+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm a marijuana quitter!

Default I'm a marijuana quitter!

Hey everyone,
    I had been smoking all day everyday for about 2 years. I loved marijuana, it was my best friend. I appreciate all it did for me. It helped me separate from popular culture and think for myself. That is really the only positive thing it did, but this has been a major blessing in my life believe it or not.
    I was unable to quit weed. I am 20, and I told my hard ass Christian parents that I couldn't stop. They were disappointed as hell, because I had been lying to them for a long time (about how I was doing in school, etc.) Admitting to other people I needed help was the key for me. It has been 5 weeks, and I am doing SO well. I no longer feel alienated from my family, and friends (who aren't chronics.) I am thinking much clearly. For me the first three days were ridiculous, and that's why I needed help. The anxiety and depression were overwhelming. I woke up in the mornings throwing up, or close to it. I couldn't control the depression or the anxiety, and I'm positive that smoking so much affected my brain unbelievably.
    However... after a few days (like the 5th) it got MUCH better. Yes there was still anxiety and depression, but I would say for about 1/10th of the day and it was overcome by keeping my brain occupied with reading or writing. It has been 5 weeks now and every single day is a little better. I'd say 1/15th. I've read a LOT on this over the past few weeks, and the acute effects pass within a week or two. There are long term effects however. I feel a certain uneasiness, and MILD depression and anxiety. Short term memory has suffered but I've read it will go back to normal. The long terms effects can take up to a year or a little more to finish. But honestly... withdrawal or not this is ****ing 18 times better than how I felt for before. The uneasiness and anxiety quit messing with your happiness and you learn how to deal with it and live with it. After the progress I've made in 5 weeks, I fully believe someday my brain will be fully rehabilitated.
    Steps I recommend... 1.) Seeing an addictions counselor. They know people 100 times worse than you, and have saved their lives. If you listen, they'll save yours. 2.) Find things in your lives you enjoy other than smoking. I'm extremely interested in politics, sociology, and stand up comedy. I've listened to SO much Bill Hicks and George Carlin over the past 5 weeks. Really has made me a smarter, funnier person. 3.) Talking it out with someone who truly cares (there aren't many of those people in life.) Talking about the withdrawal makes it easier. 4.) Stay away from stoner friends. If you're not willing to do this you're not willing to quit. Most of them will want you to fail. Misery loves company,and many of these people are depressed and in denial. They may say things like "Smoking dope doesn't affect me i'm completely fine, it's not hurting me a bit." This is their way of avoiding a difficult reality. Know what else is? Having people around you reaffirming your addiction. 5.) I'm going to rehab. "But dude, you've been sober 5 weeks, you're good to go." Naw. I was into other drugs too. Coke, MDMA, Ritalin. I'm going to learn how to live in a ****ed up world without drugs. Learn discipline. Self-love.
    EVERYONE: IF I CAN DO THIS YOU CAN DO THIS. AND DON'T THINK FOR ONE SECOND I WON'T DO THIS. I"M ON MY WAY. I LOVEYOU ALL AND AM SORRY YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS. BUT YOU WILL SUCCEED IF YOU SEEK HELP, AND KEEP FIGHTING. WHO WANTS TO USE A DRUG TO BE HAPPY?

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Hi there Jsb21.

Well said mate, well said. Point 4 is what I found helped me heaps. Stoner friends are such a bad influence.

I hope that I can say the same at 5 weeks. I am nearly at 2 weeks now and am loving life. I also wont go back to weed, it sux.lol Took me 20 years to work that out. haha

Good luck mate and keep strong!

Grateful

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Wink Thanks for inspiration.

Im on day four and Im already feeling better honestly. I quit cold turkey from smoking a half Oz a week for three years. I was rough but I now have an unbelivable sense of mental clarity, I feel so much brighter. Thanks for sharing your storie it gave me some encourgment I need right now to stay clean~

I wish you all the best in your new life without weed.

Your words are true and inspiring. Thanks for posting! My biggest roadblock is the friend issue because I have no friends who aren't stoners. Every time I've relapsed it has started with a smoker friend.

Hi jsb21,

Wow! What a post! Seems like you summed up the entire first phase of quitting in one succinct post. You sound like you are doing so well, so keep going. All I ould like to add is that it can often be a long, long road, so if you do happen to have a brief relapse, don't feel like it is the end of the world, or that you failed. Just pick yourself up and keep going fromm where you left off.

