+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Alice's quit journal

Great! I will have to check him out. The Smiths were fashionable when I was in high school too, but I kind of missed them for some reason. It reminds me of this great Australian band called the Smith Street Band which is named after the main street in the suburb that I live in, hehe. Very cool Always more music to check out!

I am always very encouraged by the 'plasticity' of our brains. I know that certain preferences are 'harder wired' as you say, but we can do a lot, even as adults to change the function and structure of our brains. Addiction is a classic case. Years of smoking cannabis sets up those neural pathways and dopamine receptors, but with time and practice it is possible to rewire our brains to recover from addiction. It is very encouraging. I guess it can also be used for something positive too, like learning a new language or learning a musical instrument or something like that!

Did you study pharmacology or neuroscience at university? You seem to be very knowledgeable in this area!

Cheers,
    Alice

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Yes the plasticity of our brains is indeed a great comfort and source of hope especially for people in our kind of situation, for many years even the experts within neuroscience or at least much of the mainstream (there's always difference of opinion) within that field thought the brain could not recover or at least had much less potential to do so, but over the last however many years they have now learned it does indeed have far more potential to do so and is far more plastic than they once thought.

Of course as you and I have already said you have to talk about these kind of things in somewhat relative terms, especially as apparently the extent to which we can recover can vary from individual to individual which again may be down to numerous factors including genes, lifestyle, nutrition, post trauma drugs and therapies and even just the attitude and amount of effort a person puts into recovering. Which is maybe why some peoples recoveries really can apparently be quite astounding.

No I haven't studied either pharmacology or neuroscience formally, I just have a personal interest in such things and like to read, watch or listen whenever I come across something in those areas that interests me and I guess having gone through a number of experiences that relate to them as we all have here it can fuel ones natural curiosity somewhat, but thanks for the compliment.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

No worries. It is interesting. I am so happy to be alive in this day and age where we can easily search for information on pretty much any topic. It really expands our understanding on a range of topics. Just yesterday, I found an app that will wake you up during your lightest sleep cycle. There almost seems to be an app for anything we can think of. It is amazing!

Yes, I hadn't explicitly thought about how much plasticity must differ between different people. I would suspect that for most people, there is an uncomfortable period when we first start to change our habits, that is challenging. It can take a bit of gumption to get through the time required to rewire our brains. I think that if people are aware of this process though, it might be easier.

Yeah I know with one Documentary I watched the neuroscientists doing the spect scans on the brains of former drug users said they were amazed at just how much difference there was in healing between different recovering addicts, it would be interesting to study such users further in the hope of seeing some difference that was identifiable in the way in which they recovered, again obviously there is a huge range of potential causes from diet to DNA but if one could identify some kind of link and prove causation between the two what a great thing that would be.

Unfortunately so much of the research on neuroplasticity is still in it's infancy just like so much within this area but with the sharing and proliferation of knowledge I am sure we will start to see some expediential growth R & D wise within this area.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're not a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 12 years, because I Chose to be free from it's Control on me!

Doo bee doo I am STILL noticing positive effects of not smoking cannabis. It feels kind of subtle, I have to say, but that is half the beauty of it. The whole idea that I would notice the more subtle aspects of life and my personality is a revelation in itself. I seem to remember when I was smoking, my emotions and general behaviour was so much like a bull in a china shop. I made such a mess and my behaviour was so overt. Now, I am noticing something much more subtle. It feels like I am 'building' in a way that I never could before. Every step I take in life is one step up from the last step. When I was smoking pot, I was running in a lot of different directions, but I didn't feel like I was making much progress.

I am so happy and grateful to be alive. It really is the nicest, most decadent, beautiful thing. It is a room full of plants and flowers, that you walk into and realise that you would never have even seen this room if not for how things turned out. If I had not moved to Melbourne, got connected and quit cannabis, I would still be lost in the haze of magic dragons. Hooray!

Hi Admin,

I am reading your post with a bit more time and space on my hands. It really would be interesting to see further research into some of the commonalities between recovering addicts in terms of healing. Did you see that article that I posted on Busted Wagon's thread last week? It was about how important 'connection' is thought to be in the recovery from addiction. Rats in a stimulated heaven environment didn't get addicted to cocaine. http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...-drugs/8528354 It is very interesting and I would love to think more about all the different factors that could be contributing to people's success, particularly in neuroplasticity.

I really hope that you are right and that the sharing and proliferation of knowledge will see more R & D in this area. It is such an important area, and would help so many people!

Cheers,
    Alice

I don't want to put negative stuff up on the internet.

It is pointless anyway. I was thinking about this on my way out. Every time I express my feelings, anywhere in his vicinity, they just get swept aside and ignored. It is really very predictable, then, that every time I go around this loop and get to the point when I break, it gets worse and worse. Because nothing is ever resolved. It just gets bigger and more toxic every time.

It is like cannabis or cigarettes, both of which I have successfully quit, except that it is not as simple (seemingly), as just cutting down and quitting.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    Last edited by Alice; 06-07-2017 at 08:34 AM.

It is so nice to go out and get perspective and engage with my friends and forget about this for a while. I wish I could be out with my friends permanently, and I didn't have to come home to this frustrating problem that won't go away. I feel like I need to go on a holiday from it, but where would I go? The internet is every where. I am so stuck.

I was thinking about magic mushrooms before. Some people say that magic mushrooms changed the structure of their brains and made them more responsive, more empathetic and more creative. This was definitely the case for me, even though taking them coincided with my first bout of psychosis in my early 20's. This article says that they do not cause psychosis, but that was not my experience https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ession-illegal

Good morning How are you all? I hope you are winning today! I don't mean to harp on, but it never
    ceases to amaze me how amazing life is without weed. And how worth it is to quit. I guess I sound like some kind of goody two shoes, but I am so happy.

I had a hell of a week with so much stress, finished off with a late night on Friday night. Yesterday I was so exhausted and so teary and so kind of wrecked. But unlike when this situation may have spiralled out of control and gotten messy, I held it together and even had a lovely evening with my friends. It is just nice.

If I am tired I sleep, if I am hungry I eat. It is a whole other world. It feels so balanced. I am so grateful!

Hope you have a great day / evening! Xx
    Alice

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising