any panic attacks my whole life before i quit, but now my life's completely turned upside down. I felt as though i could've wrote your first post. Thats the exact way im feeling. I've been seeing a dr & therapist & my main problem is constant anxiety, which led to bad depression because i feel like i completely ruined my chance at a worry-free happy life. Im still hoping it'll get better. Im learning how to face my fears though.
            Anywho, on the topic of anti-depressants, I've been on the lowest dose of paxil for 32 days now. & Guess what? Haven't noticed much of any change. (Other than the first day made me very bubbily) The type of anti-depressant i'm on is supposed to boost serotonin. It could take up to 6 weeks to feel the effects of an anti-depressant, which is the worst part. I'm seeing my doctor in 4 days to see if im supposed to change doses, or on a whole different type of anti-depressant.
            Let me know your progress, Your not alone. & It sucks that anyone would have to go through such punishment for smoking. Keep your head up

Comment

Hi Unregistered1234 and welcome to the forum.

I think many of us have extremely similar experiences from quitting marijuana, although that said they can also be quite diverse too, but I think many of us feel like we could have wrote many of the posts here by others ourselves. As far as your treatment with the anti depressants go as you say they can take up to around the 6 weeks mark to kick in, although again I think we can all have different experiences as with any type of drug or medication, but yes it may be a little bit too early to tell as to whether you are going to find them effective in treating yourself, although I am sure your doctor will take this into consideration, they might say let’s give it a little bit longer I don’t know, I guess you will just have to see what they say.

Anyway as you now know many of the symptoms we experience as a result of quitting marijuana can be similar especially when it comes to things like anxiety, that particular symptom can be extremely common so try not to worry too much, you may find that given another couple of months you may feel better and may not feel the need to take them at all, yes unfortunately when it comes to the psychological symptoms people can experience when they quit pot it can take a fair amount of time to get back to normal, even the kind of length of time that you are experiencing, so here’s to hoping it won’t be too much longer before you get back to normal and perhaps hopefully won’t then need to treat it with medication at all, but like anything else in regards to this issue you just have to give it time and see how you do, but chin up and try to stay positive many people do find that once they have gone past the six months mark they are back to their old selves psychologically, just try to take it one day at a time and well done on the 4 months mark, that is a pretty big achievement in its self especially as you are not finding it easy, that takes some real will power, I think you are doing really well.

Take care, thanks for posting, all the best and please keep us posted on how it goes.
              Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

I am at 40 days clean and sober, I would not have mode it this far without my morning exercise. Depending on your physical condition I would advise some some strenous exercise in the morning. like 30 minutes after breakfest go out and walk?run for as long and as hard as your are capable of. This really really helped me. Also, you might read the thread on the L-Theanine and see where that leads. http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...hdrawal)/page3 If it don't ease up go see the doctor. Good luck! It's a roller coaster ride; take it day by day.

Comment

Great point buzzhog, exercise is a great way to help your body produce the feel good chemicals, supplements can help too.
                  Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

Hi,

I quit smoking just shy of 2 weeks ago. I've smoked off and on for the past 9 years... sometimes on a regular basis... sometimes just on occasion. I've always smoked the drug off the street that i got from friends and people i knew as most of us do and have never had any issues with stopping before, until now.

Right about the begining of this last Dec (2010) one of my buds started getting a hold of medical the drug that really thru me for a loop once i stopped. I wasn't having issues with anxiety as far as i can tell, (but im not a doctor) and wasn't really craving the drug either except for the first day or two. Yet since i've stopped smoking i have a really serious problem sleeping. During the day i'm fine and i feel normal, it's a night is when it starts getting ridiculous. I've been having terrible hot flashes and night sweats. i'm not talking like hot flashes that occur once an hour or every couple hours. I'm talking 3-4 every minute or two. I usually wake up a handfull of times per night laying in wet sheets cuz of sweating... even with the covers off. I cant sleep at all. My gf tells me it's freezing in the room and i'm layin on the bed next to her feeling like im on fire. Does anyone have any idea what i can do?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!

Comment

still anxious?

i know im a little late, and i dont know if anyone even will reply to this but my story is kind of the same as the thead makers. not exactly the same, but i can relate when you said you smoked 8 to 10 grams a day for 4 years. although i smoked a little more, i used to be a heavy dealer and had all the weed in the world.. actually in the town haha, little corny weed humor but anyways.

the first 2 -3 years were the worst of my addiction, and was the peak of my smoking problems. i was smoking at least an ounce a day between 3, 4 ppl. these ppl were my best friends at the time, and too were smoking as much as i was. i actually didnt know anyone who would, could, should smoke as much as us untill i started recently going on these forums. and i only came on these forums to see if i can help and get help.

i am a month clean as of tomorrow, and let me tell you it has be pretty easy. but thats only because the reason i quit wasnt because i had too for a new job, or because of probation or any physical reason. But mainly because i was very concerned with my mental health, my social life with my friends, family and just socializing with ppl period. ive had really really bad anxiety about a year into smoking weed. but i just would smoke it off and of course make it worse. depression followed to the point i became almost suicedel. thoughts def came but never followed through. paranoid as shit, i would think that everyone talked about me behind my back, and that when i went out i would think everyone knew i was high. but that wasnt the worst part. i got paranoid to the point where i thought the illuminati was going to take over and shit lol it was so wierd. and last but not least i had wierd dilusions and my deception of time was off. what felt like 10 years of smoking turned out to only been 4 years lol idk.

but i was one of them ppl that thought i was never going to get better. but a month in and i can honestly say im like 60 oercent back to my old self. i learned that your mind is a very powerful thing. it works like this. if you tell your brain your sick and really really convince yourself you are, you will be sick. same with recovery and everything that comes with it. if you think your anxiety and deppresion isnt going away its because your thinking about it too much and your brain wont get better. you have to tell your self you are and than you will notcie the improvements. i promise you this will work and is your problem..you know how i know? because this isnt my first attempt at quitting. i quit last year as well but this was due to probation and i had to quit for a month before they stopped drug testing me. but back than my sysmptons were at there worse, i had really bad anxiety depression, paranoia, depersonalization and everything you were feeling but i was the popular kid in school, so i always had ppl who wanted to smoke and hang out and party or chill so i wasnt allowed to be anti social. this yeat alone as been my anit social year, and got tired and is one reason i quit. but any ways back than when i quit i remember i never seen any progress in my mental stater, i didnt know i had real issues tho back than. so although i wuit a month i did not feel any change, i still had weed fog and all the above.

but i learned alot, alottt since than and figured out my sysmptons and learned how to address them. if your like me, you dont need a phyciatrist because ive always been the strong minded person, and can handle almost any situation, including this one. so this time around when i quit i went in with everything i got and not my anxiety has actually lifted about 70 percent, my depression is still here but it comes and goes and when im in a good mood, they last longer and longer. thats improvement. and it will only get better. my paranoid thoughts are almost all gone, ive learned to think like my old self, and day by day my memory is getting better. im like 70 percent back to my old self, and my old personality. im still not as witty with the jokes, and pick up lines but im getting there.

before weed i used to be a very popular, modest, but confident, funny, good looking smart guy.
                      weed has turned me into an anti social wierdo with hardccore social anxiety, low life. left me with no money, lost 3 good jobs, got a couple of criminal records, dui, suspended license, and turned me into a loser.

a month into quitting weed, i got a good job making about 600 a week serving, got my old friends back, the ones i used to chill with before weed, got my relationship back with my family and especially my twin sister, and and learning to socialize again. i can finally make ppl laugh now which is amazing. but yea kudos to you sir for quitting.

things will get better, you have to really concentrate on thinking things will.. you will have more bad days than good days, and it will take time. optimisum is the key. try to stay up. i know how hard it is when the depressioin takes over but fight it. its like a boxing match, you have to fight back or youll be stuck wondering if youll get better or if you need to see a phyciatrist to be put on meds. NO. all the medicine in already in your brain, you just have to be strong and patient. meds will make them feel better but it will cause you hard as well. there not healthy.. good luck

Comment

fter smoking weed/skunk for about 4 years, one joint every couple of days, as well as drinking heavily and working loads, and maybe just enjoying life a little too much, There was no problems.Then out of nowhere, in November 2011, after smoking a joint ( in amsterdam , I was at a music festival). I got this horrible feeling, of a sore head, disoriented, unable to talk or concentrate on anything. I had a cold feeling all over, and tingling/numbness/weirdness in my arms and fingers. I basically thought I was going to die, or go crazy. I presume these were the symptoms of a panic attack? My legs felt funny and I was dizzy etc.After about an hour, I felt normal, and thought , it must have just been some strong stuff or something totally different.Once it wore off I thought nothing of it and tried to go back to normal.
                        Then after smoking a joint on the 10th November 2011, the same feelings came back, so intense this time, like totally freaked me out , same physical symptoms, and I suppose after looking up online this was another panic attack.
                        For about 10 days after this episode, I couldn’t sleep and was having worrying thoughts about everything, scared that I was dying , or going mad etc etc. I didn’t know about panic attacks before this, so thought that I was going to have a fit or stroke etc.So for a few weeks after this 2nd attack , I DECIDED THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG & THAT I WAS GOING TO STOP SMOKING CANNABIS.
                        Over the next few weeks, I had a couple of instances of the tingling feeling creeping in, and the weird cold feeling in my hand/arm. But nothing as intense as the 2 big attacks. And started feeling better physically.
                        Although I felt depressed kind of. Not myself, and not really interested indoing anything. I also decided to stop drinking as well as smoking both weed and cigarettes.
                        I HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PANIC ATTACKS RECENTLY, AND HAVE STOPPED SMOKING WEED ETC. FOR 4 MONTHS.
                        HOWEVER I STILL FEEL A BIT DIZZY, AND WOBBLY SOMETIMES, AND JUST A WEIRD FEELING. SO NOT SURE IF THIS IS ANXIETY/WITHDRAWAL OR A MORE SRIOUS ILLNESS ETC?
                        SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY ABOVE BASICALLY, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR ADVICE/THOUGHTS ON WHAT IS GOING ON HERE:

HAVE I DAMAGED MY MIND PERMANENTLY BECAUSE OF MY LIFESTYLE?
                        AM I EVER GOING TO GO BACK TO MY HAPPY CARE FREE SELF?
                        WILL I NOW SUFFER FROM ANXIETY PROBLEMS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE?
                        COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE A WITHDRAWAL EFFECT FROM STOPPING SMOKING CANNABIS AFTER SMOKING QUITE A BIT OVER FOUR YEARS?
                        IF SO WILL THIS WEAR OFF AND WILL MY BODY GET USED TO NOT SMOKING, AND RETURN TO A SENSE OF NORMALITY ONCE ALL THE BAD STUFF IS TOTALLY OUT OF MY SYSTEM?
                        I HAVE SEEN ON SOME PLACES THAT SHOW ANXIETY MAY HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY SMOKING, BUT MAY ALSO BE AGGRIVATED BY STOPPING AND ADJUSTING TO A SOBER LIFE.
                        If its not a withdrawel issue. Could this be a temporarty anxity condition and if I never smoke again , will I get better?

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, ABOUT HOW LONG IT TOOK TO FEEL BETTER ETC. THIS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Comment

Dear Liambish,
                          I didn't have panic attacks but I had severe anxiety for about 2 months..
                          I found laughter helped me, I watched comedies..others find that exercise is the answer... Both release endorphins.

Robin

Comment

month and a half clean and feel good but sill got urges

Hi I have smoked for at least 10years and I am am 29 . I have quit for a month and a half and feel good although still have the urge to go and have a smoke. I think its all about having a strong mind and having someone there to help if you do feel like having a smoke to tell you not to. Be strong is my advice and you will feel a sense of self reward !
                            If your mates still smoke then stop hanging around them for a while until you feel completley ready to turn down the cannabis. I am still struggling a little now with the temptation but staying focused. I dont think you need anti depressants or anthing just stay focused and ask for help if your feeling a bit down. If anyone out there needs help and is in a similar state as me then feel free to drop a message on here and we can send emails to each other and help one another. I think thats the best way to talk to like minded people that understand . Good luck everyone with giving up !!!!!
                            Originally posted by BFB View Post
                            Hi Unregistered1234 and welcome to the forum.

I think many of us have extremely similar experiences from quitting marijuana, although that said they can also be quite diverse too, but I think many of us feel like we could have wrote many of the posts here by others ourselves. As far as your treatment with the anti depressants go as you say they can take up to around the 6 weeks mark to kick in, although again I think we can all have different experiences as with any type of drug or medication, but yes it may be a little bit too early to tell as to whether you are going to find them effective in treating yourself, although I am sure your doctor will take this into consideration, they might say let’s give it a little bit longer I don’t know, I guess you will just have to see what they say.

Anyway as you now know many of the symptoms we experience as a result of quitting marijuana can be similar especially when it comes to things like anxiety, that particular symptom can be extremely common so try not to worry too much, you may find that given another couple of months you may feel better and may not feel the need to take them at all, yes unfortunately when it comes to the psychological symptoms people can experience when they quit pot it can take a fair amount of time to get back to normal, even the kind of length of time that you are experiencing, so here’s to hoping it won’t be too much longer before you get back to normal and perhaps hopefully won’t then need to treat it with medication at all, but like anything else in regards to this issue you just have to give it time and see how you do, but chin up and try to stay positive many people do find that once they have gone past the six months mark they are back to their old selves psychologically, just try to take it one day at a time and well done on the 4 months mark, that is a pretty big achievement in its self especially as you are not finding it easy, that takes some real will power, I think you are doing really well.

Take care, thanks for posting, all the best and please keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
                              Depression and Weed

Hey guys,

As a person trying to quit weed, I can relate to everything that ppl are saying with cessation of weed and depression. I myself struggle from bad depression as we speak. I cry over small things and I feel as im in an emotional downward spiral. Its like a de ja vu reminding me of the tough periods I had after I stopped drinking. I found happiness and contentment after my drinking problems. However, now I am in the same boat as I was before just this time switch out alcohol with weed.

Spanning a course of 2 years, ive researched online looking for answers to link substance withdrawal (Marijuana and alcohol) to depression. What I found was really quite simple. It was laid out to me in a video which I will link here.

( sorry i guess the rehab group wont let me as a newbie, but if you go to youtube and search 'depression after marijuana' it will be the first video.

No I am not the creator, just a person who happened to run into the video and believe in the core prinicpals it teaches. I will basically sum it up below.

Happiness is 3 things in life
                              1. Pleasure
                              2. Passion
                              3. Purpose

Pleasure is material things that makes us happy money, cars, food, etc, etc.
                              Passion is anything that gives you joy doing an activity. Video games, cleaning, sports, charity work, etc.
                              Purpose is self explanatory. Its ones role, where he/she fits in life, the reason for living, what makes you go on...

The creator goes on to say that weed falls under pleasure. Its a short term thing that gives us joy while taking part of it. Many of us have depression issues before one starts smoking and then it can develop further being an active smoker. What weed does is it gives many of us a false sense of security and joy. It masks the problems we have in life. When we stop smoking or drinking, dependance for weed is no longer an option so what are we left with? Depression. The one thing that masked issues in our life is gone, we try to look for other ways to return to happiness but to no avail. This is where Purpose comes in. Purpose is the best form of happiness. It lasts and doesnt have big ups or downs. Sure having a nice car will bring happiness, sure doing activities will bring happiness, but will it be long term? No. Purpose is the king of happiness. To me this means we must find something in life that will give us a reason to live. A spouse, religion, family.... We must go about ambitiously and seek what we need. We must also fill our time with things that give us those short term joys. Just as depression develops over time, joy may take time to develop. But in the mean time the best option is to be proactive, create a sense of fullfilment. Get up and set goals. Maybe go exercise and set a weight loss goal. Invite real friends and family over. Do an activity or sport that you enjoy maybe once a week. And most of all find your long term happiness- a purpose. If you dont have a purpose, go out and seek one. It may not come over night but as things start to fall into place, positive thinking will be easier.

Thanks and god bless you all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X