+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lack of motivation after quitting cannabis

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    It will get better, hang in there!! It sounds like you have some very good reasons for quitting!! Even though it FEELS like it is motivating, you might be surprised to see how motivated you get when you are past the initial withdrawals. It has been eight months for me, and so many areas of my life have improved out out sight. Good luck!!
    What parts have improved? I'm on day 9 and it seems to be getting harder. I feel like everything is bottling up inside. One smoke break and this would be gone.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Hi there,

In answer to your question, what has improved. . . I would say so many things. You know that thing with cannabis, when you just feel like you are all over the shop when you smoke it? It feels like you are so up, and then so down, and I remember thinking about my brain waves when I was quitting, wondering if I really wanted a 'squiggly line' for a brain wave. It actually feels so nice to be 'balanced'. It might be hard to imagine, but I set goals now, and I achieve them. I feel like I am putting one foot in front of the other, and actually getting somewhere, as opposed to wandering all over the place.

I know that you could stop the pain of the withdrawals with one smoke. It is a bit of short term pain for long term gain, in my opinion, and every time you decide NOT to smoke, you will get stronger, and stronger. Your quit is like a muscle, and it gets stronger, every time you overcome a craving.

The list of things that have improved is probably too long to mention. I feel like my social skills have improved significantly. My relationships are better. Just recently, I realised how much more I 'connect' with the people in my life. Also, I am actually a million times more able to utilise my intelligence now, with a HD average at university and work is really gathering momentum. Also I am so much happier. Life is better.

Imagine a time when you don't give a rats arse about weed. When you are so past this initial withdrawal discomfort, and you know that one smoke would bring all that chaos and negativity back into your life. It is possible.

Try to be kind to yourself while you are going through this. If you are bottling things up, come here and let them out. It is temporary, and the addictive part of your brain will try to talk you into smoking with a range of different tactics. It will probably get harder before it gets easier, but I know you can do it, and it is so worth it, I promise.

Cheers,
    Alice

Default Ah yes, yes.

Marijuana acts like a benzo in this regard. It does antagonize and upregulate GABA, abolishing those sites, and quitting it can be intense for some people. I quit about 40 days ago and still am trying to return to painting. It depends how long the addiction went on.
    I smoked for a year and it took 2-3 months to rebuild my mind.
    Socializing and working somewhere is good, is forces you to redeploy your work ethic.

Sorry to be a pharmacology nerd but aren't benzodiazepines a GABA agonist rather than antagonist?
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

Livingclean Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default It will pass

I'm new to the blog , but I love the post , I've just quit again, and those feelings will pass , yoga, meditation and running, have helped me loads . You just have to give yourself time , it's a powerful drug , and there's lot of chemicals that need to rebalance in your brain, and your emotional state will level out ✌️🙏🕉🙌

Default Motivation

I've been off of marijuana for 3.5 weeks, and I have to say some areas have improved. Mostly anything that has improved is physical like my lungs and some overall endurance. I've noticed this because I've been playing basketball (something I also enjoyed to do while high). Besides that, it's been very hard to get motivated to do the things I used to LOVE to do when I was smoking. For example, I love to write and record songs. In fact I was pretty much living for that purpose for a few years and it really made me happy. I would smoke weed multiple times a day and had been high pretty much all day everyday for a few years, but I was highly motivated when I was high. I would smoke and if I wasn't doing something productive I would get anxious and literally have to do something work oriented. During this time I was a manager at a cafe, and had graduated college with an above average GPA. Now I have quit to find a better job with a salary and I can't find motivation or enjoyment in anything. I don't even want to think about working on my songs because the whole process is so frustrating. I've not been tempted to smoke again because I understand what I have to do, but it's killing my motivation to be creative and work on the side of life that I really love which is art. So it's hard not to notice the difference.

