+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Day 51

Default Day 51

I am 57. Have smoked for more than 30 yrs. Have had six months clean a couple times. Shorter periods of time sober numerous times.
    I am not having the crazy and disturbing dreams as much. Still having sleep issues.
    Having ahedonia. my biggest issue is waking up to bad anxiety. my stomach and solar plexus give me a very unpleasant experience. Trying to breathe but not having success.
    Affects my appetite and mental well being.
    Feeling bad about myself. Keep having distressing thoughts. Going to dark places in my mind.
    Have been on meds but getting off due to worsening symptoms. Panic. worse anxiety.
    Anybody else experiencing similar symptoms?

I've tried to quit before, and I've had a few problems like you.
    It scared me and in the end I stopped trying to stop. But it was a mistake that I regret, I would have done better to continue and stay strong.
    I wish you success in staying sober. I think it's time for the body to adapt...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I am 57. Have smoked for more than 30 yrs. Have had six months clean a couple times. Shorter periods of time sober numerous times.
    I am not having the crazy and disturbing dreams as much. Still having sleep issues.
    Having ahedonia. my biggest issue is waking up to bad anxiety. my stomach and solar plexus give me a very unpleasant experience. Trying to breathe but not having success.
    Affects my appetite and mental well being.
    Feeling bad about myself. Keep having distressing thoughts. Going to dark places in my mind.
    Have been on meds but getting off due to worsening symptoms. Panic. worse anxiety.
    Anybody else experiencing similar symptoms?
    Hi Cliff
    Sounds like you are in a rough place. I am sorry to read about it.

Your problems do seem cannabis withdrawal related. Not sure what meds you are getting off, but I hope you are being counseled by your doctor.

You are just shy of 2 months cannabis-free. Not a long time in the big picture. It will take more time but typically the symptoms do go away. Try to keep your mind occupied/distracted with things.

Hang in there my friend. One day at a time.
    John

Hi Cliff,

I had many of those symptoms as well as others that you did not list! I went to some terrifying places on my mind too. With 24/7, extremely distressing thoughts that lasted months. I was still like this at day 51. Many of the mental symptoms came in the classic wave like occurrences. Extremely annoying and unsettling, but it's just a part of the process as everyone else reports

You didn't mention what the meds were for and if they were something you were taking before you quit or they are something you have started to take to aid your withdrawal. I never went down the medication route personally while detoxing, as my thinking was that the reason that all this was going on was due to the body trying to restore balance and equilibrium so I didn't want anything else rocking the boat while this process was going on. Having said that though, everyone is different aren't they and I'm sure for some people they've probably been a godsend while recovering and I wouldn't know because I never tried! lol

Anyways..One day at a time like john said, each day down is another day closer. It will get better.

Take care and all the best.

Default Day 125, but who's counting?

Who's counting? I am!
    To Cliff and others - as someone who smoked consistently for nearly 25 years and is now in their mid/late 40s, this journey to sobriety is a rough one. Add a pandemic (and a longer stint of unemployment than I had hoped) and I wonder if my timing to quit was off.
    But here I am, 4 months clean and although there are moments in every day since quitting where I've wanted to light up, I haven't.
    I've had some of the same symptoms: battling insomnia, major depression, and disturbing thoughts. But I tell myself these are the side effects of the withdrawal and they will pass, or at least subside. And they have. A little. And that little bit keeps me going because I know the worst is behind me.
    A few suggestions: I recently started seeing a therapist. I don't have any illusions that he'll 'cure' me but it helps to talk about my problems with a non-biased party. Also, I cannot stress how helpful meditation has been. I've been meditating twenty minutes every morning and every evening and it really helps. I've found one of my biggest hurdles is the need to "get out of my own head" for a while, and with mediation, I can do that. A simple mantra repeated can help me not to think about all the problems in my life and give my brain a few minutes reprieve to rest. But remember, the key to mediation is not to think. Unthink if you will. Our taxing withdrawal brains deserve it.
    Hope this helps and I'm cheering you on during these difficult times.

Quote Originally Posted by gateway loiterer View Post
    Who's counting? I am!
    To Cliff and others - as someone who smoked consistently for nearly 25 years and is now in their mid/late 40s, this journey to sobriety is a rough one. Add a pandemic (and a longer stint of unemployment than I had hoped) and I wonder if my timing to quit was off.
    But here I am, 4 months clean and although there are moments in every day since quitting where I've wanted to light up, I haven't.
    I've had some of the same symptoms: battling insomnia, major depression, and disturbing thoughts. But I tell myself these are the side effects of the withdrawal and they will pass, or at least subside. And they have. A little. And that little bit keeps me going because I know the worst is behind me.
    A few suggestions: I recently started seeing a therapist. I don't have any illusions that he'll 'cure' me but it helps to talk about my problems with a non-biased party. Also, I cannot stress how helpful meditation has been. I've been meditating twenty minutes every morning and every evening and it really helps. I've found one of my biggest hurdles is the need to "get out of my own head" for a while, and with mediation, I can do that. A simple mantra repeated can help me not to think about all the problems in my life and give my brain a few minutes reprieve to rest. But remember, the key to mediation is not to think. Unthink if you will. Our taxing withdrawal brains deserve it.
    Hope this helps and I'm cheering you on during these difficult times.
    Hey gateway loiterer

Great to read your update.
    Seems like you are doing some good things to help yourself along the journey. Kudos to you my friend!
    Keep up the good work!

For assistance with finding a reputable and accredited Marijuana Rehab Service Provider in the USA you can call the US Government’s FREE SAMHSA’s National Helpline on:

1-800-662-HELP (4357)

John

+ Reply to Thread

Advertising