+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Marijuana legal

Default Making Marijuana legal

For a long time i've been all for the legalization of marijuana. After quitting ive changed my view, but honestly i still cant decide.

I dont think it would be a good idea if it was legal, but at the same time i am a big advocate of public freedom and the freedom of choice. What is everyone else's views on this topic?

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

I'm in favor of legality for economic (tax income and drug war savings) reasons as well as humanitarian (jail/legitimate medical use). Legalization should improve quality/safety and some of the money could go into drug treatment programs. Researchers would have more ability to study the plant, and that could lead to beneficial medicines that do not have an intoxicating/addicting component.

In the Netherlands, where it has been mostly legal for a while, there is a lower rate of usage than here in the US. I've also heard that alcohol (which is legal) is harder for kids in the USA to get than weed.

And to top it off, I've got to say, none of my friends who smoke have ever had a problem with it like I do. Likewise, I've never had an alcohol problem, but millions do. Some people can moderate their use, some can't.

You can read my view of it on this thread http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1361 and this thread http://www.forummatters.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1643 In a nutshell I am not entirely sure either way, I think there are proís and conís of either argument, but I donít really see the point in locking the users up, at least from the users perspective I think it should probably be seen as a public health issue rather than a criminal one, but that doesnít mean I think that legalisation is necessarily the best option either, perhaps it should just be decriminalised, at least for the users. Personally I have a sneaking suspicion that it might not make as much of a difference as some people may think, I am not sure it would necessarily be a magic solution either way, I think the vast majority of users would probably still use it whether it was legal or not, the drug been illegal doesnít stop people from using it, alcohol been legal doesnít stop people from using that, there may be some difference but like I say I am not entirely convinced it would necessarily be that big, although if anything if it was both available illegally through your stoner network which would probably still go on, I sure people would still grow it illegally and sell it in order to make a profit, the price of the legal stuff would have to be a fair bit lower in order for there no longer to be an incentive not to do that and I am not sure that by the time the legal providers had grown it, distributed it and all the middle men along the way had taken their cut and all the taxes that were owed paid (I am sure they would tax it extremely heavily), I am not sure by the time that all that had happened that it would be that much cheaper, than a highly organised criminal gang can put it on the street for without having to pay any tax, if it was still available both illegally and legally on virtually every street corner in a similar way to alcohol and tobacco, if anything I think it would probably increase its use rather than decrease it and in terms of making it illegal makes it more attractive, I can only speak for myself but I smoked it because it got me high not so I could break the law, there were all kind of other things I could have done just to break the law, which I didnít do just so I could break the law, most certainly would have been a heck of a lot cheaper. LOL I think I have probably just repeated most of what I said in the other posts in which I have shared my view, as I have already said I not entirely sure either way and I have probably only mentioned the above points in order to consider the other point of view in regards to the issues that have been raised, but I can see the other point of view as well, like I say I can see both sides of the argument.
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

walkers350 Cannabis Rehab Guest

i think it may be to late now for some of us, but for the next generation (are children) it would be better off being legalised, it completely takes the fun out of it, in amsterdam u dont see many dutch people smoking up, its always tourists, u even get some people that move there for the fact that they can get cannabis without fear of arrest, the dutch simply turn a blind eye to cannabis, its not legal there, there are regular coffeeshop inspections. i remember when i first went to amsterdam years ago, bought the strongest strain thinking i can handle it, it ruined the whole trip, it fecked me hed up so much, if it were legal, then there could be rules on the strength and potency of cannabis. and yeah in america ive also heard that its easier to get bud than alcohole, the mexican mafia make more more of cannabis than any other drug they sell, and that includes, crystal meth, heroin, cocaine and so on. its pretty self deluding for the police to think there actually winning the war on cannabis. so much of it is being grown there not focusing on heroin dealers, and so on. and that needs the most attention. the drug is evil its messes ure life up completely, but in all honesty ive never had a problem with alcohole and u can walk into a shop and buy a can of strong lager thats 4.5 units (that would get me quite drunk after 2 cans) for les than £1.50. in my opinion, the next generation needs it legalised, and all other drugs decriminilised, it does not help sending somone to prison for drugs where they can still buy drugs for a much higher price, addicts need stability in there lifes to work out what they need to do, not be put in a cell, raped, beaten up, pressured into joining gangs, and the phycological damage that sitting in a cell nearlly all day does to u, it actually make me sick thinking about how most of the world treats addiicts, its a public health issue, not a crime.

Itís hard to compare Holland and Amsterdam to every other country in the world as very often they are very different cultures, I have heard that the idea that much of the rest of the world has about the Dutch been completely liberal about everything is quite ironic, as most Dutch are actually fairly conservative clean living and often quite religious people, who arenít necessarily not all smoking cannabis because it isnít illegal, but because culturally itís not really in that many of their nature to take any drugs. Itís kind of assuming that the one is automatically responsible for the other, which may not necessarily be the case, itís kind of strange that they have decided to be so liberal when it comes to drugs as apparently generally they are not that liberal a group of people, although generalisations are just that and donít account for everybody, perhaps one of the motives was even financial I bet the stoners euro is worth millions to them every year, perhaps they think let the tourists feck themselves up if thatís what they want, itís know skin off our noses the good little Dutch boys and girls know better, we wonít smoke it just sell it, although I have also heard that many of them deeply regret what they did with Amsterdam and are desperately trying to change it back, those of us who has been to Amsterdam will know that it has become a bit of a circus and has attracted shit loads of harder drug pushers, I couldnít walk 12 feet without someone trying to sell me E, coke or smack, it was pretty seedy, but as a stoner an extremely seductive place at the same time.

I think itís a very good point about legalising it perhaps been a good way to control strength and potency, there could then at least be limits on the stuff that can make an extra good job of twisting your head, although again I think that stuff would still probably be available on the illegal market and consumed by many, some people just like the really crazy shit these days, I know I did, until it fecked up my head so bad that it sent me to the funny farm. Again sorry to play devilís advocate, I think these are all points worth considering both the for and the against, itís an definitely an interesting subject.

Take care
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

For legalization: (Ive started point forming some of my posts so they are easier to read).
    - Tax revenue would help in many ways (thats assuming the gov't actually spends the money wisely, but thats another topic).
    - It may loose its appeal to some and not be used as much. When i was under 19 (im in canada so drinking age is 19), We would try all the time to get alcohol and get drunk. It was a rare commodity in our eyes and so we sought it. Im 23 now and it really doesn't have any appeal. I am a bartender alot of the time so i do enjoy mixing a good cocktail, but its not the same as when i was underage and it was "sneaky" and "bad" to drink it. I feel marijuana may loose some of its appeal if its legalized.
    - Some people may still deal and grow, but honestly i know TONS of people who smoke who would rather pay the tax and get it from the store than risk their livelyhood getting it from a dealer. I think they should make the punishment for growing and dealing more HARSH, but legalize it to be sold in stores. This creates the same situation as alcohol.

Default RE: 'Pass the bong'

Just got an email from an entrepreneur in the USA, strangely enough talking about how cannabis (and bitcoin) are the two biggest growing industries in the US at the moment. It seems that more and more states are planning or starting to legalise cannabis, as they are motivated by the tax revenue that is generated and people are becoming more and more tolerant of legalisation for recreational use, on top of medicinal use.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Governmentís FREE SAMHSAís National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

It is a funny situation from where I sit (away from the action in Australia). Tax revenue IS GOOD, depending on the integrity of the government in question. I don't personally feel that it being illegal makes it more tempting to everyone. Although maybe this IS an issue, when I think back on how enticing it seemed in my earlier years to try something that would alter my mental world.
    I guess from where I sit right now, I would say a few things:

1. I would never have known how much I could fly in my life had I not had 2.75 years without cannabis in my system. For me personally, I would never have taken that first step, and would never have been so determined to make my quit permanent if cannabis was legal. That was the straw that broke the cannabis camel's back - I hated the seedy, grubby, underbelly that I had to engage with to procure my fix. Had it been legal I would have grown it myself or gone to a shop and happily bought good quality weed and I believe that I would never have known just how good life can be.

2. The Australian Government has done such a FINE job of reducing the amount of cigarette smokers dramatically. They pulled out all the stops to discourage people from smoking cigarettes, even though it is still legal - so many less people do it. This says two things - first, it IS possible to quit a substance (with support) in an environment where that substance is freely available (for a price), and secondly, if they spent so much energy discouraging cigarettes, what is the good of allowing cannabis into the mix? Most people are going to smoke this too. It is likely just as bad for the lungs, heart and bodies of the smokers than cigarettes. So, all that good work, may need to be repeated after this honeymoon period lapses.

It does remind me a bit of the 50s, when people thought that cigarettes were healthy or at least not healthy and smoked them everywhere: planes, hospitals, schools, probably!

3. Although legalisation does not address the problem of supply and the health risks, I think the point was made above that people are going to get it anyway, so really what is the POINT of it being illegal?! Legalisation will deconstruct the seedy, criminal drug culture, and that could have huge flow on effects for communities in terms of crime generally.

4. Legal or illegal, there are always going to be a percentage of people who do not react well to cannabis. I am one of these people, and although I guess that if they do legalise it in Australia, I will do a little soul searching, I think I will always remember the chaos that ensued in my life after I started cannabis again after an 8 month break - how messy, how damaging, how debilitating it was for me. I really need to remember that REALITY of cannabis use.

At the end of the day we each make our own choices, legal or illegal.

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising