+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: Alice's quit journal

Where have you travelled Sunshine? It must be so easy and amazing living in the UK - Europe is so close. You could go anywhere!?

Living in France for that time changed my life in quite a few ways.

You would probably really enjoy learning some more French. Even a little bit of knowledge can improve your experience in the country so much! I think it is also really good for our brains. Building new neural networks and all that.

Have a nice day / evening

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

The furthest I've been from UK is Malaysia; did 5 weeks solo backpacking one summer whilst at Uni. Spent 3 weeks backpacking Morocco one Christmas so goy to practise my bit of holiday French whilst there.

Have see a little bit of Europe, mainly city breaks (Amsterdam, Rome, Krakow, Dublin, Edinburgh, Budapest). Went on a hiking holiday through some mountain ranges in Romania and the south of Poland whilst at Uni. France once on a school trip when I was about 13, Switzerland for a couple of days on business and lake Garda in Italy a few years ago for a sun holiday (absolutely stunning). And of course seen lots of England and Wales.

Would love to visit South America one day and would like to go to Slovenia and Germany in the not too distant future.

Amazing Sunshine!

It must be so amazing to be so close to all these interesting places and just popping over for a weekend I wish we could do that in Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I lived in Perpignan in the south for about three months and then Paris for about a year. How about you? What were you doing there? And how long were you there for?

I miss it. The world is a scarier place these days though. France cops quite a bit of it!

Thanks for your encouragement with regard to the French lessons. I guess it is the same kind of fear that stops me from going to conversation meet ups, so maybe it will be a good step in the right direction
    Hey there Alice

Sorry for delay in replying.

I did a Summer course in Dijon waaaay back in 1985. Then a year at the Sorbonne in 1986-87. I worked in a travel agency answering phones the Summer of '87, which was a great way to practice what I had learned.

Fast forward to 1995, I worked for Tufts University (in Boston) which has a beautiful property in a small village called Talloires, on Lake Annecy in the Haute Savoie, near Geneva, Switzerland. I was there each year from late April to late September. We did summer study abroad and international conferences. Truly a dream job.

Since then I have been back a handful of times but the last trip to France was back in 2008. Way overdue for another one. Now that I live in California and not in New England (northeast US), Europe is literally twice the distance! No longer a quick "jump across the pond" as they say.

Anyway, yes, I love France as well and have a few good French friends.

Voilà voilà.
    Sending you positive French motivation for your French lessons!
    John

Default Vigilance and temptation - during a weak moment

Last weekend I was out with some people for drinks and dinner and after dinner one of them announced that they were going for a spliff and quite a few others were going to join them (for moral support, I think, not necessarily to smoke). In that moment, something started to wobble in my soul.
    After a couple of rather strong passionfruit mojitos at a floating bar on the Yarra and a glass of wine, on a lovely Saturday afternoon, I felt something in me start to crack. So, I bailed before everyone went to accompany the friend. So, temptation does exist, and if we are not vigilant, I think it can bite us when we are weakest!

Maybe avoidance was not the most 'productive' way to cement my abstinence neural network, but at the time it seemed like a better option than succumbing to the group dynamic and taking a puff!!
    The thought makes me shudder!
    I can't believe how much I have grown without cannabis. It has been intoxicating in a completely different way.

Wishing you all the best on your journeys!
    Last edited by Alice; 12-07-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Default French lessons - Alice's quit journal

Hey John,

Apologies for my late reply to your very fascinating post about your adventures over the world. It sounds like you have really explored a lot and have some nice memories of your time in France. Summers in Europe sound like the ideal situation in so many ways!

What are your favourite hobbies now? Are you still working in California? What industry do you / did you work in?

In terms of my own French lessons, I promised a friend that I would come along to her French conversation meetup on Sunday, but I think I am going to bail, because I haven't been taking lessons and I am too rusty. It will be too big a jump, I think.
    I have right this minute taken the first step in learning more French through a free website (duolingo), so I hope my friend will hold me to it and I will be able to go along to a meetup soon. Maybe if I get the chance over the weekend, I can do some lessons and gain a little confidence!

Hope you are having a good week :-)
    Alice
    Last edited by Alice; 12-07-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Hey there Alice,

A nice little trip down memory lane for me this morning, rereading my post about my time en France. (And now I don't feel so bad about not having replied to your post from a week or so ago! lol)

I have been together with my partner, Martin, for about 23 years, we married in 2013. (For better or for worse, as they say.) He is 20 years my senior so I have been mooching off of his retirement and being a very good Dad to our 8 year old Golden Retriever, Charlie. :-)

I just got a job at a small 8 room inn as an innkeeper here in the town I live in. I think it's a good next step in my recovery--to get back into the workforce, meet people, earn money, etc. Albeit, not as glamorous as some of my previous jobs... The gym has provided a good stepping stone for this as I have become friendly with several people there. My latest "addiction" is Body Pump class. I've been doing this since April. A very challenging class using barbells and hand weights, with tons of repetitions. As the membership coordinator says, "You will NEVER do as many squats on your own as you do in Body Pump." True words.

The instructor, a woman named Dani, is really amazing. Excellent instructor, great energy, and very encouraging. I have become friendly with her, and I just absorb her positive vibes when I go to class. I believe this has helped quite a bit with my recovery, emotionally as well as physically.

I also took a Spanish class through Adult Education this past Fall. I am a tiny bit familiar with Duolingo--I went to it once briefly but I know other students in the class use it. I am hoping to take the next class this Spring, although it meets at the same time as one of the Body Pump classes....

My suggestion to you would be to just go the French conversation group. My experience with these groups is that there are people of all levels. Some people just listen and smile. Nothing wrong with that. You are learning by listening. What is the worst thing that could happen? And besides, you will be there with a friend.

When I looked at the date of my post that you replied to (April 1) I thought back a bit to that time. I am in such a better place now than I was then. What a flippin trip this has been! One that I do not care to repeat ever! (By the way, good for you for not giving in to the urge to partake in the spliff! Did you leave the place altogether? Why were you questioning how you handled the situation?)

Every now and again I think that it would be fun to have a hit or two. Especially if people are talking about it and I remember how much I loved being high. And it is so attainable now that it is legal and people are touting the benefits of cannabis left and right. CBD is a big thing too. My chiropractor even sells it! It has been suggested to me to help with my sleep issues, but honestly, I am just not willing to take the chance with it toying with my cannnabinoid and/or neurotransmitter systems and catapulting me back to where I was. Bleh! Plus, I am really much happier without it. So the occasional thought of having a puff or two dissipates pretty quickly.

The last time I used cannabis was December 31, 2017. So I am coming up on a year cannabis free! I am very happy about this!

Shout out and a big thank you to you, Alice, and all the people on here who have helped me through this year!!

And thank you so much, Administrator, for having this site and all the work you put into maintaining it. It has really been very very helpful to me. I am so grateful.

Well I guess I am a bit gabby this morning lol...Thanks for reading. It really helps me when I talk about or write about the journey.

Have a great weekend!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Hey John,

Apologies for my late reply to your very fascinating post about your adventures over the world. It sounds like you have really explored a lot and have some nice memories of your time in France. Summers in Europe sound like the ideal situation in so many ways!

What are your favourite hobbies now? Are you still working in California? What industry do you / did you work in?

In terms of my own French lessons, I promised a friend that I would come along to her French conversation meetup on Sunday, but I think I am going to bail, because I haven't been taking lessons and I am too rusty. It will be too big a jump, I think.
    I have right this minute taken the first step in learning more French through a free website (duolingo), so I hope my friend will hold me to it and I will be able to go along to a meetup soon. Maybe if I get the chance over the weekend, I can do some lessons and gain a little confidence!

Hope you are having a good week :-)
    Alice
    Last edited by JWC; 12-07-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Hey John,

Yes, you are off the hook! If it takes me 7 + months to reply to your post then I think a week is really very reasonable! Haha. It was nice for me to reread about your time in France too. It is always so inspiring to chat to people who have done stuff like that. :-)

Congrats on 23 years and 5 years of marriage! That is amazing. So good to hear that you have some leisure time. It sounds like quite an idyllic life. I know exactly what you mean about the structure, stimulation, social contact and disposable income about work though. I love work for all those reasons as well.

It is funny that you have been going to Body Pump. This is obviously an international thing. I have been doing it too, for the past month or so. Amazing no? I love the strength that I feel afterwards, and I love the burn for so many hours afterwards, and I love the new music in each session. I have been combining this with running for cardio and I am actually noticing an improvement in my memory. It is so good!

Thanks for your encouragement with regard to the French convo meetup. Everyone, bar none, said that it would be a good idea. And I have no doubt that it would have been good (it is going on right now). I just didn't want to do it this weekend in the end. Sometimes, I think it can be nice to say no to some things out of the interests of self care. I am going to a French swing band party in the city tomorrow evening (on a Monday), and I think this will be nice.

So good to hear that you are reflecting on NEARLY A YEAR cannabis free. So amazing. You have come so far, and I expect that you will continue to notice improvements for some time. I would just say that although it can be tempting to think that you can have one or two spliffs every now and again, in my experience and many other's it doesn't seem to work like that. I think that one hit, or one spliff, opens up all the receptors and over time we get back to the original use. I have heard people saying that X times the amount of time that you smoked (maybe 4?? - that can't be right) can mean that you get over this. For me this would equate to smoking when I am 60 or something and being able to go back to occasional use.

Like you, my life is so much better now, and I feel so blessed to have been able to give it up, so I don't feel the need to go back to that world. It is good to hear that your occasional thoughts dissipate rapidly. After a while, I think it just seems more and more foreign, and not really an option. Although, obviously temptation can strike, even 2.75 years in!

It is nice to see you in a chatty mood. I hope you had (are having) a great weekend too. You were right. I probably should have gone to French conversation, but I am not going to remember this in a month, let alone 5 years, so I am not going to sweat it!

I had a great weekend plotting and scheming for interior design of my house, shopping for plants (which sparked the ideas), and going with some friends to an art gallery and then drinks. It was so lovely. Life is good :-)

Hope you are well!

Cheers :-)
    Alice

I read through you’re thread Alice and I just want you to know I think you are an amazing lovely person and you should be proud of how well you done to give up cannabis.
    I am glad you are enjoying life and I wish you all the best

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Thanks so much Thisisme, that is a nice thing to say :-)
    I feel grateful to have an optimistic attitude, and I think this comes from the first years of life, so I feel lucky.
    I have also had a lot of help!! The benefits of reaching out and getting help can not be underestimated.
    Wishing you all the best in your recovery too. It does get easier!

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising