+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If at first you don't succeed.....

Default If at first you don't succeed.....

Hi All

I am a first time blogger to this site but have been reading through previous posts over the last month or so. So much here resonates with my life long relationship with cannabis. I am so impressed with your courage and the support that you show for one and other.

So here I am taking the plunge! its a long story and not one that can be shared instantly.

My first experience with cannabis was at the grand old age of 14. A turbulent childhood and a need to escape from day to day worries. Lets just say it was, for a long while, a match made in heaven.

Anyway I'm here in the search of some support with people I believe can relate to my battle. I'm also here to offer support. I have a lot of experience and a caring soul.

So being the new year I set the date for the 1st of January. Original heh!

Obviously I have quit many times before (this is a 30 year on/off relationship). There is a significant difference this time round. For the first time ever I feel that my subconscious mind is fully on board. This is a huge mental shift for me.

Anyway just wanted to be brave and say hello. I won't list the endless side effects involved....you all know what that entails!

Andie (short for Andrea....I've noticed its not always easy to identify gender in these posts!) x

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

Hi Andie,

Nice to meet you. I hope that you will get a lot out of our group.

It is great to hear that you have started your quit and that your subconscious is on board. I kind of know what you mean by that. There comes a time when it just clicks.

Please feel to write about your withdrawal symptoms if it helps. Everyone is different and experiences this journey differently, so don't feel as though we have heard it all before!

I found that having somewhere to write out the craves and to get into the right mindset, can be so incredibly helpful. Best wishes for your success!!

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice

Thanks for replying.

As I am someone who has quit many times before, the withdrawal symptoms are very well rehearsed! They aren't great, and obviously cause so many of us to relapse.

This time I am doing things slightly differently. I have a friend who successfully quit cannabis under the guidance of a drugs counsellor and am following his plan.

This time around its planned....not a reaction to some kind of crisis that I'm experiencing!!

There is some evening micro dosing (3 very small vapes) allowed. Reducing over a 6 week period, in two week blocks. For me, complete withdrawal is not an option. Its just too much of a shock to the system.

The evening doses are so small, so there is no high. As you know, when you quit your brain screams out for something to sooth it. Micro dosing is definatly a medicinal approach. So I'm neither stoned or not stoned, if that makes sense! Maybe the middle ground is where my brain needs to be?

So by Sunday I'll be in phase 2, reducing to 2 small vapes per evening for a further two weeks.

I really like this plan and am optimistic about it. I'm also glad that drugs counsellors are taking cannabis withdrawal seriously. THC content is so high these days and is going to cause more and more issues. I am pro medicinal cannabis, but that's a whole other story.

Anyway it is a long road to travel for sure.

How are you Alice? I have had a look back at some of your threads, you have come a long way! From the cravings and angst to being here supporting the newbies. I think that is the true philosophy of recovery.

Thanks

Andie

Hi Andie,

Best of luck with your quit attempt and welcome to the forum.

The micro dosing sounds interesting. May I ask what part of the world you hail from?

Xx

Hi Sunshine

Nice to hear from you. I'm originally from London, though now live in Kent. Yourself?

The micro dose plan is going well....12 days in. Its not an easy fix and still suffering the usual withdrawal effects, just with some of the edge taken off. I'm quitting tobacco at the same time....the two tend to go together for me.

Always harder at the weekends!

Andie

Hi Andie,

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

I am so happy to hear both that you are getting some help from a drugs counsellor and that you are micro dosing. I found that a similar strategy worked for me so well, but I think that it has a much better chance of success if you are getting support and getting monitored.

I was seeing a great ACT psychologist when I quit and I reduced from all day to after five, then skipped days then stopped. It did reduce the withdrawal effects significantly. Although, it sounds like you are aware that you will still get some withdrawal effects. I believe that they are nothing that you can't handle. Especially if you are committed to your goal of being drug free.

Good luck and let us know how you are going!

I am good thanks. Having a chilled Saturday morning in Australia. It is definitely nice to have all of the withdrawal and the angst behind me!! Lucky!!

Cheers,
    Alice

Hi Alice

Things are going well, just hoping for a good nights sleep. At the moment, I think its the hardest part of the day. I had a good swim and sauna today, now burning some lavender oil in the hope of calming down my thoughts.

Yes you are lucky! But you did put in the hard work, so well deserved. I look forward to being free. It's a much more productive, positive way of life. Smoking has become such hard work.

The dreaded withdrawal symptoms!! Yes they are in full effect, but definitely dampened by the tapering plan. Glad to hear this method worked for you. It's a lot to ask of our brains to just automatically withdraw from cannabis.

Enjoy a chilled morning....and the sunshine I'm sure!

Andie

Hi Andie,

I'm in South Wales (not too far from Cardiff).

How did you go about getting help via a drugs counsellor? Was it via your GP/NHS or separate drug rehab service?

Have never heard about the micro dosing and genuinely interested. Sadly we don't seem to do so well out of the Welsh NHS, which is like a shitty franchise version of the English NHS. Less money per person compared to England and fewer services available/longer waiting times (I lived in England for 10 years and moved back to Wales a few years ago; the difference is noticable). The Welsh Assembly really screwed us over with that deal :-/
    Last edited by Sunshine; 01-13-2018 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Typos

Hi Sunshine

Nice neck of the woods.

I think our NHS is going the same way really. I'm using a service called Addaction. Ironically I used to refer young people to them when I was involved in homeless work.

There isn't really a blueprint, as yet, for micro dosing. I think its more of a logical approach. An alcoholic / heroin addict can't just stop (if they did it would be medically controlled and in rehab) because the withdrawals are so dangerous. I'm not putting cannabis into the same category, but when we withdraw our brain does react, and we do have both psychological and physiological symptoms. You only have to read a few posts on this site to evidence that!

So I self referred and am seeing a guy once a week for 6 weeks (that's why I chose the timescale). Its not in depth counselling, I don't need that. Its practical support.

We came up with the plan together and I record each day on a wall chart. I can only micro dose in the evening, no earlier than 8pm and no later than 11pm. There has to be rules, otherwise....well you know! It does take a lot of discipline. Last night I was awake till 4am and was tempted, but I'm sticking to the plan.

I don't think you have this service in Wales, but there maybe other agencies.

How are you doing currently?

Andie

Hi Andie,

Sounds like a fab service and a great strategy you have going for your quit.

I'm doing fairly well but still pretty early days in the grand scheme of quitting. I had a minor blip 3 weeks into my quit but that was just over a week ago and things have been going well since. Still have the odd craving which is difficult at the time but realistically they only last lay a minute or so, just seem a lot longer when your brain is telling you it's ok just this once.

Best of luck with your quit. Xx

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising