+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Day 1

Default Day 1

Hello all.

My smoking is out of control, from morning until bedtime for half a year now. I've been wanting to quit for the past couple of months, but every time I get to day 2 the cravings get the best of me and I justify it by saying I will surely cut down after this one. I am behind with work and life in general, my mental and physical health are deteriorating, and the high costs of my habit are around £300 per month.

After caving in yet again several days ago I decided the only way forward was to delete my dealers phone number, they are my only contact so forcing sobriety seemed like the best option. It turns out that because the number is synced with Google contacts I am able to restore deleted numbers up to 30 days after doing so. Which means I HAVE to go 30 days before losing that number forever, which sucks as I'm going to have to live with that temptation, knowing that I can have cannabis delivered to my door at any given moment if I wanted. But I am determined to follow through and commit to sobriety.

This forum is really helpful, it's nice to know i'm not alone .

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

hi Quit2018,

How is it going? I remember that whirlwind of temptation and cravings well. I also used to think that maybe I could reduce my use, but the way our brains work, I am not sure it is as easy as we believe. Smoking cannabis creates dopamine receptors in our brains and when we stop, these demand to get fed and to get fed the SAME AMOUNT, as before. I am pretty sure that is why withdrawal can feel so awful, and also why we can't just have one smoke after quitting. The receptors all open up again, awakened by the chuff, and then demand to get fed the SAME AMOUNT again.

Saying that, I did have some success in reducing my use as a pathway to quitting completely. When I first started smoking habitually, I was smoking all day every day. It took a stay in a hospital to reduce my use to zero, but after this I was able to reduce my smoking to after 5 pm. Then I started cutting out days and then about two years later, I quit completely. Cutting back and then quitting helped a lot with the withdrawal effects. It doesn't work for everyone though, because many people can't hold the use at the new level, and that is the nature of addiction.

I can also relate to the idea that you need to get rid of your dealers number or any kind of temptation. I actually think that if you really want to quit, you will do it, while the temptation is there. Although, obviously it will be so much easier if you don't have any weed in your house. I quit cigarettes three years ago and I always could have gone to the shops to buy a packet. I joined a forum and continually reinforced my mindset and my commitment to quitting. I am pretty sure that was my success. It is hard to justify going out and buying some of the addictive substance if you have just been supporting other people to stay quit.

It can feel like a huge merry go round, especially when you are just starting out, but I would encourage you to try. Every time that you attempt to quit, you will learn a bit more about yourself and your addiction. One day you will roll a six, and learning what WORKS for you, is absolutely the best way to make sure that you succeed.

I have this whole tool box of tricks that worked for me when I was quitting. It was really handy.

Good luck and cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice , thank you for your reply.

I don't feel that bad right now, but it's only been about 24 hours since my last smoke and this is my first full day. Last year I finally kicked my codeine addiction and that was hellish, so I do know that I have the power in me to stop this too. Like you said, if I really want quit I can do it, dealers number or not. This is the road I'm on now so I won't dwell on having to wait 30 days to cement my choice, instead I'm going to focus on taking it one hour/day at a time. From previous experience my symptoms are usually intense cravings, loss of appetite, body aches and slight insomnia, though oddly enough once I do fall asleep I can easily have 12 hour sessions in bed. I'm making to sure to drink plenty of water/tea and still eat, I'm going to start taking short walks every day and try and get some exercise, something which I've truthfully been lacking.

I will keep coming back and reading about other peoples experiences and will update this thread if and when I feel the need to.

Take care .
    Last edited by Quit2018; 01-11-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I can't spell good.

Default Day 2

I made it to day 2, but only managed to get 3 hours of sleep. I feel absolutely awful mentally, my body feels ill and slightly achy all over, and I am feeling listless. At least I don't have any cravings as of yet. Reading this forum has helped solidify my decision to quit and has given me more determination to fight the cravings when they do come.

hi Quit2018,

I am sorry that you felt so crappy this morning. Are you in Australia?

Please take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. You are going through a rough patch, so I hope that you will nourish your body and soul as much as possible. It might be a nice warm shower, or resting during the day, or relaxing with a book or a movie. Whatever you choose, be nice to yourself during this difficult time. There are a lot of non cannabis related ways to take care of yourself.

I know exactly what you mean about reading people's stories can be so incredibly motivating. I found the same thing, especially with cigarette cessation, but with cannabis too.

Check in any time. You will always be welcome here.

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi again Alice.

I'm from Nottingham in the UK. My sleep schedule has gone out of the window, so I might as well be a Aussie with the hours I'm keeping .

For 12 hours or so today I was in the state described previously, feeling a lot of emotions, but that is a good thing in some ways as on weed I only ever felt anxiety, guilt, anger and the illusion of satisfaction. I look forward to feeling my emotions with a clear state of mind and body. The past few hours I've managed to mellow out slightly, I had a walk and a nice hot shower, but not much else has been achieved, just plenty of water, tea, and making sure to eat meals. I've been watching a lot of AGDQ (a video gaming charity stream). I treated myself to a sugar-free energy drink and feel a little hyperactive right now .

Still no cravings, which is odd, it has got to be down to this forum and and the fire it has lit under my butt. Every other day 2 recently I was craving mad and I caved in each time. This feels different.

Congratulations on quitting tobacco and cannabis. Shockingly enough I've been down the tobacco road before , but I manged to stop that a few years back.

Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Hello fellow Brit.

*waves enthusiastically*

Congratulations on reaching day 2. :-)

Hey Quit2018,

No worries. It is good to hear that the forum is working and that you feel motivated. It also sounds as though you are taking care of yourself. It is great!!

Thankfully you have the weekend coming up, so lack of sleep may not matter so much. I am not sure about the timeline for getting sleep back into order, but for me the nightmares and sleep disturbances were one of the last things to resolve. I think they estimate about 7 weeks, usually.

Good to hear that you quit cigarettes. I quit cigarettes about a year before cannabis, and it was helpful because it gave me some great skills for doing the same thing with cannabis. I felt more in control of my life and more able to quit cannabis.

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Hope that you get a little more sleep tonight.

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Sunshine *waves back* thank you. Nice to meet you.

I managed about 8 hours sleep today, but I was tossing and turning a lot, but somehow feel well rested. Still, it's an improvement on yesterday. I am going to stay awake until this evening (currently midnight) and reset my schedule.

I feel awful physically, but much better mentally. I guess this is the weed slowly leaving my system?

Have a great weekend

Default Day 4

I made it to day 4. My dreams are vivid and I seemed to sleep better overall. Still feeling rather unwell and listless, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope the worst is over now and I look forward to a more productive week ahead.

I have "saved" £40 already by quitting. I plan to get a running machine at some point with the money that otherwise would have been wasted.

Take care all <3.

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising