+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to quit

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisme373 View Post
    Yeah I have to say at the moment (day 14) I honestly donít have any desire to smoke, I have had some anxiety and depression but overall today has been a good day, I notice I am a lot more sociable off weed.
    I am aware I have a long way to go though yet and can not get complacent.
    How long are you off weed pal? And how are you finding it?
    I last smoked Jan 10 this year so a bit over 10 months weed free. I am in the midst of my longest period of feeling normal, which is about 1 month. No weird sleep. No weird anxiety or depression. Since mid-summer, longer periods of feeling good began to happen but then there'd be some bumps in the road. This forum helped a lot from the early days of withdrawal until I got out of the woods. I'm trying tp pay that forward. You sound very well-adjusted. You're gonna be fine.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Wow 10 months, you should be proud of youíre self bud, also I may sound well adjusted and chilled about it but the first 8-9 days were hell for me, I was close to caving a few times, I am finding it a bit easier now but for instance today I feel quite anxious, depressed, paranoid and lazy, in the past I thought I had it beat and slipped up 3 or 4 weeks into being clean, I think I still got a long way to go.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Governmentís FREE SAMHSAís National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Wow 10 months, you should be proud of youíre self bud, also I may sound well adjusted and chilled about it but the first 8-9 days were hell for me, I was close to caving a few times, I am finding it a bit easier now but for instance today I feel quite anxious, depressed, paranoid and lazy, in the past I thought I had it beat and slipped up 3 or 4 weeks into being clean, I think I still got a long way to go.
    I am more relieved than proud! Glad to have the worst behind me. To show how everyone's different, unlike you, my first 8-9 days were not real bad. I had some irritability is all. The real problems began around the 2-week mark. That's when bizarre sleep disturbances took hold and hung on for months. Bad sleep, like dominoes falling, made anxiety and depression worse. I still can't believe the sleep problems are over. Thank God they are. You not wanting to smoke is a big thing. Some get fooled into getting high to relieve their withdrawal symptoms and then they regret getting high again, and so on and so forth. That's a crazy roller coaster, even crazier than the up and down symptoms of the withdrawal roller coaster.

When did you find the anxiety and sadness ease off? Thatís the main feelings Iím having recently along with not getting great sleep

When did you find the anxiety and sadness ease off? Thatís the main feelings Iím having recently along with not getting great sleep
    The three symptoms you mention are tied to each other I think. Sleep well then you feel well. Sleep poorly then you feel poorly. My sleep issues, anxiety and depression were almost a daily thing until around 4 months. Then, longer periods of normalcy began to occur but for many months there was a constant slide back into those symptoms. Even at 7 months I had a solid bad week of the blues. Knowing it was PAWS and that the symptoms were transient, with shorter and shorter duration, kept me hopeful and moving forward. Important to remember, symptom intensity and duration vary widely from one person to another. I am hoping your situation resolves more quickly than mine, based on the average length of cannabis withdrawal, it should. I am not the strongest person out there. I got through it and you will, too!

Thanks for the reply but damn 4 months to get through and then 7 months you still having depression that doesnít give me much hope to be honest, Iím feeling like Iíve had enough of this crap already and Iím only 16 days in, everything just feels joyless.

Hey Thisisme373,

Hope you are doing okay today. I just wanted to chime in with my experience. I started to notice significant improvements in both my mood and cognitive function around 6 - 10 weeks. By 10 weeks, I felt a LOT better. And things continued to improve from there.

Anxiety, depression, paranoia and laziness are all very normal withdrawal symptoms, but I sincerely believe that there are things you can do to help recover more quickly. I am reading a really interesting book about rewiring your brain at the moment and it talks about the fact that regular aerobic exercise sets up your brain for neurogenesis or rewiring. It only works though, if you do the mental exercises to help your brain rewire. In the case of cannabis addiction, rewiring is exactly what is going on as you move past your addiction. The process is building new neural pathways that are not reliant on cannabis for your pleasure or stimulation.

I think that the mental work you need to do for cannabis addiction is finding new things that give you pleasure and reward. This is the rewiring that I believe sets you up to escape the depression and anxiety. Do you have some small things that you could do to reward yourself? What are those little things that make you feel a little bit better? Is it a fun song? A game? A cup of coffee? A run or some form of exercise? Going out to do something cultural? A warm shower? These are just some ideas, but if you can think about some ideas for yourself and start to continually reward yourself every day for getting another day clean, I think you will find that in combination with exercise, you may rewire your brain.

Everyone is different, and although I respect and admire the fact that Hyzer stuck with his recovery for 7+ months. That does not mean that the time line will be the same for you. Everyone recovers at their own rate. In my opinion the more active role you take in your healing and the more you actively set out to rewire your brain and change your habits, the easier and quicker the process will be for you.

Take care and hang in there!

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice, thank you for the informative reply, does make me feel more hope seeing that you felt better after 6 weeks, im 17 days off it now and 6 weeks is not too far really, hopefully I feel better week to week as I think I feel at the peak of the depression/anxiety/paranoia.
    As hyzer said I do agree that sleep is linked with it too as when I get some decent sleep I donít feel as negative, when did you find youíre sleep got better Alice?
    Things I enjoy is football (soccer if youíre American haha) my Xbox one, a nice curry, tea, I do go the gym also (the laziness and anxiety make it difficult) I enjoy movies, walks in the woods etc.
    Thank you both for the replies it does really help me.

Hi there Thisisme!!

You are right of course. 6 weeks isn't that far away, and I have heard medical professionals use that date (6 weeks) as that time that you can start to understand what your life might be like without cannabis, so I hope that you feel quite a bit better by then!

Sleep definitely impacts on all aspects of our lives, so it makes sense that you feel better during the day when you get a better night's sleep. Sleep took a bit longer for me to FULLY resolve, but it did improve a fair bit after a couple of months. I was still waking up in the middle of the night with a nightmare for quite some time, but despite this, I was able to get back to sleep and to get a decent night's rest much sooner.

Thanks so much for providing that great list of things that make you feel good. I would encourage you to engage as much as you can in these pleasurable activities that you enjoy. You mentioned in your other thread that you are feeling bored and listless. I found that at the beginning too, but I feel very sure that engaging in activities that stimulate the senses - such as eating a nice curry, drinking a nice cup of tea or doing other things that stimulate the reward system (dopamine) can be very helpful to move through this stage.

It is understandable that you are feeling a bit lazy and anxious, so please don't feel like you should push yourself too hard. I honestly believe that the more sensory stimulation you can get repeatedly, and in doses that makes you feel good the quicker you will recover.

Hope the weekend goes okay for you and that you find some time to just not fret about the fact that you are bored or disinterested. It is all very normal and watching movies on the couch is a perfectly good way to spend time when you are recovering!!

Cheers,
    Alice

Thank you for the reply Alice, you really do give great advice.
    18 days down now, These last two days have been pretty tough to be honest but not in craving weed, more with the depression/brain fog/anxiety/fear/paranoia symptoms, they have been going through the roof these two days, Iím still not really getting a proper good nights sleep, more like broken up sleep where it takes me few hours to drop off then I wake up at times through the night and morning.
    I am also feeling extreme fatigue, itís like I feel exhausted all the time, once it gets to the evening Iím absolutely knackered, I feel like I could sleep all day everyday, maybe this is due to all them years using that I didnít have natural sleep or itís down to my body working hard pushing the toxins out?
    Hopefully I wonít feel shattered all the time soon.

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising