+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to quit today

Default Trying to quit today

Hello, I've been smoking weed for 35 years off and on, more on than off and I'm at the point where it's beginning tp affect different areas of my life, including my relationships. I no longer think that the benefits are better than the consequences and i need my life back. Does anyone have any pointers or advice for getting through the first few days with minimal withdrawal symptoms?

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

hi Shelley,

I think it is great what you are doing. I know what you mean about that point where the benefits no longer stack up against the costs. My relationships have definitely improved out of sight since I quit a bit over a year ago.

In terms of the first few days, my advice would be:

1. Try to distract yourself as much as possible. If you are doing other things or focussed on something else, then you won't spend time thinking about how awful you feel or how much you want a smoke. One of the best ways to do this is to read everything you can find on this board and on the internet about other people's experiences with quitting cannabis. It can also be helpful to learn more about your addiction.

Many people find that reading is a great distraction, and I found that it is particularly helpful if you are reading something that directly relates to what you are trying to achieve.

2. I found it really helpful to POST whenever I felt like I desperately wanted to smoke. The process of writing down your thoughts and urges can be enough to give you the distance and space you need to overcome an urge to smoke.

3. Green smoothies. I honestly think that the green smoothie that I drank every day when I was quitting, helped to reduce the withdrawal effects. Nutritional health is your friend.

4. People say that exercise is really helpful, as it clears you out and gives you some feel good chemicals in your brain that are so poorly when you quit.

5. Relatedly, rewarding yourself with small non smoking rewards is really important as it starts to rebuild your dopamine pathways. Cannabis releases huge amount of dopamine and your receptors will be starving for a while until they recover. That is why it CAN feel so bad.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that you can't AVOID withdrawal symptoms. They are what they are and what will be will be. You can urge surf, and defuse your thoughts and give your urges and emotions room to breathe so that they don't affect you so strongly, but you can't control your thoughts or feelings.

Wishing you the best of luck! It might be uncomfortable for a while, but it is temporary and it is so worth it :-)

Cheers,
    Sarah

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising