+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A list of things TO DO INSTEAD

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default A list of things TO DO INSTEAD

Not sure how active this rehab group is, but I want to say that it was really great to read all these stories. I would like to share with you as to help future readers and even you seasoned vets taking a gander at the new posts. I am just going to be completely honest here, although it makes me feel ashamed.

I am 26 years old. I have been smoking since I was 14. That is 12 years, that is almost half my life (the good shit too :P). I have heard all the arguments both ways as to whether or not pot is good or bad. I myself am caught in a deeper internal argument. The argument isn't whether or not pot is bad. The argument is whether or not it is worth living a life where you struggle to be successful. Is success worth it? Do I care what people think of me? The debate goes on, and with it my incessant consumption.

Flash back to my childhood. I would cry over everything. I was a really sensitive boy who didn't stand up for himself. As I learned about Buddhism I wanted to be like that, void of desire, and foolishly I thought this meant emotion as well (this is not what Buddhism teaches btw, it teaches you to extend your circle of compassion, which is deeply intertwined with emotion). Nevertheless I saw weed as a way to conquer my overly sensitive self. It wasn't long before it became a crutch, something that made video games way more fun, something that helped me escape the real world, something that made a night-in by myself the most fun ever.

I was an extremely introverted child, spending hours by myself with my legos and hotwheels, playing out intricate plots of betrayal and political intrigue. As I grew up, I discovered video games and how incredibly fun they were. It was when I played GTA3 super high for the first time that I became addicted to pot for the rest of my life. It allowed me to be absorbed into the game in a way I hadn't experienced before. My life began to revolve around getting high and playing video games. My dream life was basically doing that, without parents or needy friends getting in the way.

If this hits you close to home, then you and I have had a similar experience with our lives. Let me be a cautionary tale for you to learn from. I have quit weed cold turkey x times in my life with varying success. I have never made it for very long, but when I did stop it wasn't long before I blossomed into a social butterfly. The question is, who am I happier being? I don't know the answer, because I have never been strong enough to find out who I am without cannabis. I have since done a myriad of other drugs/gambling/alcohol/name a vice. No other vice has stuck. It is cannabis that I cannot control. If anyone ever tells you that weed isn't addictive, I can tell you right now, having experienced most of the other things people get addicted to, WEED IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE THING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY LIFE INCLUDING COCAINE, PK'S/OPIATES, ECSTASY, LSD/MUSHROOMS, SEX, GAMBLING, POWER, ETC ETC ETC ETC. That isn't to say that these other vices aren't more addictive to other people, but from my experience, marijuana stands out as the most addictive by far, and I would have scoffed and rejected that statement not too long ago.

I knew I needed to stop when, the other day, my source left town and I realized (again) that I can't have fun without it. I can't enjoy video games without it. When I quit weed it goes hand in hand with quitting several other things that bring me happiness simply because I can no longer enjoy them without being high. That is why it is so hard, not because it is the weed itself that you give up, but because you are giving up your equation for happiness, and forced to rewrite it.

To combat this I have started a list to which I would love this community's input. I call it the TDI list (to do instead). If you feel like getting high, take a glance at the list and maybe you'll find something else that you would rather do instead (my list is depressingly short #fml). Most of these things (maybe with the exception of drawing) are more fun to do when you are sober minded, but TDI can include anything that is fun to do when you are sober.

1. exercise
    2. writing
    3. drawing
    4. call an old friend to chit chat
    5. play an instrument
    6. read the news

What else?

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Hi and welcome to the group,

This group has been quiet of late and we have just moved domain name so it will probably take a few weeks for the search engines to spider our content again of which we have a large amount, so hopefully things should pick up again soon and we will become much more active again, so please keep posting folks as it will help the community get back on its feet quicker.

Great post btw, I too have studied a bit of Buddhism and I have a great deal of love for its overall philosophy towards life, I have often posted videos of one of my favourite teachers Ajahn Brahm, I have found him to be very inspiring especially the efforts he makes to help and share his knowledge with others.
    I always think doing lists like this are a great idea, speaking of Buddhism how about:

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

7. Meditate
    8. Watch some of Ajahn Brahms videos on youtube and learn everything from how to meditate to how to deal with anxiety and depression. http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising