+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Stopping the WEED.....

Default Countdown to Stopping the WEED.....

After reading through many of these inspirational threads over the past 2 nights I have decided to try and give up smoking pot after 15 years of smoking a bong. I am not sure if I am in the heavy user category yet but feel pretty close. I buy half an ounce at a time which lasts between 4 & 6 weeks and have smoked every night for about 5 years now.

I was introduced to pot pretty late in life (early 30s) but feel as though it now has a hold over me like no other drug. In my teens & early 20s I did the usual alcohol binges over the weekend but when a work colleague introduced me to the rave scene in the early 90s I dropped the drink like a lead balloon and over the next 5 years or so took speed & ecstasy on a Friday and some Saturdays until eventually growing out of the scene and because I no longer went raving I didnt feel the need to take either speed or ecstasy any more. Roll on a couple more years of social drinking without really feeling comfortable I was introduced to weed via a bong. Whilst raving I had always refused the offer of a joint as I had never smoked a cig in my life so the compulsory coughing fit which would have accompanied any drag just wasn't worth it in my eyes so I had always refused.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Someone suggested I should try a bong one night and after a few failed attempts I eventually got the hang of it and each time I smoked I can only describe it as doors were being opened in my head & the pot was the key.

After about 3 years of smoking I was eventually sectioned for around 3 months after the stress of life & work became just too much with me eventually giving up almost 20 years of work and being diagnosed bi-polar but still not able to stop smoking. I have been a daily smoker now for about 5 years and apart from the odd week here & there when we have been on holiday have never tried or wanted too (if I am being honest) stop smoking pot.

I am now at a stage were I want a life without weed so am going to try the cold turkey method when my last bud has gone.

I am hoping that my next post is a positive but more importantly an honest one.

Hi, its day 2 now without weed and everything seems ok at the moment. I decided not to finish off my last bud on Saturday as I didn't feel any urges to smoke after I made the decision to quit. Still not sure if I am using the last bud in my stash as a safety net but I guess only time will tell. I will give it to my brother if I reach the month mile stone and still not used it. I managed to drop off to sleep around the 12 o clock mark but woke around 3 am then had some sporadic sleep until the kids got up around 7am. I cant remember dreaming yet but know that 'it is in the post' and fully expect them to kick in around the 5th/6th day mark. The most difficult part I have found is the constant thoughts of not smoking weed again. I have definitely been smoking a lot more cigs but hey, one step at a time & I will attempt to give them up in the near future. Although I have been smoking weed for over 15 years now I only started to smoke cigs around 10 years ago after never trying them in over 30 years but hopefully I feel as though cigs won't be as hard to give up as I don't really enjoy them and it is more habitual than anything else. I seemed to have lost my appetite ATM but need to lose a few pound so no worries there just yet. I still have a positive outlook on my ability to conquer my addiction and listened to some music last night whilst practicing with my Chinese stress balls which I have used quite a lot over the last 20 years to help me with my bi-polar. I will check in again in the next few days or sooner if I am experiencing any great stress. Here is to a drug free life and hopefully more positive news in the near future.

Day 3 & the weird dreams have now started. Although I dropped off to sleep quite easily I awoke after about 1 1/2 hours & found it quite difficult to get back to sleep. After that I was dreaming of playing chicken with a lake full of crocodiles (a bit like james bond in the film were he runs along their backs to escape) and woke up feeling a little anxious. Just bought a new drill today so going to occupy my time with those diy jobs that have been stacking up whilst I have been stoned. Also find myself smoking almost twice as many cigs so although I can see the long term benefits of stopping weed, the short term financial cost is increasing ATM but again one step at a time.

Day 4, had quite a good sleep last night although I did have a slightly groggy head this morning but I put that down to the can of cider I had last night. I didnt remember any dreams this morning but today is very sunny which seems to mirror my current state of mind so still feeling very positive ATM. Going to take the dog for a long walk soon to help curb the urges to smoke. Cant say I miss getting stoned but miss the habit of preparing my bong & smoking it. My wife is being very supportive & we seem to be talking a lot more now were as in the past it seemed such an effort to have any meaningful conversations when stoned. Fingers crossed that I can keep the positive attitude and add another notch to my recovery period. Bye for now :-).

Well done curly for sticking with it and yeah it was prob the cider last night! I had a glass of wine (not a drinker) last night and slept like a log although woke up feeling pretty groggy too. Am looking forward to having more vivid dreams though.

It sounds like you being off the weed is also having a positive effect on your relationship, in that you are connecting more with your wife. I am certainly not snappy with my OH which I can often be when I have been smoking so it shows,how it can also affect personality and others.

What dog do you have? Mine died last year and I would never smoke with her in the room which in a way tempered my use. After she died my smoking went way up from before as I no longer had to get up early to take her out and was also able to smoke in my living room. Having another dog now would really help.

By the way you asked how much I was smoking and it was about 6 joints a night. Not as much as some but a lot for me.

Day 5 & 6, I had a cat-nap in the afternoon yesterday so found it really difficult getting to sleep on the night. On top of that we also had a power cut around 10.30pm with it only coming back on around 3.30am so this seemed to magnify my restlessness as there was little to do once my mobile lost its charge and I was very tempted to smoke but manage to hold out.

The next day I was feeling a little low because of the lack of sleep and was short tempered with the kids although kids can be testing at the best of times. I decided to take them on another long walk with the dog which seemed to tire both them & me out. I got some good news on the financial front today so am feeling on cloud nine ATM but am wary that I don't want it to turn into a full blown manic episode as happened just before xmas with some frivolous spending. I feel more determined than ever to stay off the weed but am aware that tomorrow will be a big test as I am going to my brothers to watch the rugby & will be around people smoking weed for the first time since I quit. I am still having the weird dreams & although I keep waking up every hour or so I seem to be able to drop back off quite easily and pick my dream up were I left off. My appetite seems to have returned & I am giving the green tea a go to try and relax me at night.

Day 7, reached my first mile stone of a week without weed and still feeling pretty good. I now have no safety net as I gave my last bud to my brother when I went down to watch the rugby and although he was smoking in front of me tonight I was quite happy to only smoke cigs and gave myself a pat on the back but to his credit he never offered me any and I feel pretty proud of myself ATM. My only concern is that my blood pressure seems to have increased considerably so I think I will book an appointment to see the doctor next week.

day 8, I had my first full nights sleep last night in god knows how many years so have been feeling very energised pretty much all day. I did my usual long walk with the dog & kids just after 8am today were as in the past I didn't realise that the day had two 8 o clocks in it as I would always be asleep until way past ten after sat smoking until the early hours. I also felt confident enough to throw my bong away today so going back to smoking will be that much tougher without the paraphernalia now. I am considering taking up some form of exercise as of next week but am going to check it out with my GP before joining a gym as my blood pressure still seems to be a little high ATM. I didn't remember dreaming last night so not sure if that phase has passed just yet or whether I was in such a deep sleep that my mind is playing tricks on me but again only time will tell. I feel my memory is getting sharper as every day passes ATM and my ability to recall past events seems clearer. Roll on tomorrow after my first weekend weed free as there are still plenty of DIY jobs to occupy my time.

Well done. Weekends can be hell if you were in the habit. Pat yourself in the back mate. If you feel strong enough I recommend you get rid of everything that you associate with weed (bongs, dealers number). Hit the gym, I do it regularly and though it's hard work it will boost your endorphin levels which will help a lot. Getting fit will help with blood pressure issues as well. Keep it up bro

Day 9 & 10, sleep was again a little fractured and although I managed to stop awake all day I fell asleep just after 10 pm but woke up after 1am and found it quite difficult getting back off. I had a really weird dream about taking forever making xmas dinner (not sure of the relevance of xmas in the middle of may but that's withdrawal for you) and there was a journey along a winding road that kept taking me back to were I started and we ended up going to a pub in the middle of Scotland to eat! I had no urges to smoke yesterday or today. I am typing this at 4.30am and have decided to stay awake now so it's going to be a tough day as only had around 6 hours sleep last night. I had already planned to hire a carpet cleaner today so I think day 10 is going to be a tough one for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising