+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does cannabis withdrawal last

Default How long does cannabis withdrawal last

I have been addicted to drugs in one form or another since age 14. I am now 45. Age 14-17 I used cannabis, amphetamineso. Ltd. Mdma. I then went onto heroin and crack cocaine at 17-26. I came off heroine at 26 and started again by doing a degree. During this period 26-29 I became addicted to alcohol as it went with the university lifestyle, i.e partying etc. I then stopped this and went back to cannabis use, which I did every single day (quite heavily most days) for 16 years straight.
    I decided to quit on 1st Jan 2020 and I am now on day 26 without using. I have not used anything to help with withdrawal i.e sleeping tablets alcohol etc and have done it completely cold turkey.
    Days 1-7 I experienced extreme loss of appetite, poor sleep and mood swings. Days 7-14 these symptoms subsided and my appetite came back with a vengeance. My sleep settled and I thought great I'm over the worst. Not quite! Days 15 upto today day 26 I am experiencing extreme vivid dreams and really bad night sweats. I am waking up 4 am every morning soaked in sweat. I have tried managing this by leaving window open. Light bedding etc but isnt helping at all.
    My Q.. how long is this likely to go on for and have other quitters experienced anything similar??
    To those who are only just quitting i.e. days 1-7. Do not let this put you off. The rewarday are well worth the sweating! In the day time I feel amazing. Confident, happy, proud, more sociable, financillary the difference is huge! There are lots of positives. I have only craved smoking once around day 15 and this passed after an hour which tells me I'd had enough. This is the longest I have gone without drugs or alcohol in 30 years and it feels good. But these night sweats are concerning..how long are they likely to last?
    Any comments welcome and good luck people. May the force be with you (:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I have been addicted to drugs in one form or another since age 14. I am now 45. Age 14-17 I used cannabis, amphetamineso. Ltd. Mdma. I then went onto heroin and crack cocaine at 17-26. I came off heroine at 26 and started again by doing a degree. During this period 26-29 I became addicted to alcohol as it went with the university lifestyle, i.e partying etc. I then stopped this and went back to cannabis use, which I did every single day (quite heavily most days) for 16 years straight.
    I decided to quit on 1st Jan 2020 and I am now on day 26 without using. I have not used anything to help with withdrawal i.e sleeping tablets alcohol etc and have done it completely cold turkey.
    Days 1-7 I experienced extreme loss of appetite, poor sleep and mood swings. Days 7-14 these symptoms subsided and my appetite came back with a vengeance. My sleep settled and I thought great I'm over the worst. Not quite! Days 15 upto today day 26 I am experiencing extreme vivid dreams and really bad night sweats. I am waking up 4 am every morning soaked in sweat. I have tried managing this by leaving window open. Light bedding etc but isnt helping at all.
    My Q.. how long is this likely to go on for and have other quitters experienced anything similar??
    To those who are only just quitting i.e. days 1-7. Do not let this put you off. The rewarday are well worth the sweating! In the day time I feel amazing. Confident, happy, proud, more sociable, financillary the difference is huge! There are lots of positives. I have only craved smoking once around day 15 and this passed after an hour which tells me I'd had enough. This is the longest I have gone without drugs or alcohol in 30 years and it feels good. But these night sweats are concerning..how long are they likely to last?
    Any comments welcome and good luck people. May the force be with you (:
    Hi Ray

That is quite a story! You must feel so great to be substance free.

I used cannabis off and on from about 14 years old until about 32. Nowhere near any kind of habit. I did it recreationally and would go for long periods of time without using at all. But then around 32 I started using it more frequently. And basically ended up getting high most days for about 20 years, with a year and half break at about year 16. I loved being high.

But then I began to feel uneasy. Tired all the time and it seems like I was becoming really stupid. Extra forgetfull and sort of having wierd visions. For instance sometimes while driving I would look at an oncoming car and just visulaize it crashing into me head on. It was sort of disturbing. I also developed some anxiety and sleep problems.

So I quit cold turkey 2 years ago, January 1 2018. I had some of the symptoms you describe. I did not have the night sweats though. But so many people on here talk about having them. Seems like they eventually go away but could take some time. It sounds awful.

I will say that the process was definitely a roller coaster ride for me. Just when a symptom you are struggling with goes away, another one appears. It gets better progressively. I think around the 3 month mark I was over with many of the symptoms. Insomnia was my biggest lingering problem. I actually still have sleep issues. Not really sure if it's due to the cannabis use at this point or something else. Perhaps a little depression.

But I will say that I feel much better overall without cannabis. Working out regularly helped me quite a bit. I occasionally miss being high. But it is just not worth possibly going back to the terrible condition I was in when I quit.

Hang in there. Sounds like you've kicked a lot worse in your past.

John

I had really bad night sweats but they gradually diminished. By month 3 or 4 they pretty much stopped. Theres really nothing i found in my experience that lessened their intensity. For me they went hand in hand with the insomnia. As the insomnia improves so do the night sweats. Congrats on a month!

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default My weed withdrawal story.

Tuesday April 28th was the last day I smoked weed. I've been sober from weed for 13 days when I wake up on Monday may 11th. I've only had a couple drinks in between these days but other than that, I have not had a craving to get high, or get drunk. Drinking is another story for me. It does not belong in my stomach anymore. It just can't take it. The abuse I've done already which isn't even much, but to me, there's no point in getting hammered like that anymore. Back to the weed.. I took 12 days 2 years ago and I broke it. I was still that fiend. This time around is extreamly easier because I was smoking way to much and it wasn't doing any good for me. How was it the first few days? My temp was fluctuating up and down, I was irritable for the first few days. Getting ticked off at stupid shit, slamming my controller down while playing games, getting mad over little shit. It didn't last long though. It was only a couple days I had a couple out bursts but other than that. I feel awesome. I only had a couple cold sweat wake up's because that's just my body going into some weed withdrawal. That's normal. Last time I was waking up literally soaked and frozen like I jumped out of a cold shower straight into my bed with the covers on me. What a ****in negative experience that was. You feel extreamly defeated as a man when you're in that state. Especially if you smoked as much as I was and then cutting it completely off. It's Gonna be shock to the system. This time around, it was a light glaze, and I could go back to sleep. Those other nights, 2 years ago (and fyi. The last break I took before 2 years ago, was maybe 5 or 6 and it was for a few days. I've been smoking heavy for over 10-11 years) I would have to get up, frozen and shaking, and walk to the bathroom, and the wind that blew over me from simply walking was unbearablely cold by the time I got in the shower to turn the water on, I was trembling like a crack addict with hyperthernoia. Felt like it anyways. Then I'd have a hot ass shower untill the hot water turned cold. But this time around it was 2 nights I woke up and it was nothing near those other nights. I simply just fell back asleep and that was that. None of that "splashing my face with my chest sweat" type shit. It was not good man... But What have i noticed positively? I'm generally in a Better mood, I don't have anxiety anymore.... as much, my appitte is coming back properly I'm eating damn good everyday, I'm not procrastinating anymore, my mind isn't foggy, my short term isn't as bad, my long term will always be insanely vivid, but the short term shit was pissing me off Becuase I would forget wtf I'm saying as I'm saying it. I find myself being able to focus on a task and not be overwhelmed and want to do 50 things at once. Sure being off the weed for the first few days sparked my energy and I was wide away for 2 days, my brain activity slowed down a bit overall and I can sit down and watch a tv show without stopping it half way to play a game then 5 mins later do somthing else. I feel like I'm returning normal again. I've had a love hate relationship with weed for over 11 years. Now that I'm finally out of that loop I don't even think I wanna start back up again. I wanna see how far I can go.
    I feel so much better. I Havnt had a single craving to take a puff or anything, especially with a roommate that smokes Aswell. I've also noticed my senses have increased. I can smell weed from miles away it seems. But still, I don't crave the puff. My body does tho, but I personally don't. It's a weird feeling to describe. But writing this out is making me want to continue and be better with myself. I had my fun with weed, I was not efficient and didn't motivate me to do anything. I'd pick somthing up like start creating a beat. Then I would just instantly have regrets and just say **** it and delete it and stare at the wall day dreaming about negativity. Bad time.. I feel so clear minded now, and my mind isn't racking itself to find somthing to worry about or overthink about stupid shit. What's the ****in point of that. This shit hits everyone differently, but my God, I literally feel like a new me. I don't need to get high to chill with friends. If they wanna smoke, then so be it. It won't bother me. I feel In control for the first time. I picked up my ****in guitar up and I'm learning a new song. I Havnt done that in over 7 years. I've been playing the same little riffs and I never had the motivation or patience or focus to learn some new shit. And it isn't just any song, stairway to heaven isn't the easiest song in the world. But I'm gonna master that shit. I got the intro almost down pat. I feel so good lately. Why stop. Sounds like a story of someone coming off a much worse drug, but the fact is, this shit affected me in alot of negative ways more than positive. I feel like a new me man it's insane. May as well continue. Its easier on the bank, and the mind. Again, I feel so good lately it's stupid.

Day 13.

On 14 now.

Unregistered Cannabis Rehab Guest

Default Thanks folks

OK. First time ever really opening up about this... First off, your stories are so inspiring to me (on day 4). I'm 34 and have been smoking heavily since I was 17. Up until recently a 1g cape pen from a dispensary was lasting about 1.5-2 days on top of the flower I smoked and tinctures for sleeping. Pens get me through the day. I'm 100% high all the time- no off time. The first 3 days were hell. Day 1, I was super hungover- and still high- from 90mg of thc from a tincture. I went on a bike ride with a friend and ended up puking halfway through. That would not have happened had I smoked before the ride.

I'm not your "stereotypical" stoner. I'm super active and have done ultramarathons and 150+ mile bike rides. But it was all with the support of weed. Every couple hours I'd stop, rip a bowl or 3 and keep moving. Yesterday I had to limp home after being utterly destroyed after 45 minutes. Shivering because I was so overheated and dehydrated.

Today I decided to take it easy. So I walked 10 blocks to and from the grocery store. When I got home, my hair and clothes were SOAKED in sweat! Obviously I've been getting night sweats these last couple nights. But when youre casually strolling and gushing sweat on a 68 degree day, you realize just how much this shit affects your body.

I read that cranberry juice is good for detoxing so I picked up the super expensive "real" stuff... over $10 a bottle. Sheesh. Good news is, I feel a little more peppy today. Aside from those 2 bike rides, I basically just spent days 1-3 laying in bed. I felt so sick. Feet and hands were cold and sweaty. And I felt like every cell in my body was vibrating.

Today was the first day that I feel like more light is entering my eyes. I want to say the fog is beginning to lift, but don't want to get ahead of myself. I've got a long road ahead. I've been here before. Can't turn back this time

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    OK. First time ever really opening up about this... First off, your stories are so inspiring to me (on day 4). I'm 34 and have been smoking heavily since I was 17. Up until recently a 1g cape pen from a dispensary was lasting about 1.5-2 days on top of the flower I smoked and tinctures for sleeping. Pens get me through the day. I'm 100% high all the time- no off time. The first 3 days were hell. Day 1, I was super hungover- and still high- from 90mg of thc from a tincture. I went on a bike ride with a friend and ended up puking halfway through. That would not have happened had I smoked before the ride.

I'm not your "stereotypical" stoner. I'm super active and have done ultramarathons and 150+ mile bike rides. But it was all with the support of weed. Every couple hours I'd stop, rip a bowl or 3 and keep moving. Yesterday I had to limp home after being utterly destroyed after 45 minutes. Shivering because I was so overheated and dehydrated.

Today I decided to take it easy. So I walked 10 blocks to and from the grocery store. When I got home, my hair and clothes were SOAKED in sweat! Obviously I've been getting night sweats these last couple nights. But when youre casually strolling and gushing sweat on a 68 degree day, you realize just how much this shit affects your body.

I read that cranberry juice is good for detoxing so I picked up the super expensive "real" stuff... over $10 a bottle. Sheesh. Good news is, I feel a little more peppy today. Aside from those 2 bike rides, I basically just spent days 1-3 laying in bed. I felt so sick. Feet and hands were cold and sweaty. And I felt like every cell in my body was vibrating.

Today was the first day that I feel like more light is entering my eyes. I want to say the fog is beginning to lift, but don't want to get ahead of myself. I've got a long road ahead. I've been here before. Can't turn back this time

Don't turn back!
    Your symptoms sound terrible but as I'm sure you know, not atypical. I love your line, "you realize just how much this shit affects your body." So true and kinda scary!

I am very happy to be cannabis free for 2 and half years after 20 years of daily use and a number of years of use before that. I loved being high and, while not quite AS active as you, I would get high and do stuff--bike rides, walks on the beach, in the woods, etc. Three or so years ago it turned on me. Anxiety and insomnia mostly. Withdrawal was a ***** and lasted for quite some time. But I feel so much better without it. I do miss it from time to time, but I am just not willing to trigger any of the withdrawal shit I went through by using it again. It's just not worth it.

Hang in there! You will feel much better with time!

John

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising