+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lack of motivation after quitting cannabis

Default Lack of motivation after quitting cannabis

OK, slight bit of history, I have been smoking cannabis pretty much constantly since the age of 15, in this time, I have managed to work full time, have children, run my own business, enjoy mountain biking, basically live a full enjoyable life with plenty of motivation (despite claims to the contrary that cannabis destroys your motivation). Now at the age of 30 I have decided to quit, currently one month in with no weed at all. Some symptoms were present at the start, started to dream again and slight agitation....but the biggest thing has been complete lack of motivation. Before I was very creative and always on the go, surviving quite comfortably on 5 hours sleep a night and doing all that I stated above. Now I feel like I have the motivation of a house brick, I will get up and do things, but it takes some serious amounts of mental preparation and having to talk myself into doing things....can still feel like absolute crap even after 8 hours+ of sleep a night, just generally motivation is completely absent. Is this a normal thing? Or is there some underlying problem the cannabis was possibly covering up? Basically I seem to be experiencing the complete reverse of what cannabis is stated as doing, instead of being completely devoid of motivation whilst on the drug, I was highly motivated (almost intensely stimulated in fact!), now off the drug, I just want to lie in my pit and forget the world. Don't really know what to do from here. Oh yeah and the junk food...used to be a great and creative cook, now I cant be bothered and just eat rubbish and the mountain bike has barely had a look in (even though I want to get on it, I just can't!). So frustrating to say the least....any help, tips, advice? Anyone experience similar things? Cheers!

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Dear tjr,

Sounds very familiar... kinda like my story. I lost all interest in hobbies and life. I began to feel that joy again between 3-6 months.
    If you want to be free from active addiction, ride it out. It's well worth it.

Robin

Yes i know that feeling very well. I have been smoking the green for twenty years daily and did not think that giving it up was gonna be too much of an issue, But i was so wrong. One of the first things to go was my sleep which was not too bad i could cope. Then it was my concentration level, could not watch a film or even enjoy my music anymore. Then the motivation this all lead me to some depression and a bit of anxiety which i am still dealing with. I never had a problem leaving the house and getting things done, but now its all up hill and it really does piss me off. "You will feel much better when you give it up" they said Well i am still waiting. I am three months into the quit and guess its just a matter of time to get use to being a different person. I do feel at times that i need to get back to the green as this new low me is not what i was after.
    How are you getting on now tjr?? Is the new world better for you?? I hope so!!

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Pregnant trying to quit

I have recently became pregnant and I have been an avid smoker for about 10 years. I obviously want a healthy pregnancy so I have quit weed. Its been about 2 weeks and I am in the same position I have no motivation for anything. I use to be so active, my house use to be spotless, I used to cook every night now I feel like I can't do anything. I am a vegan so I use to plan meals carefully, I use to make sure I excerise everyday now I feel like I can't get off the couch or cook. Its horrible...

Hi there, congratulations on your pregnancy. Check out Sunshine's blog. She recently became pregnant too. Perhaps you can support each other!

I know what you mean about the lack of motivation. It is just a temporary withdrawal symptom, which will pass in time. Be kind to yourself and reward yourself with non drug things regularly, so that your brain can learn to feel pleasure again.

I am five months quit today. It really is a much better life promise! Good luck!

Cheers, Alice xx

NothinBeatsAFailLikeATry Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Thanks Alice

Read your diary and it inspired me too!

I'm on day 4 and can only hope five months will pass soon.

Well done to you and keep it up.

Peace and blessings 😘

Thanks so much! It is good to hear that you are finding other quit stories helpful. I really could not have done it without a blog to talk myself down when the cravings hit.

You may be on day four, but time is your best friend. Every day a bit more healing happens. I hope your five months passes quickly too, because from the point of view of being on the other side of it, I feel so empowered and strong. It really is worth it!

Remember that your brain needs to make new neural connections. I think this is really helpful, because pretty much everything you do can help.

Sending all my best wishes. Go you!

Quote Originally Posted by robinl555 View Post
    Dear tjr,

Sounds very familiar... kinda like my story. I lost all interest in hobbies and life. I began to feel that joy again between 3-6 months.
    If you want to be free from active addiction, ride it out. It's well worth it.
    You give me hope.

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Im writing this now because the cravings, depression, and lack of motivation are at a high. Ive been smoking for about 7 years now many times a day. Ive only quit to gain employment and each time i go right back. I would have never quit smoking but this year i have had pneumonia, pleurisy, and bronchitis so i think its time to treat my lungs better. Weed has always felt like my friend. In high school when i started it i was going through a lot of depression and then i started smoking and everything started to turn around for me. I am an artist and art and everything was so much more enjoyable to do. As i became an adult it became a happy motivater for every aspect of my life. I can relate 100 percent when i read comments of how weed makes people motivated instead of stereotypically making them lethargic. But there was the huge downside in that i needed it to be myself. This connection was formed between my sense of self and weed. Without it i didnt feel like me. So now i realized this and i know its the right thing to do to quit it because of all the problems its caused ( my lack of happiness in my occupation and fights between those who wanted to see me sober) but part of me wants to go back to it. Luckily for health reasons i cant this time. Its been about 15 days since ive quit and it still sucks. Hoping it gets better like some of you here have said. Why do some of us experience weed like this where some really dont like it much. I know its biology but i find it strange. Anyway good luck to you all and i wish all of you the best in your quitting

It will get better, hang in there!! It sounds like you have some very good reasons for quitting!! Even though it FEELS like it is motivating, you might be surprised to see how motivated you get when you are past the initial withdrawals. It has been eight months for me, and so many areas of my life have improved out out sight. Good luck!!

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising