+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quit marijuana and Dream Big

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Smile Quit marijuana and Dream Big

After 40 years of heavy pot smoking I have given it up. It has been about a month now and I believe I am over the worst of the physical withdrawl. The rest is simply a mental battle and a lot of that is well documented on this site. The site, by the way, has been instrumental in helping me abstain and I encourage any one who has made the decision to give it up to use the people and the information here as a support tool.

That being said one of the benefits of quitting has been that I am now experiencing a much better dream life while I sleep. My dreams are vivid and full of excitement and pleasure. As part of my rehabilitation I have started to practice lucid dreaming. This is a state of awareness that allows the dreamer to control actions and surroundings in dreams. In the past week i have flown over vast landscapes and cities. I have visited Indian tribes, spoken with my deceased father, and believe it or not, partied my ass off...including smoking pot. All of this with full access to my conciousness. Not all the dreams are lucid...but even non-lucid dreams I can remember with clarity. Nothing I have ever experienced with drugs comes close to the exhilaration I feel during and after awakening from these dreams. There is a certain unexplainable alertness I feel on waking that fills me with calm.

I am posting this in order to find out if others are having the same experience, and perhaps as an inticement to those that are thinking about quitting or are having a tough time with it. Believe me without knowing who you are...if I can do it...you can do it. I assure you that once you get your dreams back you will not want to lose them again. And if your dreams return in your sleep maybe your life dreams will become more clear as well. I wish you all the best in your efforts to be clear and concious. If you need some help and support let me know....the world could use more dreamers.

Peace

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

rob.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Kali Cannabis Rehab Guest

Thanks for that extremely interesting post, lucid dreaming sounds awesome, how do I do it?

Smile Lucid dreams

Hey Kali,

There are many techniques to inducing lucid dreaming. The main authority on the subject is a fellow named Stephen LeBerge and there are a number of websites under his name that will be helpful...however it is not a difficult thing to do and you are likely to do it tonight if you follow these simple procedures.

First you should expect it to happen...not hope..plan for..wish..but absolutely expect it to happen. During the day ask yourself if you are dreaming and set up a dream signal such as looking at your watch or your hands...I plug my nose and try to breathe. When you are in the dream states these will be confirmations that you are dreaming. When you begin to dream you will realize that you are dreaming and your dream signal will confirm it. As I said, I plug my nose and if i can still breathe then I know that i am dreaming...if it starts to fade I repeat the procedure and it keeps me in the dream. You are likely to get very excited the first time you do it and that excitement might snap you out of it...don't worry you can often get right back into it. If you wake up...lie very still and do not open your eyes. You will feel totally immersed in the dream and able to do whatever you desire...fly, dive under water, walk through walls, have sex, smoke dope... whatever. Of course it takes some practice to do it consistenly and the more you practice the more control you will have. It is also a good idea to keep a dream journal every morning with as much detail as you can musster. Once you start doing that you will become more and more aware of your previous nights dreams as the day goes by. It is becoming conscious of our dream states that allows us better control of of lucid dreaming. It is an unbelievable feeling. Lucid dreams are most likely to come at the end of your REM cycle and most people experiece them around 4 or 5 am before waking. Besides Stephen LeBerge and his insights I have just finished reading an amazing book entitled "The Head Trip Adventures on the Wheel of Consciounsness" The book explores both the waking and sleeping states of consciousness that we all experience on a daily basis. Many of us started smoking dope as a way to "expand" our consciousness only to end up masking all these wonderful natural states. Once we tap back into the incredible abilities of our brains we begin to see pot and other drugs as inhibitors instead of liberators...another reason to give it up and stay clean. Try it tonight it will be one of the best highs you have ever had...and it's cheap.

Sweet Dreams

rob.

That is indeed an interesting post, what I found particularly interesting was the ability to feel the effects of taking drugs, whilst there is none of the actual drug in your body. This also made me consider something else, if your body does produce some of the chemicals that taking drugs produces, naturally by doing this, like an increase in dopamine for example, could you potentially experience some of the side effects, that an increase of that particular chemical causes. For example when your brain gets flooded with extra dopamine, it compensates by closing down a certain amount of dopamine receptors, in a attempt to rebalance it’s self, the affect is that the more you do this the less dopamine your brain is able to absorb. This is one of the problems that all types of drug addiction causes. An imbalance of dopamine can also lead to anxiety and paranoia, something that many drug users experience also. Wouldn’t it stand to reason that this could still happen, whatever the reason for extra dopamine in the brain being absorbed is, even if the effect is produced naturally, without taking any artificial stimulant.

I really hate to say this, but couldn’t you still experience some of the negative effects of taking drugs by doing this? Particularly if you were to overdo it.

I am not trying to put a downer on the whole thing, I know there are plenty of other experiences to enjoy whilst lucid dreaming and it sounds like an amazing and wonderful world. It’s just as you mentioned the ability to have that particular experience, it did make me wonder.
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

Smile Dream Trip

Very interesting point I have not considered that at all. I will check it out and get some opinions. My inclination is no...there should be no ill effects as dopamine is produced naturally when we are happy, excited, exhilerated etc...and does not have ill effects. I can't imagine our brains overproducing anything naturally but I could be just dreaming. I will point out that although marijuana and other drugs do show up in my dreams...lucid and non-lucid... I still abstain even in the dream state. I mentioned it from an anecdotal point of view. As you point out lucid dreaming in itself is a high. I'll check it out.

On another note I have also found that certain scents are helpful to me in reducing anxiety and craving for weed. In particular lavendar and rosemary. When I feel the urge to smoke I simply sniff the living herbs and that reduces the urge.

rob.

It is an interesting concept isn’t it, I am not saying it is definitely true, it’s just a thought that occurred. I myself have being a bit of a drugs fiend in my time and although I too now abstain, I still have cravings and know the love for drugs all too well, it’s ironic because I run this cannabis rehab site most people probably think I am some sort of right wing neo con Christian, the reality is that I am actually more into eastern beliefs all though I don’t go on about it, I try to keep religion out of my posts, fairly left wing in many respects and have a history more like Keith Richards than George Bush. I have a real interest in the nature of consciousness and spirituality in general and the subject of dreaming in relation to this absolutely fascinates me. In fact allot of stuff that I have studied in my time, believes that when we dream we leave our bodies all together a bit like astrally projecting, in which case it would not damage our physical bodies at all, maybe it just affects our etheric body, whether it is possible to damage that I don’t know, I am not sure that it is, assuming that any of its true lol, what on earth am I going on about, it’s late and I have gone into stuff that’s totally out of this world, I suppose whenever I speak to anyone who is interested in things like drugs, consciousness and dreaming, I sense a kindred spirit and open up. I too have took drugs in my dreams and did experience a high, which is one of the reasons I mentioned it to begin with. I really do hate to be the guy that’s pointing out the negative, it’s just that when it comes to drugs I have learned the hard way, that you have to be careful you don’t overdo it, as much as I wish it wasn’t true.

Anyway back to the subject as to whether your brain could harm it’s self with natural activity, you would hope not it’s a bit like saying don’t have too much fun. Although from what I have read the brain does compensate when you produce too many feel good chemicals, by closing some of those receptors down and that’s what happens with prolonged drug abuse. There are people who have problems with their brain naturally producing too much dopamine, like schizophrenics for example. And cannabis producing too much dopamine may be why it can cause psychosis/schizophrenia. I am not sure that lucid dreaming is totally natural and I do have certain reservations as to whether we should be interfering with this natural process, that said I can’t resist and will try to give it a go. Thank you so much for your posts on this subject they really have been fascinating, I love to talk about this kind of stuff. Once again thank you for you kind words about the site.

Take care.
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

We don’t really know why we dream, there are a number of theories, but we don’t really know for sure. There are some who believe that it’s a necessary function of the human brain and keeps us sane, so I too see the reason for having reservations, as to whether we should interfere with this natural process. A very interesting subject never the less.

Default Answers

Well, I have done some research on a couple of lucid dreaming forums. i put the question out to others about how drugs in dreams might affect recovery. Firstly many people were surprised and even skeptical that such a thing as marijuana addiction and withdrawls were even possible which is an indication of the lack of knowledge about the drug in the general population. I did recieve a lot of replies from former users and others who overwhelmingly were of the opinion that taking drugs in dreams either on purpose or as a result of a non-lucid dream could not be harmful. In fact many agree that it can be beneficial. Many cited the case of cigarette smokers who invariably will dream of smoking while in the process of quitting yet it doec not make them smoke again. If anything the relief that it was only a dream strengthened their resolve. I concur. In my case the recapturing of my dreams and the ability to lucid dream without inhibition is one reason I will continue to resist the temptation to smoke dope. i am in my fifth week now and must admit that I am still feeling effects of withdrawl in particular feelings of anxiety and sadness. It comes in waves even bringing me into crying jags. I was holding it back at first but now I just let it go.

One aspect of quitting is that I am now aware of what a powerful drug marijuana is and I have decided to commit more of my time to helping others get off the drug and preventing young people from getting started. I think finding other ways to explore and enjoy our natural states of consciousness is a good start.

Peace

rob.

It is amazing how unaware those sort of circles are as to the potentially negative effects of marijuana and it’s addictive potential, I know I have mixed in a fair few of them myself in my time. It’s definitely an area of awareness that needs to be raised. Thanks for looking into that and once again thanks for your contribution to this forum.

I watched a documentary on the BBC by horizon called why do we dream? It said that they may be crucial to our mental health and amongst other things help us to cope with trauma, solve problems, learn, etc. So maybe a little bit of lucid dreaming is ok, but maybe it’s a good idea not to interfere with them too much.
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

Happy quitter Cannabis Rehab Guest

I am so happy to have my dreams back and I thought quitting dope would be no fun... I have not mastered lucid dreaming yet...But I am still having lots of fun... Dreaming rocks!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising