+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to quit

Default Looking to quit

I really need to quit marijuana I am now 30 and been smoking it everyday for the last 8 years, Iíve always only smoked it on the evenings/nights. It has changed me as a person Iím very moody all the time, very irritable, unsociable, paranoid, depressed, unproductive, Iíve gave in jobs donít like to do anything, something dragistaclly needs to change and I know deep down itís the marijuana holding me back, is their any advice people can give me? It may sound silly but Iím on my first day and I feel so scared and irritated/sad at the same time.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Hi Thisisme,

Just know that you can do this. It might be hard for a while, but every day that you don't smoke is one step closer to freedom. My advice in the first stages is to read as much as possible on forums such as these and from search results to learn more about what helped other people succeed and to kill time, while you are feeling the withdrawal symptoms.

Withdrawal symptoms don't last forever and I think it is good that you have only been smoking it in the evenings. I was the same and although I felt irritable as you said, it passed relatively quickly.

It sounds like you have some great reasons for wanting to quit. The good news is that you can find a much better version of yourself when you are free from cannabis. I found that after about 6 - 8 weeks my brain started working so much better and I was better at solving problems at work and uni. I kept noticing improvements in my mood, cognition and social skills right up to about 15 months quit. It is so worth it!

Good luck! Let us know how you are going

Alice

Hi Alice thank you for the reply really does help and I appreciate it.
    Good news is I held out first night and it took me few hours to fall asleep & I was thinking very negative I had some very bad thoughts tbh but I did sleep ok and I feel a lot better for it, far more clear headed and more energy/life in me. I do know though that it will get tougher. Would be great if I can keep talking to you how Iím doing Alice?
    Has anyone been successful just smoking once a week as that is my plan is to have a smoke once a week on a Friday or Saturday.
    Would really appreciate replies on here as it helps me a lot.

Hi Thisisme,

Yes sure, that is what this board is here for. I think it is great to talk through your withdrawals. It is a good way to develop a strong mindset.

Most people would say that smoking every once in a while or once a week is not really possible. It is to do with your neurochemistry, but once those dopamine receptors are open, it is very hard, if not impossible to keep it at a level. It always seems to creep back in, because your dopamine receptors demand to be fed.

Although that might be a tough pill to swallow, I recognise your thinking. I tried to achieve that myself. It didn't work, but I tried, and then I quit completely and realised that life is a million times better without any weed whatsoever, and all the benefits of being quit more than make up for the fact that I do not smoke occasionally, or at all!

The biggest thing I learnt is that quitting weed is a process, so I would encourage you to keep writing and processing your thoughts, and learn more about yourself and what you value.

Good to hear that you are getting some sleep. Keep going!!

Cheers,
    Alice
    Last edited by Alice; 10-04-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Iím ashamed to say I caved in on 3rd day. I got very irritable and panicky and just caved in very disappointed/frustrated with myself how this herb has got a hold on me and controlling my life! Iím now trying a different way rather than quitting Cold turkey Iím cutting down to one a night then next week from Monday go to 0, I hope it makes it a bit easier this way.
    Last edited by Thisisme373; 10-09-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Too add more

Hi thisisme,

Although I can hear that you are disappointed in yourself, I hope that you will take solace in the fact that you are actually so much closer to your goal than you think.

As far as I know this game is all about mindset. When you are really sure that quitting is what you want, and you have made consistent attempts to quit, you will have a toolbox of strategies that work for you. You are unbeatable. Writing here, only strengthens you further.

Good luck with the tapering experiment. That is what worked best for me. I went down to only smoking after 5 pm for quite a long time, then to skipping days, and then to quitting completely. It worked for me, but you need commitment to stay at the new level.

You are doing a great job! Experimenting with different ways to quit is the start of a successful process. You will be able to do this!

Cheers,
    Alice

Thank you so much Alice for your support it really does help big time.
    Everything stressful in life seems to be happening whilst Iím trying to quit, Iím out of work so I feel lethargic, unproductive, Iím also having problems with my gf as I found out she told her work colleagues at a job that sheís been there now 4 months that sheís single!! Obviously up to something, why would she do that? Weíve been together 4 years and she saying she loves me but that seems very suspicious... I donít know if I can quit whilst going through a break up so Iíve brushed it under the rug for now but I feel deeply hurt, Iíve put on a bit of weight too, my self esteem is at rock bottom 😔

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Governmentís FREE SAMHSAís National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Hi Thisisme,

Yes, it can be a vicious cycle and I remember that rock bottom self esteem that you talk of. It can be disappointing when you set out to achieve your quit and don't manage to pull it off.

I also remember the excuses and the fact that it never seems to be the right time. I think it would be good if you could do something small towards your quit, just to keep it active in your mind. Could you put off smoking until after 5 pm? Or something like that? Alternatively, you could consider getting some counselling. If you can find an ACT therapist, they are the best, especially for drug addiction.

It does sound like you are in a tricky situation with your girlfriend. I hope that sorts itself out. When I quit I found my relationships improved, because I could connect with people better. Also, my emotions became so much more balanced, so things didn't upset me as much as they did when I was smoking.

Do what you can, and good luck! Check in anytime! We are here to support you.

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice I only smoke on evenings anyway but I want to stop, Iíve cut down to two a night but my emotions are all over the place still.
    I definitely know what you mean about dealing with things worse when your in routine of smoking each day, even when not stoned I feel so sad so emotional.
    Tbh I do not trust my girlfriend now but I donít want to be alone while going through quitting, tbh I plan on leaving her when Iím in more stable mentality as sheís really hurt me and disrespected me, sheís obviously trying to keep her options open saying sheís single. from Monday Iím gonna have no weed until Saturday then try do once a week on Saturdays if itís still bad after that I may have to just quit it completely because I canít go on like this I feel like a nervous wreck, I want to feel more stable or even a bit happier. My life feels like hell right now 😣
    Last edited by Thisisme373; 10-12-2017 at 07:33 PM.

hi Thisisme,

I am so sorry that you feel so crappy at the moment. Things will get better. I think that cutting back on the cannabis might help.

Your girlfriend sounds like she is not worth your time.

Sending you the very best wishes for some improvement soon. You might want to consider supplementing magnesium - Bioceuticals MuscleEze is very good. It will take some time, for the effects to really kick in, but magnesium can be very calming.

Good luck! I think if you take small steps you will get there.

Kindly,
    Alice

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising