Announcement

Collapse

If you feel a post is inappropriate

Hi folks,

Just a quick note in regards to the moderation of the group. Sometimes if I am a bit short on time or if we get a lot of posts at once I may have to just skim the overall gist of the posts rather than reading them word for word before I approve them, also we all have a different perspective as to what is acceptable and thus there may sometimes be the odd post that gets through that you may feel is inappropriate. And while this doesn’t seem to happen very often if there is anything that anybody reads and feels is inappropriate then please feel free to either shoot me a PM or use the contact form to let me know and I will always be happy to take another look at it.

Please keep in mind however that a post does have to be quite bad or harmful to the group as a whole for us to delete it, I don’t like to be too heavy handed with that kind of moderation and try to reserve it for only when it is absolutely necessarily as generally I like people to be able to have their say and most things can be ironed out with dialogue and often we can all learn from it, that said if you feel something is inappropriate like I say please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to take another look.

All the best,

Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!
See more
See less

Marijuana – Its all about how you react to it - We can all react differently

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana – Its all about how you react to it - We can all react differently

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
    I know I say this a lot but I thought it’s a major point that deserves a thread in its own right. I have seen and heard a lot in regards to marijuana, I have used it heavily myself for many years and even grown it, as well as running this place for a good few years now since I quit and if I had to say one thing to sum up the situation with marijuana is that we can all react to it differently.

The thing with drugs all drugs in fact including the ones your doctor may prescribe is that they can all react with the individual chemistry and make up of our bodies differently, if you ever read the leaflet that most people ignore that you get with your medication you will find that there is a usually a long list of potential side effects that you can experience that unfortunately many people do, but that does not mean that everybody who takes them will and just as because you have experienced them doesn’t prove that everybody else will, likewise the fact that you have not does not prove that nobody else will and marijuana is no different to any other drug in that respect.

Don’t for one moment assume CannabisRehab.org is a balanced representation of peoples experience with cannabis it’s not, it’s not meant to be, just as alcoholics anonymous isn’t for alcohol and gamblers anonymous isn’t for gambling, just like with alcohol and gambling there are a good deal many people who can use cannabis without them necessarily becoming addicted or experiencing some of the negative effects that some people do. But and you only have to read the posts here to see there clearly are some who feel they are addicted and are reporting negative effects from using it, I myself did, not only did I get hooked on the stuff but it really did significant harm to my mental health, but as I always say I think a genetic predisposition for it to have this effect on me played a big part, I think it probably does with many who experience these kind of problems from using it, scientists are able to prove especially when it comes to addiction that whatever the vice your genetic predisposition can play a major part, if you want to read more on this read this other thread of mine:

http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...Predisposition

Anyway like I say the bottom line is that we are a support group for people who have found that their cannabis use has become a habit that they feel they are struggling to control or feel they are having a negative experience from it and just like with gamblers anonymous people who are trying to get control of what it is they are finding to be problematic don’t need people trying to argue with them and convincing them they ought to be doing it, just because they have not found it’s a problem for them they have no right to ignorantly assume it can’t be for anybody else either, like I say the individual chemistry of our bodies can play a massive part in it, that and the amount of the stuff you are smoking although if you have a genetic predisposition for addiction/addictive personality the one can often have a significant effect on the other. If you went to gamblers anonymous just to argue the benefits of gambling and convince others gambling can’t be a problem you would soon find your ass bounced out of there pretty fast, well I am afraid it’s the same deal here, the rehab group is set so that new posts require a moderators approval before they are even posted, so most posts that will hinder the progress of those who want to detox and unfortunately in some cases even abuse them simply don’t get approved, otherwise it just turns into an argument rehab group and that is not our purpose, our purpose is to support those who want to detox and we have the right to do that, just like gamblers anonymous does for people who find gambling a problem we too have the right to exist and operate in this way. The flip side of this unfortunately is that it is a fairly one sided collection of experiences, just as AA is in regards to alcohol and GA is in regards to gambling, that’s the nature of the stories and experiences you are likely to read in a support group for people who have found whatever it is involved to be problematic for them.

So I think it is only fair to make this post and I will make it a sticky so it’s at the top of every page of CannabisRehab.org in order to make the nature of the situation clear, this is a place where you will hear the negative side of marijuana that some people have experienced as well as arguments against using it and reasons to quit, like I say that’s the nature of how a habit/addiction support group works, it’s the kind of perspective and support that people who have found it’s become a problem for them need in order to maintain the motivation they need in order the quit, we are no different to any other support group in that respect. But it is indeed only the negative side of the argument, although as I also often say most pot smokers are more than aware of almost every argument you can think of in favour of the drug, I know I was one of those guys, it’s what I spent most of my time with my stoner mates talking about, I was better prepared than someone who knocks your door trying to convert you to their religion and considering the vast amount of extremely pro marijuana material available on the internet, if you want to read all the arguments in its favour just do a quick Google and you will find shed loads of it in seconds, but considering there is so much of this kind of material out there I think it’s only fair to present the other side of the argument, like I say most smokers are well aware of all the reason why they should do it so it never harms to hear both sides. But what I don’t want to do is what so many do who are arguing both for and against and make out that this is the way it is for almost everybody, because it may not necessarily be the case, we can all have a very different experience of the drug and just because it’s not a problem for some doesn’t mean it can’t be for others and vice versa, so as I always try to say if you are using it listen to your what your bodies telling you and keep a very mindful watch on how you are reacting to it. If you are finding it is not agreeing with you or you feel you are becoming dependent on it do indeed be careful as these are things that are only likely to get worse the more you use it. That’s the main thing I would say to anyone who uses it and I personally think it’s something that people have the right to use if they want to and that’s something that should always be their choice, at the end of the day it’s your decision, all I would hope is that people are aware of the potential pitfalls that can be experienced so they are able to spot them, people have the right to be warned of the potential negative side effects of any drug, those who are experiencing them also have the right to know they are not alone. But we are not saying this is going to happen to everyone. As to what the percentages are in regards to the likely hood of addiction and other potentially associated problems well that’s another matter, the people who are very pro will probably have you think it’s much less than it actually is the people who are very anti perhaps much more, it’s a bit like anything else in that respect, perhaps like with many things the truth lies somewhere in between, that’s how I tend to see it anyhow, but you only have to read a few of the stories here to realise to go around saying that no one can ever get addicted to the drug at all is dam right ignorant and irresponsible.

It’s kind of stating the obvious really but something I feel is only right to make sure people understand. So try not to get too freaked out by some of the withdrawal symptoms that many people here complain of, the last thing we would want to do is scare people out of quitting because of fear of what they may experience, remember not everybody has this kind of experience when they quit, that is something which is probably one of the biggest differences between those who are addicted and those who are not and probably something your genes play a big part in and while you will find posts here of people saying that they have not really found it that bad, bear in mind that those who have posted and said that they have are far more likely to post on a rehab group that offers support for exactly that kind of thing, nobody goes to alcoholics anonymous to say that they aren’t really addicted to alcohol and don’t find not doing it a problem, there isn’t really any point. So like I say we are not trying to say everybody will experience this, we are not even really speculating as to what the percentages are, all we are here for is for people who are having this kind of experience, as well as to make people aware it can happen to some.

So that’s basically it, geez that was a long one but I feel that I needed to say it. Anyway good luck to all those who want to quit, we are with you every step of the way and always will be and all the best to those who still choose to continue to smoke, just try to look after yourselves and just like with the use of any other drug keep an eye on how you are reacting to it, if you are finding it’s causing problems then you are the people we are here for.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

so, so true! I know my friends think the drug is like nothing. I hear all the time how it's "all natural" and people use it for medical reasons, but I keep telling them that it damages your lungs. My boyfriend breathes like an old man and wheezes all the time. I beg him to detox before he gets some kind of lung disease or arrested, but he just won't give it up. I'm glad I found CannabisRehab.org and all the information posted on here.

Comment

It's weird I'll smoke for months and months and then create a problem with my dealer and quit cold turkey for years. Out of sight out of mind (or I should say out of body because it's never out of mind). My friends and relatives don't smoke, it's always a solitary pursuit for me when I'm doing it. I'm still wondering if I need help because I know I never quit forever. I know the one day at a time spiel but if it's in front of me again I'll be off for months again-maybe even years.

Comment

My ex husband used to need a smoke every day no matter what and it never made him feel good yet I could take it or leave it but I always got a great "high" with laughter and relaxation. Strange isn't it?

Comment

This is a great post, very insightful. Everybody reacts differently and what one person deals with perfectly fine could be a problem for somebody else. Each of us is different.

Comment

People don't realize that pot isn't always all-natural. Some people use growth products which may or may not be FDA approved and still others spray it with stuff to make it (appear) more potent.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              People don't realize that pot isn't always all-natural. Some people use growth products which may or may not be FDA approved and still others spray it with stuff to make it (appear) more potent.
              That is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. You never know what you are actually putting in your body when you smoke pot.

In addition I have had friends tell me that pot is harmless because it just makes them feel light and giggly. It just does not have that same effect on me.

Comment

Many things react differently but many people are absent minded when it comes to thinking that everyone "gets the same high" from it and I think that can lead to the larger problems before they even start. My sister reacts different than I do, I just get sleepy. For her it ends up making her paranoid to the point of wanting to hide in a corner and rock back and forth.

Comment

Confession

I smoke in secret. But I needed to confess. It feels like a huge secret inside of me that is contained in the smoke. What do I do to insistently have to hide this from everyone I know? Why do I go away for weeks while I'm high? And when I'm not, i'm still fighting depression. What's going on? But since using marijuana my head has started to hurt, more than your average headache. Upset stomach, irritability, when I smoke it's like i'm leaving the world and I just don't care, but trying to come out of that delusional state is the hard part. Smoking pot is a psychological addiction, I psyched myself up to try it again after 2 months of being off, and I went off for 3 1/2 weeks. What made me stop? Getting sick. And tired. I promised myself I wouldn't smoke nearly as much as I did before, but as soon as I started I couldn't stop. I abused it, again and again, proved to myself it was BS, and got sick. Now I want to stop again, but whats finally going to end this cycle? I realized that off of it I was doing well, meditating a lot, but still with a lot of self doubt and lack of esteem. What brings this esteem???

Comment

When depression is even a thought that crosses you mind its time to step back and think about what you are doing. No amount of smoke, or drugs, or alcohol is going to change that. You can not fix a problem by covering it up.

Comment

Cannabis Rehab Admin . First of all, excellent rehab group in general, but more importantly I really appreciate this post. I no longer smoke marijuana myself because I am just a drug addict in general and I cannot safely use drugs in any form. Just because I personally can't smoke marijuana (maybe I would if I could?), it doesn't mean that I judge other peoples' use of the drug or make assumptions on the effects that is has on them.

I give you kudos for making this an important "sticky" on your forum. I own a recovery resources website and I often run into issues relevant to this topic. It is important for people to know that we (maybe I should just say "I") are not medical doctors and do not provide the "end all" solution to these topics. We simply provide resources and discussion platforms for people to do with as they choose. I guess I just wanted to post because I enjoy your rehab group and the broad range of topics covered.... and I really respect your cause. Thanks for everything!

Corey

Comment

Thank you for the kind words they mean a lot, yes it such a shame with the drugs issue so many people lose all sense of a balanced perspective and that goes for both the for and against, obviously it probably comes across to many that I am strongly on the against side but in all honesty I don’t really believe in taking any polarized position, if people don’t seem to be finding it to be a problem then cool I am not interested in trying to tell people how to run their own lives, I am just trying to help people who they themselves feel it has become a problem, and having been there myself I know how it feels, but at the end of the day it’s all about personal responsibility, if we as individuals find it to be a problem then we shouldn’t do it, but of course we may need a little help along the way and obviously that’s where we come in.

Anyway thanks again for the kind words, all the best,
                        Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

Can I just add I couldn’t off done it without the help of my moderators especially Robin and abiogenesis, as well as everybody else who has continued to post, this place is bigger than any one person it has truly been a team effort. Thanks folks!!!
                          Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

I am a Pot Fiend

glad I found this forum. I have been buying small amounts of pot over the last several years, and I can tell you, I am a Pot Fiend! I needed to tell someone, so I am telling you.

Before all this, I would occasionally smoke when a friend offered it at a party etc. Casual tokes was ok, then I bought some. Once I had it in my home, I could not stop smoking it. Up in the AM, take a hit, go to work, lunchtime hit, back to work, another hit on my way home, then into the evening.

I recently quit for 3 weeks during a trip, and liked what was happening in my own behaviors, and said "I'm done". Came home - BOOM, fiend emerges again (I think I smoked as soon as my bags hit the floor). I want to quit. Plus...6 months ago i started on Prozac. So now I wonder if I have scrambled eggs for brains.

Since I stopped (ie ran out) 2 days ago, I feel a constant cold sweat (very subtle) and very alert to everything. Not sick, not extreme stuff, but I can tell my body misses it.

I don't have the guts to tell my Dr, but do want to get treated for addiction. shame shame shame...

Every time I try to find a phsycologist, they are not taking patients - Ugh, so i quit making the calls.

What in the heck will i do if they legalize it! I quit drinking, so I suppose I need to think of myself as a substance abuser - alcohol, pot, perscription meds, cigarettes, sex, money, gambling. I hate to admit it, but it is true. I failed the pot addiction test on all questions .

Comment

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
                              Time to let go?

In the end the title will say it all. I'm gonna start by saying I haven't read this entire thread simply because I don't have any interest in problems that are not related to me. I apologize in advance if there has already been a post similar to this one.
                              How do I explain a problem that really isn't a problem? I've been smoking pot for the past 10 years now. I've have quit off and on many times since. Sometimes I go periods of 6-8 months in between smoking. But I always start up again. I don't mean to say this is a bad thing. I'll say it right now to make things perfectly clear. I enjoy getting high! I enjoy smoking pot! But the experience has changed over the past year or so, maybe back further. What I mean by that is...I only enjoy it if I get high by myself (loser alert). But seriously, it has changed from a social enjoyment to a personal thing. I used to get high with friends or get high then go do something, that sort of thing. I don't enjoy getting high with others anymore and I absolutely cannot stand being high and trying to do something worthwhile. To put it in to some perspective, reading books about theoretical physics and cosmology are my favorite things to do while I'm high. I just feel like a total burn out even if I just read. Everyday I tell myself I'm going to quit, I should quit. But the next day it's the same thing over. Come midnight when the day is done I smoke a bowl and just spend time with myself.
                              So the problem really is this...I want to quit but I just can't seem to do so. Those periods I go without smoking are a blessing. I wish I could just be done once and for all. I simply can't do it. Eventually, I will start again. Sorry it's very difficult to explain my situation without telling my entire life story. I didn't want to burn anyone out (lol) with pages full of text. Just looking for words of wisdom...anyone?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X