All the best.

Good point, NotMyRealName. I have had a couple relapses in the past few weeks but I'm still determined to create a weed free life for myself. The biggest temptation is when other people around you are smoking. I'm not strong enough to endure that yet but I hope one day I will be able to be around smokers without partaking.

Nolan G Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Attempting to quit again

Hello I'm new first time posting. I'm 34 and have been smoking very consistently for the last 12 years or so. It's a daily occurrence for me, like most who have problem with marijuana. Multiple times a day, always when I wake up and then 4-5 times a day after that at least. I was doing it every day before work as well before I quit my job in which I made 150k at in 2015 but last year a lot less (probably because of the weed?) I am about to start a new job in the same industry with the same income potential after several months away and want to quit for good so that I can do well at my new job and get my life back on the right page. I've always had a bit of a temper but now I and my wife have noticed it's gotten a lot worse the past few months with me getting very frustrated over dumb things like the printer not working that results in me having a outburst and swearing and yelling (only in private thankfully). But I definitely feel like the marijuana leads me to having mood swings and thus getting into a rage more easily. I have a more negative view of the world and am not a very happy person right now even though I am very fortunate to have a beautiful wife, a house, loving family,etc. I don't appreciate what I have like I should. I also frequently get anxiety when I smoke and have also put myself and my wife in not so safe situations before (having an anxiety attack while driving for example). My wife says she doesn't mind me smoking a lot less but the problem is that I have addiction issues with marijuana and can't just smoke it once a day or on the weekends only if I have it. It makes me feel sick to think of all the $ I've spent on the habit. It's been 10 months since I quit using dip tobacco after doing that for 15 years so I know I can quit this too. The longest period I think I've gone without using in the last 5 years is 2 months, after I was completely determined to quit after going through Cannabis Hyperemesis from smoking too much in Amsterdam. That was the worst 5 days of my life with constant nausea, throwing up and pains. I really thought I was done forever and quit completely cold turkey because the cannabis hyperemesis was soooo bad. I only started again when a friend (who knew I quit) asked me to hold on to his cookie edibles while his parents were visiting. Of course I had a cookie and I've been smoking daily again since then (October 2015). If anyone who has a similar story and is at a similar point in life in terms of trying to quit then I'd love to have a sober buddy to stay in touch with. Also appreciate any suggestions anyone here has for me. And finally, thank you for reading my ramble!

Hi Nolan,

Welcome to the group. It is great to see you here!

I also gave up smoking weed because I thought that I wasn't reaching my potential, and I found that after I was through the withdrawal period, my brain started working so much better. I was smarter at uni, and making better judgements and decisions at work. It was such a nice feeling. It was like getting my brain back. I hope the same thing happens for you. It sounds like you have another really good opportunity at work. It would be great to embrace it!

I know what you mean about not being able to be a casual smoker, once it becomes habitual. I found that I would go back to the same level of smoking again, after a quit. It would creep back in. I had a lot of success with gradually cutting down, but that doesn't work for everyone. I think that our brains are hard wired to want the same level of stimulation, so when we even have even one smoke, all those receptors open up again, and we gradually smoke as much as we always did.

Congratulations on quitting tobacco. I quit tobacco about a year before I quit cannabis too. It just worked out better for me that way. So I hope that you can take the next step and quit cannabis too! I know that the initial withdrawal effects can be uncomfortable, but I think that you have learnt a lot from your previous attempt and that you know that it will get better pretty quickly.

Thanks for posting your story here, I think it will help others :-)

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Nolan, and Alice

NOLAN, I can relate to your situation almost to the exact details. Dude I am so with you.
    One difference is that my wife thinks I stopped smoking years ago. I still smoke every day. I feel disconnected from my goals and dreams. Like I am living another reality from my loved ones. I want to quit everyday but am unable. I have tried to quit and failed so many times I stopped counting. It always seems like a mountain ahead and then I go back to known territory.

Today I had a moment of clarity. I made a contract with myself. Signed it.

I am a 35 yo ex-smoker, SO ARE YOU. You are great guy that USED to get high!

YOU CAN DO THIS. I'll be right here. I am ready to be your quitting buddy. MSG me

Thank you everyone for your support

TTMO

Hi there,

Nolan are you still feeling great a week or so in your quitting? It's awesome if you don't have any withdrawal symptoms. Haven't seen you here since your last message a week ago and I hope all is well.

Cheers,

ttmo

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising