Announcement

Collapse

If you feel a post is inappropriate

Hi folks,

Just a quick note in regards to the moderation of the group. Sometimes if I am a bit short on time or if we get a lot of posts at once I may have to just skim the overall gist of the posts rather than reading them word for word before I approve them, also we all have a different perspective as to what is acceptable and thus there may sometimes be the odd post that gets through that you may feel is inappropriate. And while this doesn’t seem to happen very often if there is anything that anybody reads and feels is inappropriate then please feel free to either shoot me a PM or use the contact form to let me know and I will always be happy to take another look at it.

Please keep in mind however that a post does have to be quite bad or harmful to the group as a whole for us to delete it, I don’t like to be too heavy handed with that kind of moderation and try to reserve it for only when it is absolutely necessarily as generally I like people to be able to have their say and most things can be ironed out with dialogue and often we can all learn from it, that said if you feel something is inappropriate like I say please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to take another look.

All the best,

Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!
See more
See less

The are worse drugs than marijuana argument

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The are worse drugs than marijuana argument

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
    I think a lot of people when it comes to their view of marijuana do view it in a very general and relative way, relative to other harder drugs like heroin and meth it is generally a lot less worse, but let’s face it that’s not really saying much, most things aren’t that bad when you compare them to some of the worst substances known to man, that doesn’t necessarily make them safe or a good thing, and even if they don’t affect you as bad in a certain particular way as another drug it doesn’t mean that is does not affect you in that sense at all, or at least to a certain extent, there are many similarities when it comes to the traits of drug use that apply to all drugs. And when it comes to people saying which drug is “worse” I always say worse for what, when it comes to issues like mental health marijuana may well be worse than a lot of other drugs people could have taken, cigarettes for example may well kill more than any other drug, but a drug like marijuana can still be far worse in terms of mental health, my marijuana use may have done more damage to my mental health than had I been using alcohol for example, marijuana may not kill you but it can still ruin some people’s lives in other ways, my mental health has never recovered back to how it was before I started using, so I think when you say which is worse the only valid answer is the other question of worse for what? When it comes to drugs there are no free rides, they can all have their price.

All the best
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 15 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

I think the argument about what drugs are bad or worse is really pointless. It's not about the substance, it's your attitude toward it. Is it marijuana's fault that I became dependent on it? Not really. I was using pot to hide from fears, insecurities, anger, and hurt. Now that I'm off pot it requires self-discipline not to depend on other substances such as cigs and alcohol. It's really the habit of using a substance to hide/suppress that's the problem, at least in my case. I think it's the relative lack of stigma that entraps us, because we figure it's natural and non-addictive (at least, not compared to cocaine or something) and therefore ok to be dependent on.

Comment

Hi springtime

I totally agree I think one of the main things to do is look at the way you are using it and the affect it is having on you, which is worse is indeed a pointless argument and not really relevant to the situation you are in as an individual, but one I am sure it’s one many of us have used, I know I did at times, let’s face it there is almost always something worse than everything, but that still don’t make a bad thing good, two wrongs don’t make a right and all the rest of it. I think you have made such a good point about it been acceptable to many to behave this way with marijuana but not with a drug like coke or something, maybe because we think it’s natural or something although there is a saying in chemistry, a chemical is a chemical and most the marijuana been smoked these days if far from what marijuana once naturally was, not that something been natural automatically makes it safe anyway, but without digressing into that the bottom line is when you look at how some people are using it, there isn’t always that much difference between the way they are using marijuana and the way many other drugs are used, it’s interesting the American psychological associations test for addiction is the same no matter what the substance, all it is looking for is the behaviour of addiction, definitely something worth thinking about. For anybody who dares to take the test here is the link http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...d-to-marijuana

Take care folks and all the best
      Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

Amen to that brother! I am glad some one brought up these arguments because I here them a lot. My ex used to talk about alcoholics or general drinkers in particular and how they are worse then pot heads. They at worse, and they spend more money, and alcohol is twice has bad as the drug and that pot smokers are better then alcoholics because they make better choices and that the drug is the better drug. The whole thing is bogus! Every drug for you, in some sort of way is bad. One isn't worse then the other, just different kinds of bad. Cigs can destroy your lungs while the drug can destroy your mind. Alcohol an destroy your pocket book while heroin can destroy your arms! Acid can destroy your natural energy levels, and tires you out while coke can just mess the crap out of you! One isn't better then the other. It called a drug for a reason! thanks for bringing that up guys!

Comment

One key comparison wih marijuana

It is fair to compare marijuana to something like alcohol, which is legal and accepted and for almost every negative effect associated with pot, has a similar and much more debilitating effect.

Comment

I agree with you but it's also fair to compare marijuana to something like cocaine, which is illegal and unaccepted for it's many negative affect on people's lives. I mean it doesn't make much difference if it's either marijuana, alcohol or cocaine which is messing up with one's mental health and life. Forexample, I have had quite some many experiences with several strong psychedelic drugs like LSD/magic mushroom/peyote but none of these had negative affects on my life. It has been the pot which is a much handy and soft drug than these which messed up with my life.

Comment

I knew a kid in highschool that at age 15 took so much acid over the course of a month or two that he was basically crazy after that. I saw him again when he was in his early twenties and he was one of the strangest dudes I've ever met, socially retaded to say the least. William S. Burroughs was a known heroin addict for much of his life and he wrote some of the most amazing books I've ever read and was a very beloved figure, one of the original beat writers. Heroin actually slows down one's metabolism and Burroughs maintained that he had found the recipe for immortality. He died of a heart attack when he was 83 years old! I'm not damning psychadelics, but LSD can have some permanent effects from what I understand, and I'm not saying go out and use heroin. Hunter S. Thompson used make some of the boldest tongue in cheek pro-drug statements ever and he killed himself at age 67. His note entitled, "Football Season Is Over", it read:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."

All kinds of stuff works for all kinds of nutty people...and a lot of nutty stuff doesn't work for all kinds of people. the drug belongs in the millieu of drugs and medicine. It is a blessing for a lot of people that need it as an actual medicine and it is a recreational drug that enjoys a lot of popularity and rightly so. It is also abused by a lot of people, and has an incredibly high potential for addiction for many people in my opinion. This potential is a function of how fast the effects can be felt and how subjectively pleasurable they are. Most smoked sunstances come on fast, (you're high when you blow that first hit out) and for me the drug is very pleasurable. The word "worse" might have a bottom line in the context of this discussion and that would be the idea of a therapeutic index of a drug, which is how much of a drug you need to attain the desired effect compared to how much you need to kill yourself. This is a pro-pot advocate's favorite fun fact, namely nobody dies from the acute effects of MJ. here's my new favorite fun fact, it's from, addictions and recovery.org,

"Marijuana is one of the most difficult drugs to give up. Not because it's more addictive than other drugs, but because addicts are more reluctant to let it go. They see it as their final vice."

I identified with that statement the second I read it. Better or worse as drugs go, that statement had the ominous tone of describing a drug that is a sleeper favorite in how endearing it is to its users and how deeply embedded it has become in our music and comedy culture. I don't see nearly as many funny movies about heroin, coke and cigarette use. Starts to seem kind of goofy and harmless when Harold and Kumar are smoking Pineapple Express on a barge with Cheech and Chong in Amsterdam while listening to Bob Marley sing about getting high, (all movies and music I love, by the way).

Comment

It's definitely true that LSD is one of the most dangerous drugs for one's mental health. And that's why I gave it an example since for me, that kind of dangerous and strong stuff didn't do much harm but it was the prolonged the drug use that messed up with me. And now after my the drug addiction, there is no way for me to use that kind of stuff, for which sometimes I feel sad actually. I mean, as most of us here envy the kind of people who can use the drug occasionally without getting addicted to it, I personally would like to experience occasionally the kind of affects that strong psychedelics give. However, I know that any kind of psychedelic experience would relapse my the drug addiction and more importantly my brain became so vulnerable to drugs that any kind of that strong experience would put me in a chronic psychosis. Actually at the moment I feel that, during I write these sentences, I just want to go on and on writing and thinking about these psychedelic stuff until the point that I would start to get obsessed and I know that this is directly related to my addiction which is trying to push itself to the surface. I really believe that being an addict is kind of the weirdest experiences in the world, it's like being operated with a multiple processor. Last week I drinked too much alcohol and became very drunk, and for the next coming few days, every second I was trying to reassure myself about all those facts about the drug addiction that I am telling to people here. I guess this is more related to my history of my addiction and drugs, it was just more than a relief for me, for 2 years I thought that the psychedelics was the nirvana that the other people were looking for, even back in Turkey I was ordering magic mushrooms from the Netherlands through internet, I did read every bit of information on psychedelics and their affects on consciousness, and now I have paid the price by reading every bit of information on addiction. Anyway, these are some unnecessary lines from me in a melancholic mood

All the best,

Comment

Yeah LSD can be absolute poison when it comes to mental health, so can many drugs that have that trippy psychedelic effect, I think that’s one of the problems with modern day weed, the dramatic increase in THC has just made it too trippy, so people may be able to handle this better than others, but some find these sort of drugs can produce a pretty bad trip, especially when you do them day after day like in the case of marijuana and this trippy unreality becomes your new everyday reality, you really can get lost in a world of bizarre weirdness which can often turn bad.

All the best,
                  Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

That's an excellent post OP. I am currently in my 3rd year going for my MPH, and I will tell you right now - when marijuana use goes from the usual couple times a month usage, to couple times a day usage, this is when problems arise. Many people do say that marijuana is not as bad for you as the legal drugs, ie tobacco and alcohol. I will tell you, they are correct. Marijuana is not as bad for oneself as alcohol, and actually, most modern listings by the drug's detrimental effects to the body place alcohol ABOVE cocaine. Tobacco also is not considered as bad as marijuana, because marijuana itself has not been conclusively linked to lung cancer, and due to nicotine, tobacco usage becomes a lot more common, even in heavy marijuana smokers.

That said, once again, just because it is not as detrimental as the others, when marijuana use becomes daily, you don't necessarily develop a physical addiction (ie, your body actually CRAVES IT, like nicotine or heroin) but you develop a psychological one. You think you need it. You think you cannot get through the day without it. You end smoking it all the time, which eventually, if you started young, by the time you're a full grown adult, you will have some mental issues if you have a genetic history of schizophrenia, and if not, you will still feel some issues.

All in all, the majority of pot smokers smoke only a few times a month. Only 1-3 percent of those who smoke end up doing it daily, but when it's done daily, seek help, do what you can to kick the habit. this cannabis rehab site has some great resources for doing just that.

Comment

Hi and welcome,

Yeah a lot of it is just using an example of something that’s worse as an excuse for doing another, you could do that with a lot of things, but like I say it still don’t make the other a good thing, the only thing I may differ with you on is the idea that marijuana has no physical addictive potential what so ever even if it is relatively mild in comparison to much harder drugs, if you read some of the experiences people have here then you will see that quitting can have a very physical affect on their body indeed, including the neurology of the brain which is responsible for symptoms like anxiety and depression, which isn’t the case when you give up a psychological addiction like shopping, that’s not to say there isn’t a psychologically addictive element to it too, some drugs can be both physically and psychologically addictive but to varying extents obviously, also I have heard that the rate of marijuana use becoming a regular habit is around 10 percent of those who use it, but I guess like anything else when it comes to statistics you could argue forever depending on where you get your data and interpret it and what not, it’s almost worse than religion.

All the best,
                      Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Cannabis Rehab Admin View Post
                        Hi and welcome,

Yeah a lot of it is just using an example of something that’s worse as an excuse for doing another, you could do that with a lot of things, but like I say it still don’t make the other a good thing, the only thing I may differ with you on is the idea that marijuana has no physical addictive potential what so ever even if it is relatively mild in comparison to much harder drugs, if you read some of the experiences people have here then you will see that quitting can have a very physical affect on their body indeed, including the neurology of the brain which is responsible for symptoms like anxiety and depression, which isn’t the case when you give up a psychological addiction like shopping, that’s not to say there isn’t a psychologically addictive element to it too, some drugs can be both physically and psychologically addictive but to varying extents obviously, also I have heard that the rate of marijuana use becoming a regular habit is around 10 percent of those who use it, but I guess like anything else when it comes to statistics you could argue forever depending on where you get your data and interpret it and what not, it’s almost worse than religion.

All the best,
                        That 10 percent thing is probably very dated. I can't imagine that being true. As for physical addiction, it's generally agreed upon by experts that is not physically addictive, ie causes actual NECESSITY by the body to have the drug. A lot of information about Marijuana is very dated. In the 60s and 70s our Government tested it on Rhesus monkeys, by practically locking them in rooms full of smoke for weeks on end, and tests like that is where a lot of this is from.

Comment

marijuana withdrawal symptoms relief
                          Yes I agree a lot of the information on marijuana is very outdated, but not all, I have never studied the test done by locking moneys in a smoky room specifically, so I can’t really comment on that, perhaps that particular study may have been floored, it doesn’t sound a great way to go about studying it to me, but a lot of research particularly in regards to it’s addictive potential in the past in whatever part of the world has been with strains which are weaker than the ones been smoked today, especially in regards to THC, if anything the type of marijuana that is often smoked these days is more addictive due to the fact that it’s much stronger.

According to an Australian study done in 2006 marijuana has a nine percent addiction rate:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/n...t-health-risks

That was done with people not monkeys and is relatively recent, obviously running this place I have probably read more than most on this subject and have read many times it’s a rate of around 10 percent, in many parts of the world it has now become the second or third highest addiction for admission to rehab. There are plenty of modern studies, more and more of them coming out all the time that support figures like this. Highly selective examples of research against marijuana been based on monkeys in the 60’s and public health videos like reefer madness from 26,000 BC (joke) actually I think it was made in 1936 are used these days as pro marijuana propaganda to try and discredit other valid and credible research a lot of which is relatively up to date and perfectly valid.

A psychological addiction is something like compulsive spending disorder or even gambling, have a read of some of the experiences reported in CannabisRehab.org and the very physical affect that quitting can have on the body for those who have become addicted to it, things like:

Sweats
                          Sickness and upset stomach
                          Loss of appetitive
                          Headaches and various other aches and pains
                          Insomnia
                          Paranoia
                          Acute anxiety
                          Panic attacks
                          Depression
                          Anhedonia (loss of pleasure)
                          Fatigue
                          Nightmares
                          Restlessness
                          Intense irritability
                          Acute tension
                          Strong cravings

And tell me these are the kind of symptoms you can experience from not going to the shops or something else comparable to a psychological addiction, I personally really don’t think they are. For more info on this you may wish to read this thread:

http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...ally-addictive

Maybe it’s the research done by the “experts” that says it isn’t physically addictive that is out dated.

Sorry to disagree, I don’t mean to shoot you down, perhaps we just have a different perspective of this particular issue.

All the best,
                          Cannabis Rehab Admin

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X