On a positive note, I have felt a little more connected with my family seeing as how 1/2 of them hate weed and are pretty conservative, but the other 1/2 truly love it so there isn't much of a difference. Is the lack of motivation a withdrawal symptom? Has anybody been experiencing similar things? P.s. I feel like as soon as I can get away with smoking again I will, but this time maybe only in the evenings when I'm away from a professional environment and I'm enjoying alone time. ADVICE PLEASE!!

Hey there,

Lack of motivation is definitely a common symptom. It is a thing that many people struggle with when quitting cannabis.

The reason why it is happening is because smoking cannabis caused large amounts of dopamine to be released in your brain. Dopamine is the reward neurotransmitter, so when you stop smoking, you are not getting the large doses, but you still have a whole heap of dopamine receptors that are screaming at you to feed them dopamine. That is where the withdrawal effects come from. The lack of motivation comes from the fact that you have decreased the stimulation of your reward centres in your brain significantly. It is understandable that you feel unmotivated for a while.

The good news that it only takes time to get back to a normal level of motivation. I found that after about six weeks, I started to feel so much better. Now, having been quit for nearly two years, I am absolutely motivated to work and be creative and engage with my friends. My motivation is just the same now as when I was smoking. The difference is that the things I want, I actually work towards now, because I am not all over the shop.

Does understanding the process behind it make it any easier? Some people find that rewarding themselves with small non smoking rewards can help to get the dopamine systems normalised in a shorter time. I am thinking little things that would give you a little buzz - going out for a walk, doing some exercise, eating out, going to the movies, buying yourself a special treat with all the money you are saving, a warm shower, or a cup of tea, for some ideas.

Good luck and let us know how you are going
    Alice

I have not been anything resembling happy since I quit. Everyday is just one painful day closer to killing myself.

Hi Unregistered guest,

Obviously reading about someone feeling such an horrendously awful way is extremely concerning and upsetting, and all I can say in regards to my own experience of feeling that way is that it did pass with time, all be it wasn't anywhere near as quickly as I would have wished it would be at the time and when you are feeling that way it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel or soultion to your present situation, I have certainly known how that feels.

May I ask how long it has been since you quit, I know the earlier days of doing so can be some of the darkest and so hopefully there is every chance you will start to feel better in time, most people find they do, and I very much hope that is the case for you.

So as trite or cliche as it may sound I hope you hang in there and continue to keep fighting until the point that there may at least be some chance of the darkness clearing and some kind of sense of hope returning.

Please feel free to visit and post here as much as you may wish to do so, if you find it to be of help. But I also feel you need professional help and urge you to do so if you are not already, I would also advise taking medication if needs be and to do whatever treatment it may take to get you back in control and on top of the situation at least as much as you can, very often in these kind of situations it's about taking the smallest steps in making at least some progress, as rapid and dramtic soultions rarely appear all by themselves but I hope you can take even the smallest of steps to improve things in some way.

I sincerly hope you start to feel at least a little bit better soon, with empathy,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

Mxfy Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Just nothing

Really resonated with the first on this thread. I feel like I understand the dopamine science well enough but it helps to read someone else’s experience. I am on about 3 weeks. After weening down to once a week to end a pretty long term habit.
    I really hate feeling this way. I can’t care about anything and I’m tired all the time. I look at everything around me as pointless and bland. I look at things around the house which are part of ideas or projects that once inspired me and they do nothing. Everything just looks like everything else.
    I am struggling at work. Not caring, not having energy to even pretend to care which is ironic because I work to support people through tough times.
    I have glimpses of what is described above, but they are fleeting and they feel like a level 1 compared with a possible 10.
    I long for a day off “the quit” and part of me keeps making plans for this. I go for runs, I set goals for learning and building stuff, but it’s auch a drag to get started doing anything.
    I have kept my practice of yoga going through this. 1 hour each morning including meditation. I take splice in the philosophy that everything changes. That everything is just a subjective experience, but I’m done with it now. I want my life back.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising