+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't sleep anxiety depression insomnia

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Can't sleep anxiety depression insomnia

I am 16 years old and first used weed when I was 14 but did not do it very much during that time, for about 11 months and for the last 6 months or so was using almost every day if not every day. I have grown up with a lot of depression because the loss of my mother and then had ended up having a very toxic step mom for multiple years, (now divorced). I never had anxiety growing up but ended up getting it from smoking weed. I had multiple panic attacks and initially stopped because of it. During this time I had no withdrawal symptoms. I ended up picking up weed again because most of my friends were heavy users. I never realised I had a dependancy on it but I was still using it almost everyday. It got to the point of where I would get anxiety everytime I would smoke but I would smoke anyways. It got to a point where I told myself I am no longer going to smoke weed and that decision is final. I quit on Febuary 10 cold turkey, I endured the worst weeks of my life after this. I was having vivid dreams every night, nightmares on occaision, intense mood swings, very bad anxiety, would wake up with a horrible feeling of anxiety when I would wake up in the morning after having a bad dream, there were maybe 3 occaisions where I would throw up in the morning after the dreams. After about 28 ish days I sort of felt better on the physical sides of withdrawal such as body aches and headaches. Now I am 38 days in still with constant anxiety which I am currently seeing a therapist for, constant negative thoughts and depressive mood swings of no hope to then feeling really good. I started on sunday running every day 2 miles each day at around a 12 minute mile pace and did 3 miles today. Though now my anxiety is not letting me go to bed because I have shortness of breath and have am not tired after have been trying to go to sleep since 10pm, it is now 4:22 am. I am having this bad feeling in my stomach and having body shakes and I just want it to end, I am very hopeless and know that I made a horrible decision to use weed sort of to cope with my emotions. I really hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, I just want to be anxiety free and depression free.

•    Sponsored Offer - Cannitrol

Quit Marijuana with Cannitrol

cannitrol

The first thing that I would say is that you are doing all the right things Unregistered. Even though those first 38 days were hell, you have done them, and you don't have to go back to that. There are other stories of people who had awful symptoms early on in their quit, but these did improve a LOT when they stuck with it. You might find that reading other people's quit stories distracts you from your anxiety and can help your mindset as well.

The other great thing that you are doing is seeing a therapist. This will help you a great deal and is one of the biggest foundations of your success.

Anxiety is caused by over breathing, or breathing too fast and too shallow, so one thing that you can do right now to calm your anxiety is to do some breathing exercises. If you breathe in slowly for a count of four, hold for a count of four and then exhale for a count of four, and do that 20 times, you should find that your anxiety reduces a lot.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. If you stick with this, as I think you have the strength to do, then I know you will find the other side!
    Let us know how you go :-)
    Alice

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Canít sleep anxiety depression insomnia follow up

I have completely changed my diet and just picked up some omega-3 fish oil supplements and melatonin for those nights when I canít fall asleep. Iíve also read online that green tea and orange juice could also help with anxiety so I went and got some decaf green tea and some orange juice. Iím trying to stick with it and iím hoping the vivid dreams start to slow down soon. Thatís what makes it so hard for me to fall asleep, every time I lay in the quiet my mind just wants to think about all of the bad dreams that I have had and just wonít let me forget them. Iím trying to stay strong and I will stay posted on my recovery. I am going to register an account on here.

Hello Alice, I registered an account on here so I can come back and continue to post updates on my progress. I am making changes to my diet and I am going on daily runs each over 2 miles with the goal of losing some of this fat. I am 5'11 163 pounds right now and was around 170ish when I first decided to quit. I went to the store and picked up some decaf green tea to brew, orange juice, and some omega-3 fatty acid fish oil supplements. I read online that these can help with the anxiety. I also got some melatonin for the nights where I can't sleep. I will continue to give updates and will hopefully see improvements in this next month and so on. Because living with anxiety is hell and reading other peoples stories has helped me cope with it for some parts of the day. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't find this website... I have also tried meditation with the app Headspace on my phone to help me get a grip on myself. I am trying to take this one day at a time and keep my head high... ironically I would rather be anything but "high" right now LOL. I'm just going to ride the rollercoaster I guess and plan on never using weed again.
    Mitchell

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Governmentís FREE SAMHSAís National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Default taming the amygdala for anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have completely changed my diet and just picked up some omega-3 fish oil supplements and melatonin for those nights when I canít fall asleep. Iíve also read online that green tea and orange juice could also help with anxiety so I went and got some decaf green tea and some orange juice. Iím trying to stick with it and iím hoping the vivid dreams start to slow down soon. Thatís what makes it so hard for me to fall asleep, every time I lay in the quiet my mind just wants to think about all of the bad dreams that I have had and just wonít let me forget them. Iím trying to stay strong and I will stay posted on my recovery. I am going to register an account on here.
    Hi Mitchell,
    I can completely relate to your experience of laying down and your mind starting to get active and tie itself in knots. It happens to me sometimes, and as far as I am aware, this is because our amygdala is switched on and active. The amygdala is a small part of your brain that regulates anxiety, and when it is switched on, we get into fight, flight or freeze zone, or as you have noted - this ruminating before sleep.

I have two suggestions for helping with this. One is this course that I found for teens, which only goes for 50 minutes, but helps you to learn how to calm your amygdala. I think iy would be very helpful for you: https://outschool.com/classes/elimin...2yd#usoj1fZxEx
    And the other is those breathing exercises. If you find your brain starting to race before sleep, then that is a good time to do the deep breathing exercises. Headspace is a great app and it will help you a lot, so you could try that as an alternative. It will really help you.

It is so good to hear you say 'you are just going to ride this rollercoaster and not smoke weed again'. These are fantastic skills to learn and will set you up for life. I must say, I am so happy for you that you are learning this now, when you are 16. I am excited that you are doing Headspace and quitting weed now. I wasted so many years of my life dabbling with weed. The earlier you learn these skills the more of your life you can life in a present and positive state of mind. I am so happy for you!

I can hear that it is not at all easy for you right now, but you are right to just watch the craziness unfold in your mind, beneath your observing self and not get too involved in it. That is where the headspace app will help a lot.

Although a good diet is very beneficial and helpful, I would be careful going on fad diets, or trying fad supplements, especially at this stage of your recovery. Things like melatonin and green tea can be good and they are probably not too harmful, but supplements can have unexpected effects on your brain and body chemistry. At this point in your recovery, I think that BALANCE is the most important thing of all. Try to eat decent amounts of protein, to keep you full and also, try to eat regularly and keep your blood sugar levels up, as falling blood sugar levels can really make you crave cannabis a lot.
    If you are drinking lots of water and your diet is pretty balanced, with lots of vegetables and lots of proteins, you probably won't need supplements.

Hang in there Mitchell!! It will definitely get easier with time!
    And check in whenever you need to, especially if you find it helps!
    Cheers,
    Alice :-)

Default Update on my recovery

I am currently on day 54, I was prescribed fluoxetine for depression and I don't think I should be taking it, because it can possibly have effects on dreams which are one of my main symptoms of the weed withdrawal. I've been taking it in 10mg doses in the morning for 2 weeks and the depression is not an issue anymore but I still have anxiety but just not as bad as it was this last month. I think I should not be using the anti depressants because they can have their own withdrawal symptoms as well. I still have vivid dreams pretty much every night but they are not as unpleasant as what they were in February and March. I am still running pretty much 5 days a week and eating healthy. My insomnia is not as bad but it is still a bit of an issue to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the entire night. I have found that I finally have an apetite for food, but this might be because of the anti depressants. I really do think that I should be facing these problems head on and not with the use of anti depressants because they might just supress the depression temporarily. I am just ready for these months to go by and move on from living with drugs. I have accepted the fact that I made a mistake by smoking this seemingly unharmful plant so much, but it makes me feel a little bit better knowing that I am already almost 2 months past the initial withdrawal, which were possibly the worst weeks of my life. Just trying to stay positive and learn from my mistakes and make sure to make the right choices in the future. This has been one hell of a roller coaster if i've ever ridden one. I'll stay posted on these months to come, and will hopefully see great improvements....

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell,

If you are not comfortable taking the anti depressant then maybe you should talk to your doctor about stopping. 54 days is a good chunk of time but it can take much longer to recover from cannabis withdrawal. It is incremetal. It took me a good six months to get to a place that I felt decent. And after another 6 months I felt even better. I know that seems like a long time, and it is. But it's really worth it.

Hang in there!
    John

I do understand that this can be a very long process of recovery. Today was a good day as the ruminating and anxious thoughts were more manageable. I tend to remember my dreams a lot throughout the day, and then I have been just been having random moments where I would remember a memory from years ago. 56 days and counting, running seems to lift my mood and I need to shed a few pounds anyway so it has become a habit that I do almost every day. And from what I have heard thc is stored in fat cells. Also, I'm just wondering how long has it been since you quit?

Excercise helped me a lot! I still am exercising and enjoying it.

I have had random long term memories pop up as well. And I dream a fair amout now.
    Glad to hear you had a good day. It really is all about 1 day at a time. I stopped using as of January 1, 2018, so 1 year and 3 and a half months. I am so happy to be where I am and you can totally be here too. I smoked for about 20 years pretty regularly.

60 days in and my anxiety was the best that it has been since I quit, I came to some realizations and totally changed my perspective on this entire thing. I realized that this was all a learning experience and that I needed to make some changes to my life for the better. I know that I have made it through the worst and it is the hard times that shape us into who we are. You don't realize how valuable things are until they are gone, we tend to take things for granted. Try to look at these things in a positive way and see the glass half full. I am ready for this to all be over so I can get a grasp on my life and live it to my fullest potential. Will most definitely learn from my mistakes and attempt to avoid any future mistakes. I wish everybody the best of luck in their withdrawals/recovery and just know that you are not alone.

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising