+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP George Michael Dead at Just Age 53 - Marijuana Rehab, Drugs Addiction and Health

Default RIP George Michael Dead at Just Age 53 - Marijuana Rehab, Drugs Addiction and Health

Hi Folks,

I have just heard the most tragic news of the death of George Michael at just age 53 of heart failure according to his manager, he was IMO one of the greatest singer song writers and entertainers of his era and someone I personally had been a huge fan of.

He openly admitted to struggling with addiction issues and self admitted himself into rehab for marijuana addiction in a drug rehabilitation center in Switzerland, although he also admitted his drug use over the years had not been confined to marijuana alone and had also included a number of other substances including prescription drugs. Marijuana was however his self confessed drug of choice.

He had also suffered with respiratory problems in recent times and nearly died of pneumonia in 2011. Obviously the exact cause of his heart failure will be further investigated in due time but for now the police don't believe there are any suspicious circumstances involved. George's family released the statement that he passed away peacefully in his home on December the 25th 2016, which as we are all aware is Christmas day.

I personally am not going to speculate at this stage as to how related his death may or may not have been to his addiction of marijuana and although marijuana use can cause respiratory problems which can place extra strain on the heart and can aggravate any respiratory and cardiac related problems in general, there was more issues related to his health problems and drug use including the use of sedative based prescription drugs and it is needless to say that non drug users can die early and of conditions like heart failure to. He did however confess to having a 25 joint a day marijuana addiction and regardless of all the numerous effects of the drug it's self I don't imagine inhaling that much of any kind of smoke would do your respiratory and cardiac system any good through the damage and extra strain it could cause.

However IMO it is still to early to say what the exact cause of his death may have been and it will only become clear once the necessary inquest has taken place, but considering he did suffer with an under recognized (especially by the media) issue of addiction that has touched all of us here and considering I myself was also such a big fan of him personally, I just want to pay a massive tribute to George on behalf of myself and this site and say he was one of entertainments greatest stars and will be deeply, deeply missed.

I also want to say to anyone else out there who is suffering from an issue of addiction especially related to cannabis and marijuana that help is available and that you do not have to feel alone or suffer in silence, despite what some may tell you there are many out there who understand your problem and who will be more than happy to help.

If anyone is suffering this Christmas because of their use of cannabis and feels like their situation has to change then please feel free to join our FREE online rehab support group safe in the knowledge that you will be understood.

In closing, once again I just wanted to say that my thoughts and I am sure those of many others in this group are with George, his family and anyone who is struggling with this problem. RIP George Michael we will always miss you.

In memory,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Thanks for posting this CRA. I can't believe that he is gone! He was a huge influence on me too. It is interesting to read about your remarks about cannabis use and the possible effect that this had on his health. As far as I know, cannabis is not associated with a single death, but maybe it kills by stealth. 25 joints a day is a lot!

It is sad that he went on Christmas day. His friends and family must be devastated. I hope that he enjoyed his life. He died too young!

Hi Alice, hope you are well, yes it is indeed a tough one when it comes to knowing what role his cannabis smoking may or may not of had for certain, especially as his post Mortem has initially resulted in an inconclusive verdict and requires furthers tests perhaps that is just how it can be with such cases, I too have heard the statistic that supposedly cannabis has never caused a single fatality, that was at least until some point in the last decade here in the UK if I remember correctly where a death was directly attributed to it although even that was disputed as to whether it was the full picture (although mostly by pot users), I know some claimed there may have been more to it which there may well have been although due to the nature of the strong feelings some people have in regards to the drug some people perhaps would never accept it whether it is the case or not, which again may be another factor that makes establishing the truth so very difficult especially when trying to analyze what the overall consensus is on a particular such matter, cannabis is just a bit like that in terms of the way some people see it, it always has a wide range of strong opinions.

As you say 25 joints a day is a lot and burning/combusting and smoking anything that heavily will do damage to the respiratory system including even cannabis, I have watched documentaries where doctors have shown the scans of lungs damaged by cannabis smoking (something else many pot smokers don't believe), damage which they said is irreversible and anyone who knows how the cardiac and respiratory system are connected knows how the extra strain on one can put extra strain on the other and vice versa.

So yes it is indeed very hard to know how such heavy use of the drug may or may not contribute to a certain people dying and that's without even going into numerous and various other ways it may or may not contribute even if it's indirectly, from people dying from the effects it can have on their mental health i.e. marijuana related anxiety and depression and the suicides it may trigger to road traffic accidents (again many users don't believe it affects their driving), but who knows for sure and when it comes to stealth or indirect knock on effects it's often hard to prove either way especially when there may be other factors present also and some people are beyond been able to be convinced anyhow, although they are usually users of the drug so their opinion isn't entirely unbiased.

So anyway while it is indeed hard to say for sure how much a drug like marijuana can either directly or indirectly contribute to all the various situations in which it may when it comes to certain individuals passing, I personally am a little skeptic and unsure if it deserves the reputation as being virtually the one and only almost magical like exception of a drug that can never cause or even contribute to health problems including fatalities but like I say cannabis is a bit of a funny drug when it comes how it's seen by many especially if it's people that also use it.

One thing for certain is he did die far too young and will be sadly missed by his many many fans.

All the best,
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

If you wish to Use then Use, Your Body Your Choice, You're NOT a Criminal and I wish you well!

My Choice is to be Drug Rehabilitated for 13 years because I Chose to be free from its Control on me!

That is very interesting and thought provoking, CRA. Now that you mention it, it does seems a bit implausible that inhaling smoke, filled with toxins would have little effect on the respiratory and cardiac systems of it's users. Perhaps the real reason why these sorts of urban myths about cannabis not causing a single death is a result of the very minimal amount of academic research that has actually been done on the effects of cannabis.

In Australia the government has already started legalising cannabis for medicinal use, and I remember at some stage in the debate that politicians wanted to grow more medical cannabis, so that they would be able to do a lot more research on it's effects. To my knowledge this is the situation, which makes it even more strange that some states in the US have legalised it for recreational use.

Legalisation has a lot of benefits, including the quality of the cannabis available, and obviously given the push for legalisation of cannabis for medicinal purposes, it does have some documented benefits for people suffering from various illnesses. But as we have seen on this board, it can be addictive and people do struggle more to give it up when it is freely available. If this lack of research is true, I would have just expected more research done, before it was legalised, especially for recreational use.

Good for them, though. I guess it is like cigarettes in a way. . . which should be banned! (I mean that kind of half jokingly, I actually read that banning cigarettes would make them more attractive to younger people, and we have obviously succeeded in a huge reduction in cigarette smoking, at least in Australia through other public policy measures).

I think you make a good point that it supports the argument of cannabis users - it is this magical drug with zero ill effects, and I guess the people who perpetuate this story, and the people who you and I would have heard this from, are indeed committed cannabis users.

It will be interesting to hear the results of George Michael's autopsy when they are ready. You are probably right about indirect effects. Or maybe it is this amazing cancer fighting, non toxic drug!! I would definitely like to see more academic research on these matter.

Cheers,
    Alice

PS. Sorry if my communication is a bit strange today. I have given up nicotine spray today, after being almost two years cigarette free, and I am starting to feel very strange, hehe, , , but it is going to affect my brain for the next few weeks!

I know it's so so strange with cannabis, people's opinions really can be all over the place and also very polarized at that, many also assume that we all have to take one polarized extreme viewpoint or the other and that you either have to think it's the best or worst thing in the world, what's lacking much of the time is those who speak up for a more balanced somewhere in the middle type view.

Take myself for example just because I run this place doesn't make me some puritanical extremist who thinks cannabis is responsible for all the worlds problems, and I don't think prohibition achieves anything productive, if it didn't with booze what makes anyone think it will with other drugs and I certainly don't think using cannabis or any other drug makes you a criminal, not for your use of the drug alone anyhow.

I always say if you want to use then use, your body your choice, IMO that's your right as an individual, however that doesn't mean that cannabis just like with every other drug can't cause health problems or have other negative side effects, as said in my previous posts lung doctors can show you the scans, inhaling smoke any smoke as you so rightly pointed out contains toxins, tar and carcinogens and is always bad for your respiratory system, there is no "good" or "harmless" smoke you can breath in and perpetuating such myths is lunacy, especially if your a really heavy user.

It's a shame really because I think a lot of the harm in terms of this sort of thing stems from the prohibition of the drug, obviously pot users want it legalized and I don't for one minute blame them especially when they have to live alongside the hypocrisy of alcohol and tobacco being legal, why should they risk criminalization when drinkers and tobacco smokers don't and this so I believe is where the having to perhaps try to argue a bit too strong a case or sweep under the carpet some of the drugs negative effects really starts to get going.

Society is in a way incentivizing pot smokers to perpetuate certain unbalanced beliefs in the hope that they may be treated with both the same legal protection and respect or at least normalization that an alcohol user enjoys for example and hence the same old ball just keeps rolling, maybe if society treated marijuana users a bit more fair, rationale and sensibly then they themselves would be a bit more fair, rationale and sensible in their view of the drug and their use of it instead of being forced to have to argue so hard and be so defensive in the hope that the rest of society wises up and treats them in a similar way to how it does with legal and far more socially acceptable drugs, if mainstream society took a more balanced view then maybe the marijuana culture that has evolved would too and would not feel so cemented and united in this self riotous martyr like and almost semi religious mentality that many do at present and perhaps realize it's just a drug and like all drugs it can cause problems for some.

Who knows then at least maybe more may be open to the idea that some people may even need help and rehabilitation when it comes to quitting the drug, if it has become a problem for them. This last point may seem a bit of a strange theory to some but I personally believe it's part of what is going on.

All the best and good luck with your continuing rehab Alice, I think you are doing really well! Congrats on quitting the nicotine too!
    Cannabis Rehab Admin

Thanks CRA, it is good to get through Christmas and New Year without a spliff. I think you make a lot of good points. It is easy to get carried away with the negative side effects when you see how great life can be without it, but as you mention, some people really don't have a problem with it, and it is, as you say crazy that it is not treated in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes.

Prohibition brings around all SORTS of problems. I know that one of the biggest reasons I quit was because the crap that you get on the street is so laced with chemicals and God only knows what. I think that is a symptom of the black market, and hydroponics. If it were legalised, people would get a cleaner and safer kind of cannabis. Quite apart from the criminal culture that goes along with cannabis while it is prohibited. It is dodgy and that is another reason why I wanted to quit. I just didn't want to associate with the criminal aspects of the culture.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Smoking anything, including cigarettes, and herbal cigarettes and weed are going to affect our lungs. I also think you are so right about legalisation being a pathway to helping more people who are struggling with cannabis. Look at cigarettes. The percentage of people who smoke them go down every single year, because of alternative public policy that has acted with health promotion benefits.

There is also a lot of evidence for the fact that cannabis can be useful for some illnesses, and if it could be administered in a form other than inhaling smoke, it could really do a lot of good.

As much as I can see the huge benefits from being quit from this drug, and will probably always encourage others to quit, because I think that it can have a lot of positive benefits to people's lives, I think you are right, prohibition is not the answer. It only makes it worse, and polarises people's views.

Cheers,
    Alice

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising