+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Im giving up tomorrow after 28 years of solid use...any advice?

Default Im giving up tomorrow after 28 years of solid use...any advice?

Im giving up tomorrow after 28 years of solid use ...morning, noon and night. I am over sitting around doing nothing....I've wasted so many years...my husband doesn't want to give up, he wants to cut down and smoke in the evenings....that is going to make it hard.
    First thing in the morning instead of having a cone as soon as I wake up, what should I do? Was thinking of going for a walk, but rain is predicted all day. I don't want to start the day stressed and shitty at everyone...what to do?

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Hi Mickey,

I am really sorry that I didn't write earlier. It can be challenging to change your habits, but it is definitely possible. Even if it feels a bit clunky in the beginning. I have experience doing this with both cannabis and cigarettes. With cannabis I quit gradually by smoking in the evenings first like your husband plans, and then skipping days and then finally giving up. You should do what feels right for you though. If you want to give up cold turkey, research shows that it is effective with cannabis.

Try a few different routines in the morning and see what works for you. A walk sounds good. If you experiment with a new routine, you will learn what works for you, and it will only take a few times of not smoking cannabis to get used to not doing it. I found that with both cigarettes and cannabis. The automatic behaviour did not take very long to replace with new routines.

Don't feel bad if you found it difficult on the first day. As long as you keep your eye on the prize you will get there.

Do you have any other support networks? Are you seeing a psychologist or therapist? I find that can be really helpful.

Let us know how you are going!

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice
    My husband and I did decide last night to gradually cut down instead so we don't get too agitated and shitty.
    So we waited till after lunch, had a couple of cones, which I found ok....now I got to say its a little harder tonight....but we have smoked about 1/3rd of what we usually would. I'm giving up the ciggies cold turkey as I only smoke them when I'm not at home or can't choof. But was really happy that I didn't have a ciggie this morning or a cone! I look at people on the street and think..."i would love to be straight like them" they are out there enjoying life...I've wasted too many years...I need to give up and look after my health. I have too much I want to do and see to waste it smoking and slothing around.
    Changing the habits will be hard...but I do have more energy when I'm straight, so I should do all the things I've put off for the last few decades!
    No therapist...just my determination to change and wake up sober and alert.
    Thanks for your advice
    Mickey

No worries Mickey,

I had a lot of success with the cutting down gradually thing. It can take longer, but it can be less stressful, and I did find that once a new routine was established, it was easier to take the next step.

Habits can be definitely tricky. After studying behaviour in a nutrition subject, I would suggest to aim for replacing the triggered habitual behaviour with a new behaviour at least eight times. That is usually how long it takes to find preference for the new behaviour.

There are definitely a lot of benefits of being straight.

What you are doing with the cigarettes sounds good. I would suggest that if it becomes too hard, to use some fast acting nicotine replacement like nicotine spray, lozenges or gum. This might reduce the withdrawal symptoms and give you time to get used to the idea of not smoking.

Good luck!
    Alice

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising