+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to reverse marijuana related cognitive impairment and memory loss

UK - The X Factor Society that Loves then Hates then Loves again to Blow in the Media's Wind!

Default How to reverse marijuana related cognitive impairment and memory loss

I just read a really interesting article about how marijuana impairs memory:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/n...impairs-memory

If this theory is correct then if it can somehow be reversed then maybe it could help so many of us who have really overdone it using this substance, I myself although have improved significantly still suffer from some degree of the brain fog and memory impairment from seriously over using the drug, I will often forget my cash card number, etc. I think you really have to experience it to understand but those who know the hazy cloud it can cause will understand exactly what I am talking about, I know it's something many of us here have experienced and discussed. Anyway focusing on the positive I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to how this may be reversed and how far away we may be from achieving it assuming we can't already.

I have tried to research this in the past and wrote about the subject on this rehab group but have never really made the headway I would have liked and did not always have access to try various proposed treatments, but now that a few more years have passed and with things moving as quickly as they do in areas like this I thought I might have a fresh attempt and invite everybody here to all join forces in finding out and sharing as much as we can on the subject.

I have only just started researching again but already I have found some interesting stuff but haven’t had time to read much of it just yet. However I have already read numerous proposed treatments mentioned which may help with the problem. Perhaps we could even start a list of things which may be worth further research, so far I think I have read there may be potential benefit in the following:

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Ampakines (piracetam, aniracetam, etc.)
    Dihydromyricetin
    Rimonabant (not approved in all parts of the world as there have been cases of psychosis)
    Naltrexonetem
    Stem Cells (for the future)

Like I say maybe we can all research some of these things further and both expand and narrow down the list, for the record I am not suggesting that you start experimenting with everything either I or anybody else lists in this thread, some things like Rimonabant may not even be safe enough to consider or may be controlled prescription drugs, however at this stage I think we should just gather our research on all the different possibilities and discuss and consider them further, it never does any harm to research something even if it is only to eliminate it.

Drugs/chemicals which work on NMDA and AMPA receptors seem to play a big role so agonists/antagonist that affect these receptors may well be the key, drugs that work on GABA, CB and opioid receptors may well be relevant too, like I say I am still just reading up on it again but it seems like there may well have been some progress in the understanding of the Neurophilosophy in this area.

If anybody wants to contribute to this thread and is unsure of what to search for I found the following a good place to start:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reversing+marijuana+memory+loss
    This rehab group in particular seemed to have some quite good info:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reversing+marij....longecity.org

Anyway let’s research and discuss.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

tony Cannabis Rehab Guest

Admin, could you please tell me what cognitive abilities do you still find impaired in you? Did your impairment begin as you were using pot or during withdrawal? Is there a difference in when it started?

In my case, I never had any cognitive abilities impairment until withdrawal began. I have not overused pot. As of now this is my 11th day since it began, and a lot has improved. Symptoms have greatly reduced to almost non existent. My shortterm memory is almost normal now. My only problem now is I seem to lack concentration on anything and that is making me unable to learn or have any interest in music, also making me sometimes forget things i knew in the past and makes me unsure of things i would have been sure of in normal circumstances. I'v read that this lack of concentration dissapears withing a month. .......I just wanna know if my case is the same as yours.

UK - The X Factor Society that Loves then Hates then Loves again to Blow in the Media's Wind!

I am talking about the negative cognitive effects I experienced before I quit, that since quitting have never really subsided as much as I would have hoped. My cognitive impairment can best be described like this, before I smoked marijuana thinking was like swimming through water after years of smoking it's more like swimming through treacle, it's feels slower, foggy and much harder work and I never used to forget my cash card number or what I had for lunch before I smoked pot, but the more I smoked it as the years rolled by the worse these effects got.

I don't really think I am talking about what you are experiencing as if you only experienced it when you quit in my opinion it is almost certainly withdrawal and will pass as all withdrawal related symptoms do eventually. Why else did you only experience it when you stopped using it? I think you can relax, just give it more time, it's still such early days for you, if you like me still feel like it in nearly a decades time then be concerned (over 8 years), but it's only been 11 days and it takes time for your brain to readjust, I understand it's scary but I am fairly sure you will be ok, just hang in there and try not to worry.

The people I am trying to target in this thread are those who's symptoms are not just withdrawal related who probably would have experienced these effects even before they quit, most probably in a slower and more gradual way and perhaps need a bit more of a helping hand to correct the problem other than just time. Everyone’s recovery is different, many people do get more or less completely back to normal if they just wait a while but others do seem to struggle more, I have read it's like any other injury recovery rates vary from person to person, I guess that’s why doctors can never give guarantees.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

Tony Cannabis Rehab Guest

Hello again admin, thanks for the reply. Well I guess I'm not part of that audience. My cognitive deficiencies are as a result of withdrawal. I was totally okay before it.

I guess then time will be my healer, as well as my verdict as to whether i'l be 'normal' again. Thank you again, you just revived my hope.

I wish you well in your quest for complete recovery. You are a great person. My prayers are with you all in this struggle.

Thank you for your kind words. I agree and think the proof of the pudding is definitely in the timing in your case and I am sure you would agree suffering much longer term effects is not a group you would want to be in, I am nothing but glad that you probably aren't, still feeling it 8 years later sucks, although such treatments if they work may make your recovery time quicker too, so hopefully we all could benefit from finding a solution assuming the individual is game, I guess it’s down to the individual to way up the risk/benefit.

That’s a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves but in my case I don’t really feel there is much of a decision to make. It's so hard to explain to people just how difficult it can make life as obviously you need to be able to think clearly to do practically everything, obviously I can still think otherwise I wouldn't be able to be making these posts and run this group, the ability to think is still there but it's just that it makes everything so much harder, so much more effort, so much more tiring, sometimes you just feel like throwing in the towel on life it's self, but it can vary and sometimes the fog is worse than others.

It's like having to move a bolder when you only have half the strength of everybody else, it takes so much more work and there is a way in which it has changed my consciousness which just makes your whole world cloudy, unclear and surreal in a very dissociative disorder type way, it’s just not the same reality anymore and like you are almost between this life and the next, it's like you have never really sobered up, it feels like to some extent I am still stoned and all monged out, it's very hard to explain. It's not as bad as it was, it's hard to quantify exactly but it's got maybe 70-80% better from when it was at it's worst, but even that 20-30% difference from how you once were is still pretty noticeable. Anyway it's really hard to put exact figures on it and I don't even know if figures can explain it, like I say it's about a really weird and complete change of consciousness which is really hard to explain, you really do have to experience it to understand it, I am just not the person I once was.

I think the reaction I had was relatively unique in its severity and not necessarily typical, I have read it really can vary when it comes to the damage drugs can do as all our neuro chemistry is different and we all process chemicals differently and I suspect I may have just been more vulnerable than most, my family does have a history of various inherited neurological disorders especially tic disorders like Tourette’s which is kind of why I smoked to begin with. Anyway trying to focus on the positive, so far I am thinking of trying the following kind of stack as from the little reading I have done so far research indicates the following may be beneficial:

NOOPEPT (Ampakine) - Could help normalize AMPA receptors and may be good for releasing neurotrophin proteins NGF (Neuro Growth Factor) and BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotrophic factor).
    Dihydromyricetin - Could help normalize Gaba rectors thus helping to clear the brain fog and improve memory.
    Orange triad (my favorite multi vit and mineral) - Has all the main vit and minerals that may help to restore cognitive function.
    Alpha Lipoic acid - Potentially great for improving many things including cognitive function and a good way of boosting the universal anti oxidant glutathione.
    ALC - Acetyl-L-carnitine - Protects against brain degeneration, helps with energy production in mitochondria of cells, and removes toxins from the mitochondria. Often used in combination with alpha lipoic acid to improve cognitive function.

I think these supplements/medicine/drugs/chemicals/ (semantics aside) seem a safe enough combination to me personally, but like I say we all have our own view, my mother won’t even take a vitamin tablet because she thinks they are dangerous, but each to their own. If I do try the above I will let you know how it goes. Anyway back to my art work which is my main passion at present and helps to get me through the night, drugs may have chewed me up and spat me out but I haven't gave up yet. Stay positive people and I hope some if this info may help.

All the best,
    Last edited by Cannabis Rehab Admin; 06-01-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Original post was too rambling about personal rubbish and my own stupid self mocking humor
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

Hello admin, me again. So I'm now three weeks in this battle, and I honestly feel tired. 2 days ago I thought I had fully recovered because my head was fully clear for a whole day, but then the fog came back. I can for a fact say that I am better than I was the 1st week but I really feel frustrated that after 18days lateri still have the fog. I fear it is permanent even though it has come as a withdrawal symptom. I also had vivid dreams for the 1st time 2 days ago. But my other symptoms have greatly reduced I even feel they are non existent.

My question now regards depersonalisation and derealisation. Are they connected to brain fog or depression?

As far as I am aware yes they can be, brain fog is a DP/DR associated symptom but then again brain fog can also be a symptom of other problems too from what I have read, depending on how you define it that is, perhaps it's too broad and generic a symptom in that respect and maybe some may be referring to it in a different way to another. I guess we only know our own experience of it and have to choose from the same set of words to describe it. If I had to describe all the ways in which I feel my consciousness has changed from using the drug I honestly don't think I could, I do try but it's something that would really have to be experienced to fully understand, if you know what I mean.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

And is feeling like i'm not in control a DP/DR sypmtom? (e.g i sometimes feel like i'm on autopilot when walking or talking to someone,or using the tv remote)....Sorry if I'm asking too many silly questions, I just need to talk to sb who understands,,,keep my mind off depression.

MMMMMM, well bear in mind I am not a qualified shrink and just a lay person that has probably learned a little bit more on the subject than most especially in regards to cannabis, but they say with DP or Dr which ever the case may be that people describe that living their life is now like "watching a movie" I think is the term most often used. How much that equates to your or my experience I don't entirely know, like I say these are things that to me personally anyhow do seem quite hard to explain unless you experience them.

I know I myself have often thought that many of my symptoms match the whole DP/DR dissociative disorder type thing (or whatever you want to brand it). But then again I guess I can say that for a lot of things, especially when it comes to the whole area of mind health, once you start reading about these sort of things you can find you match numerous different symptoms of numerous different things, which really does make it such a mine field. I guess that's why a person can go to two different shrinks and get two different diagnosis.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

I have now tried a single dose of Dihydromyricetin and although it didn't seem to make that much difference I think it might have had a bit of an effect, if anything it was more ever so slightly trippy than anything else, like when you try a particular (legal) type supplement and feel just very slightly different in a way that is hard to put to fine a point on but like I say nothing that noticeable, maybe made me a bit more thoughtful and chatty, so perhaps some cognitive improvement there IDK, that said it was just a single dose an perhaps you would have to take it over time to notice the result.

After what I now read I think the ampakines may be the best route to take, so I might try them next.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising