+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marijuana Withdrawal Insomnia Sucks...

Hi Notsomellowmel,
    Great thread on insomnia and like to say to deal with insomnia exercise regularly and early morning and not within 3 hours to bedtime. It will help you sooth stress and deal with insomnia. Avoid stimulants like caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before bedtime and if hungry take light snacks. Create sleep schedule and get up at the same time each day even if tired.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

You know, my insomnia seems to be related to my own house. I can sleep elsewhere just fine, but when I get home I'm back to awake at 2-3am and short of breath. My DR. recommended getting a new bed in a different room to see if that helped.

I tend to just run with the insomnia for a few days then it goes. Stock up on some books and let it be. However, this time I need to sleep so this thread is quite timely for me, even it was started 3 years ago. Thanks to whoever necro'd it.

I am going to try MB73's routine of warm bath, warm milk and fresh air stretching. I like that, I have some confidence in that approach, thanks Mark if you ever read this.

Also, thankyou Insanity for the heads up re: depersonalization. I doubt it will happen but I am sure I will be thankful for the heads up if it does. I actually want it to, quite a lot, this one reason I have drug problems - I am obsessed with conciousness and altered conciousness. I am also semi-hoping to morph into Tyler Durden but I digress.

Anyway, I have a theory. After noticing that my insomnia (and a lot of other withdrawals) are a lot worse this time and I am definately linking that to outside stressors not related to the quit. I think its mainly about stress.

- A lot of the withdrawal symptoms are the same symptoms as stress
    - Quitting itself creates a lot of stress
    - Withdrawal/stress symptoms have the potential themselves to cause stress

I think insomnia is (in my case) caused by not sleeping due to stress then stressing about not sleeping. This is why I never really had much more than a day or two insomnia in the past. I just accepted it, it didn't matter I wasn't sleeping, it actually allowed me to reconnect with an old friend (reading). Also I get really tired during the day and feel like I could sleep but then when I try I feel awake again because I started to stress over whether I am actually falling asleep or not.

So when you start stressing over symptoms caused by stress you have yourself a positive feed back loop. Positive feedback loops have a tendency to accelerate until destruction of the system unless some form of circuit breaker can create a phase shift in the operation of the system. Sound familiar?

I believe the stressing about stress dynamic is able to explain the large range in duration of withdrawal symptoms between people on here (and in general). It depends on the person's outside stressors and their ability to relieve stress without cannabis.

I am probably low to middle in terms of my ability to relieve stress without cannabis but I am usually able to live a relatively stress free life (which is one reason I think I get bored without cannabis because I like the drama it creates). Which is why I tend to have short lived symptoms but this time not so much.
    Last edited by ineedhelp; 11-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.

I've been weed-free since August 10th, but still suffer from insomnia on a daily basis. I have no trouble falling asleep, but I routinely wake up ~12-2am and have issues returning to sleep. I've been put on sleeping pills as well as anti-depressants and xanax for stress. I assume it's just something I will have to deal with for the next year as I still adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by anonytexan View Post
    I've been weed-free since August 10th, but still suffer from insomnia on a daily basis. I have no trouble falling asleep, but I routinely wake up ~12-2am and have issues returning to sleep. I've been put on sleeping pills as well as anti-depressants and xanax for stress. I assume it's just something I will have to deal with for the next year as I still adjust.
    I would suggest talking to your doctor about trying Trazodone. It's originally an andtidepressant but it's widely used as a non-addictive sleeping pill since it puts people to sleep. Also, maybe you can ask to switch from Xanax to Ativan since it lasts longer with more sedative effects. (however you need to be careful with Xanax or Ativan because they're more addictive than weed with more serious withdrawal problems).

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Day 4 since i quit day 3 no sleep insomnia

I quit smokong weed, i havent slept in 3 days almost and it feels horrible ive tried everythimg excersise clean room reading drinking tea, leaving my room if i cant sleep, ect, nothing seems to work can anyome help me please

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default What I've done to sleep

What I've done for sleep ... I'm taking L -Tryptophan, 5 htp (a precursor to serotonin), and melatonin before bed, I also am taking a prescription for itching, which causes drowsiness (I think it's better for you than a sleep aid) called Atarax, it's a small dose and helps quit a bit. I've also bought a book called " I can make you sleep" by Paul McKenna, it includes a CD that had helped me ALOT.

I also do 30 of cardio every day now, a double benefit.

After getting the prescription and reading the book I've slept every night at least 6 or 7 hours.

I was to the point of not sleeping well even when smoking, I had to make a change, I had wanted to quit for some time, my motivation was in the gutter for years, my memory sucked, and many other negative aspects had cropped up.

I'm surprised I have zero desire to smoke, even with an O in the pantry, I've had no withdrawal symptoms other than not sleeping before taking what I do now, and the night sweats.

Best of luck, your life will improve drastically off the weed, keep at it!

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising